* [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
@ 2016-01-09 19:21 Anthony Sorace
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2016-01-09 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anyone got anything? USB dongle we can drive, or an ethernet bridge folks have had good results with? WiFi with WPA2 is ideal, but the only hard requirement for my use case is power: it needs to either draw directly or be able to draw power via USB.

* Re: [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
@ 2016-01-09 20:28 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-01-09 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have an idea that would be cool for a GSOC project. I'm not sure how well
it would work.

Use an ESP01 (esp8266)+USB-to-serial for a WiFi interface, possibly
exposing the WiFi module's interface (AT commands and channels) as a 9P fs.

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016, 11:43 a.m. Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> Anyone got anything? USB dongle we can drive, or an ethernet bridge folks
> have had good results with? WiFi with WPA2 is ideal, but the only hard
> requirement for my use case is power: it needs to either draw directly or
> be able to draw power via USB.

* Re: [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
@ 2016-01-09 20:37   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-01-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have the ESP01 and I don't think it makes sense to use this device
in combination with such powerful hardware. It's most suited for much
smaller devices that wouldn't be able to run a linux kernel
themselves.

I recommend this openwrt router for your purposes instead:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/unbranded/a5-v11

* Re: [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
@ 2016-01-10  1:49 ` California Electric
From: California Electric @ 2016-01-10  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I’ve used the following Ethernet- Wifi bridge for years:
	NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter

Configuration is via a web browser.

Power sometimes works from a pi usb port, sometimes it needs a separate supply - depends on the individual pi and it’s power supply. Always works from a powered hub.

Greg

@ 2016-01-10 10:33   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-01-10 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

here's an other very nice device I recommend that is comparable to the w703n:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gl-inet/gl-ar150

* Re: [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
@ 2016-01-10 10:50 ` David Pick
From: David Pick @ 2016-01-10 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 09/01/16 19:21, Anthony Sorace wrote:

> Anyone got anything? USB dongle we can drive, or an ethernet bridge
> folks have had good results with? WiFi with WPA2 is ideal, but the
> only hard requirement for my use case is power: it needs to either
> draw directly or be able to draw power via USB.

Mikrotik RMmAP2n at http://routerboard.com/RBmAP2n

Small physical size. Can be powered via USB, two Ethernet ports, WiFi
client or base station with WPA/WPA2. Internal antenna. Quite cheap,

--
David Pick
Network Security Manager, IT Services

* Re: [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
@ 2016-01-10 18:08   ` michaelian ennis
From: michaelian ennis @ 2016-01-10 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Anthony on 7/12/11 you asked about the Realtek 8188/8192 .  I've seen a few
raspi bundles that have the EDIMax  EW-7811Un with them.  This is a  0x7392
: 0x7811 implementation of a RealTek RTL8188CUS  which worked out of the
box for me with the raspian and stratux images. I easily found a data sheet
for this device on line but it is marked confidential.   I know it's gauche
suggest referencing linux drivers.  However they happen to be here:

Realtek
http://bit.ly/1gMGkGo

EDIMax
http://bit.ly/1Mh4hWo

and contain PDF's themselves that may maybe helpful.

Ian

* Re: [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
@ 2016-01-19 15:37     ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2016-01-19 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use ASUS wl-330n3g as bridge. WAN to Ethernet.

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
@ 2016-01-09 20:47 sl
From: sl @ 2016-01-09 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyone got anything? USB dongle we can drive, or an ethernet bridge
> folks have had good results with? WiFi with WPA2 is ideal, but the
> only hard requirement for my use case is power: it needs to either
> draw directly or be able to draw power via USB.

Iogear GWU627
	802.11n
	connect ethernet port to GWU627
	HTTP management interface requires Javascript. Managed to program
	it using Inferno's charon browser, which supports ecmascript 1.0.

Vonets VAP11G
	802.11g
	connect ethernet port to VAP11G
	Requires a proprietary Windows program (ships with the device) to
	program its settings before using it for the first time.

sl

* Re: [9fans] Wireless on the Pi?
       [not found] <2089168085.2111009.1452370472349.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-01-09 20:14 ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2016-01-09 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 1/9/16, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
> Anyone got anything? USB dongle we can drive, or an ethernet bridge
> folks have had good results with? WiFi with WPA2 is ideal, but the only
> hard requirement for my use case is power: it needs to either draw directly
> or be able to draw power via USB.

Not yet.  I've taken a look at a couple of devices, but I've only had time
to get far enough to find that usbd seems to have trouble reading the ID
information out of both of the units I've tried.  I don't see any time coming
up soon when I'll be able to spend on it.

BLS