* [9fans] raspberry pi root over tcp
@ 2016-11-24 17:48 James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-11-24 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi folks,

I can boot a raspberry pi using its local fossil, and I can
mount a remote fileserver using 9fs once it is booted. Next,
I wanted to try and mount the filesystem as the pi's root.

Based on this

http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/8/plan9.ini
http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/8/boot

I tried using the following to mount the root off a 9atom
file server I have running on 10.0.1.200:

bootargs=tcp!10.0.1.200!564

Per the discussion I had with folks here earlier, I've set
the same host owner, password, and secstore on both
machine.  I want this raspberry pi to act as an auth
server.  I had originally intended for it to be a standalone
auth server, but based on input from folks I want to see
whether or not I can mount the auth server's root from
the fileserver.

Upon trying to boot the pi prompted for root, selected the
default (tcp) after 5 seconds, and then threw this:

panic: boot process died: undefined instruction: pc 0x605c

before rebooting itself.  I won't get a chance to dig into it
until later this weekend, but wanted to ask if anyone had
seen this themselves and knew what  I was doing wrong.

Jim

* Re: [9fans] raspberry pi root over tcp
@ 2016-11-24 18:58 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-11-24 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hi,

i haven't tried using a pi as an authority server, i have run one as a disk less terminal booting off my file server.

i will try this again tonight as i have been meaning to do so,
i will report back later...

-Steve

@ 2016-11-24 19:11 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2016-11-24 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> panic: boot process died: undefined instruction: pc 0x605c

I bet that's a SWPW instruction - valid for armv5, deprecated
for armv6, and illegal for armv7.

You probably want to apply patch/armv7-atomic on your server
and rebuild the arm binaries.

If you're booting any old armv5 machines from the same server,
their kernels will need updating with that patch too.

* Re: [9fans] raspberry pi root over tcp
@ 2016-11-25 17:05   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-11-25 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs