From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] proposal: a patch acceptance system
Date: Mon,  3 Nov 2003 10:05:19 -0500	[thread overview]

> I' afraid, I cannot concur :-(
> I think this approach lacks transparency. You never know
> if somebody is not up reading his/her mail/news or if
> the article didn't make it to the relevant places or if
> it's being ignored at purpose or or or...
>
> I would welcome a patch submission, acknowledging and
> feedbacking system...

this is what andrey was talking about.
how does it not address these?

     PATCH(1)                                                 PATCH(1)

     NAME
          patch - simple patch creation and tracking system

     SYNOPSIS
          patch/create name files ... [ < description ]

          patch/list [ name ... ]

          patch/diff name

          patch/apply name

          patch/undo name

          patch/note name [ < note ]

     DESCRIPTION
          These scripts are a simple patch submission and tracking
          system used to propose additions or changes to Plan 9.  Each
          patch has a name and is stored in /n/sources/patch/name.

          Patch/create creates a new patch consisting of the changes
          to the listed files, reading a description of the patch from
          standard input.

          Patch/list displays information about the named patches, or
          all currently pending patches if none are specified.

          Patch/diff shows a patch as diffs between the original
          source files and the patched source files.

          Patch/apply applies the patch to the current source tree.
          It is intended to be run by the Plan 9 developers with
          emelie as their root file system.  If the source has changed
          since the patch was created, apply will report the conflict
          and not change any files.  Before changing any files,
          patch/apply makes backup copies of the current source tree's
          files.  The backups are stored in the patch directory.

          Patch/undo will copy the backups saved by patch/apply back
          into the source tree.  It will not restore a backup if the
          file being replaced is not byte-identical to the one created
          by patch/apply.

     EXAMPLES
          Propose a change to pwd, which you have modified locally:

               % patch/create pwd-errors /sys/src/cmd/pwd.c
               Fix pwd to print errors to fd 2 rather than 1.
               ^D
               %

          Then the developers at Bell Labs run

               patch/diff pwd-errors

          to inspect the change (possibly viewing
          /n/sources/patch/pwd-errors/pwd.c to see the larger con-
          text).  To make the change, they run

               patch/apply pwd-errors

          Otherwise they run

               % patch/note pwd-errors
               Pwd should definitely print errors to fd 1 because ...
               ^D
               %

          to add a note to the /n/sources/pwd-errors/notes file.

     FILES
          /n/sources/patch

     SOURCE
          /rc/bin/patch