* Re: [9fans] fun with replica and pull
       [not found] <CAL4LZyg=ip2bLy=AiOyKYevDKKcERpCZXNhKWDUWB9i7unYmag@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2011-12-20 13:23 ` erik quanstrom
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-12-20 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Dec 20 01:03:05 EST 2011, john@jfloren.net wrote:
> I'd like to install Erik's nupas, but according to contrib/install, a
> bunch of files have been modified locally, so it doesn't install them.
> Then, if I try to do a contrib/pull, it believes the package is up to
> date. Ok, great, so I do "replica/pull -v /dist/replica/nupas", which
> still complains that a ton of files are locally modified. As far as I
> can tell, you must specify each individual file in a -s switch to
> replica before it'll actually do the right thing--yuck. Is there any
> way for me to just install the thing and damn the consequences? I've
> looked at the list of files it's afraid to overwrite, they're not
> anything I made modifications to (or at least, no important
> modifications).

if you're feeling like a really big hammer, why not run pull
once, run through sed/awk/whatever to generate a complete
list of -s'es and run pull again?

disgusting, no?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fun with replica and pull
@ 2011-12-20 15:47   ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2011-12-20 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Replica(8) is bad at overlaying several sources...
Perhaps contrib(1) should hide this somehow.

* Re: [9fans] fun with replica and pull
@ 2011-12-20 15:57   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-12-20 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 5:23 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> if you're feeling like a really big hammer, why not run pull
> once, run through sed/awk/whatever to generate a complete
> list of -s'es and run pull again?
>
> disgusting, no?

it reminds me of why we went with hg on the NIX tree.

ron

* Re: [9fans] fun with replica and pull
@ 2011-12-20 16:09     ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2011-12-20 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 20, 2011, at 12:57 PM, ron minnich wrote:

> it reminds me of why we went with hg on the NIX tree.

because at the time you did it things like bitbucket and the hg port came to exist?

so what one should do, use replica to sync with sources and move the all the contribs
to bitbucket google code?

* Re: [9fans] fun with replica and pull
@ 2011-12-20 16:24       ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2011-12-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2011-12-20 17:09, Federico Benavento skrev:
> On Dec 20, 2011, at 12:57 PM, ron minnich wrote:
>> it reminds me of why we went with hg on the NIX tree.
>>
> because at the time you did it things like bitbucket and the hg port came to exist?
>
> so what one should do, use replica to sync with sources and move the all the contribs
> to bitbucket google code?

That sounds like a pretty good idea :)

I played with a similar idea with the
http://code.google.com/p/ports2plan9/

I am however still a beginner (I hope to improve my Plan9 skills and
learn as I go along with various (increasingly advanced) porting efforts
without actually having an "agenda" or aim as such), but if people want
to upload their contribs to that repository they are free to do so.

By the way - is someone working on an update of the Python2 port? and
what about the hg-git plugin? Just wondering if I should start playing
with those or leave that to someone else.

* Re: [9fans] fun with replica and pull
@ 2011-12-21  8:17   ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2011-12-21  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

No, not disgusting... I gonna do that, inspect the list, and do a pull. I
think I have cfg files backupped (at least, n-1 ;-)

@ 2011-12-21  0:15 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2011-12-21  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM, John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:
> I'd like to install Erik's nupas, but according to contrib/install, a
> bunch of files have been modified locally, so it doesn't install them.
> Then, if I try to do a contrib/pull, it believes the package is up to
> date. Ok, great, so I do "replica/pull -v /dist/replica/nupas", which
> still complains that a ton of files are locally modified. As far as I
> can tell, you must specify each individual file in a -s switch to
> replica before it'll actually do the right thing--yuck. Is there any
> way for me to just install the thing and damn the consequences? I've
> looked at the list of files it's afraid to overwrite, they're not
> anything I made modifications to (or at least, no important
> modifications).
>

> John

I ended up writing "decontrib", which will download all the files from
a contrib package into a local directory and make a tarball for you.
Then you can do whatever you like.

Thus:

% decontrib quanstro nupas
[lots of output removed]
% ls | grep nupas
nupas
nupas.tgz
% lc nupas
386		README	acme	mail		rc		sys
%

It's in /n/sources/contrib/john/decontrib

* Re: [9fans] fun with replica and pull
@ 2011-12-20  9:21     ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2011-12-20  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes, I expected that. thanks! Peter

@ 2011-12-20  9:17   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-12-20  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> pull -s *

This will not work. You need to pull each file that is marked
as modified, prefixed by the -s option to take the server (the labs)
version or -c to keep the version you have locally (and silence
the error).

It is the work of moments to load the debug printed by pull -v
into favorite plan9 editor, and modify it into a command line
to fetch the modified files.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] fun with replica and pull
@ 2011-12-20  8:48 ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2011-12-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I experienced the same when pulling system files after some time of not
upgrading. Also, I am pretty sure that I have not modified those files
listed as modified locally. I tried pull -s *, but it did not work at all.

Thanks,
Peter.

* [9fans] fun with replica and pull
@ 2011-12-20  6:00 John Floren