* [9fans] Network Error
@ 2014-04-03 19:34 Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-04-03 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9fans,

I have re-installed 9atom on my Crunchbang Linux system under VirtualBox. I
am now using a USB based wifi adapter which works under the Crunchbang side
of things. However, under Plan 9, there is no ethernet file, as shown in
the attached screenshot.

My settings in VirtualBox are attached also.

Many thanks!

Shane.

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot - 040414 - 06:29:42.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 79430 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Screenshot - 040414 - 06:30:56.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 45461 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Network Error
@ 2014-04-03 19:38 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-03 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have re-installed 9atom on my Crunchbang Linux system under VirtualBox. I
> am now using a USB based wifi adapter which works under the Crunchbang side
> of things. However, under Plan 9, there is no ethernet file, as shown in
> the attached screenshot.
>
> My settings in VirtualBox are attached also.

so what's the output of pci?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Network Error
@ 2014-04-03 19:46   ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-04-03 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ack, I've shut the computer down, so I can head to uni - on my Macbook now.
Can I get back to you on that one please Erik?

Many thanks!

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 6:38 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> > I have re-installed 9atom on my Crunchbang Linux system under
> VirtualBox. I
> > am now using a USB based wifi adapter which works under the Crunchbang
> side
> > of things. However, under Plan 9, there is no ethernet file, as shown in
> > the attached screenshot.
> >
> > My settings in VirtualBox are attached also.
>
> so what's the output of pci?
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Network Error
@ 2014-04-03 19:48     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-03 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Ack, I've shut the computer down, so I can head to uni - on my Macbook now.
> Can I get back to you on that one please Erik?

sure.  the output of "cat /dev/kmesg" would be useful as well.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Network Error
@ 2014-04-03 20:37 ` peterhull90
From: peterhull90 @ 2014-04-03 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Have you tried the other adapters in VirtualBox? All my set-ups are using the Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM).

Pete

@ 2014-04-03 21:00   ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-04-03 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Pete,

It might be the adapter type - I was sure I had selected the PRO/1000 MT
Server, but looking at the screenshot, its the PRO/1000 T Server. I'll look
into it when I get home from uni this afternoon, might just reinstall, I
haven't done anything with the image yet.

Erik, if I run into any more problems after verifying the adapter type,
I'll be sure to post those outputs for you.

Many thanks!

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 7:37 AM, <peterhull90@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Have you tried the other adapters in VirtualBox? All my set-ups are
> using the Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM).
> Pete

* Re: [9fans] Network Error
@ 2014-04-03 21:07     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-03 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It might be the adapter type - I was sure I had selected the PRO/1000 MT
> Server, but looking at the screenshot, its the PRO/1000 T Server. I'll look
> into it when I get home from uni this afternoon, might just reinstall, I
> haven't done anything with the image yet.
>
> Erik, if I run into any more problems after verifying the adapter type,
> I'll be sure to post those outputs for you.

we'll have to look at the dids to be sure.  i wouldn't want to gloss over
a real issue by easter egging.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Network Error
@ 2014-04-03 21:11       ` Shane Morris