From: ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9p server to multiply 9p messages?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 12:21:59 -0700	[thread overview]

not for 9p, but in 1993, when Gene Kim interned with me at the
Supercomputing Research Center, we did this:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Bigfoot-NFS-%3A-A-Parallel-File-Striping-NFS-Server-(-Kim/19cb61337bab7b4de856fcbf29b55965647be091,
similar in spirit to your idea.

The core idea was that we distributed the files over the set of
servers, and replicated directory trees to avoid the usual troubles:
we did not want to implement a metadata server. So each NFS request
was fanned out to 32 machines, vector rpc style, and because the
networks of that time were so slow, it was not that much slower than
you'd expect.

It worked, it gave us what was at the time a really big NFS server,
the paper got rejected twice at usenix, the original full paper is
long lost, the code? probably lost too.

It was available from super.org in 1993, but ... that's not on the
wayback machine.