* [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03  2:12 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-03  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's up to the point of DHCP'ing for its 'root is from' and I see the
packets, so the rhine driver looks good.

I will bring home my t21 laptop tomorrow (this is all on my dining table,
think I'll have to take a picture) and see if I can get it all the way up.

If this works, then booting plan 9 direct from linuxbios is a reality, and
I don't need 9load. Next step is to get that plan 9 in flash to do no more
than boot another plan 9; looks doable.

ron

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03  2:19 ` David Presotto
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-03  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

cool.

I think I'm writing XSLT and don't know it.  I needed to transform some XML
to another form and wanted to use AWK.  I found it inadequate and now I'm
writing my own thing.  I think I'm an idiot but I looked at XSLT and ran
away screaming.

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03  2:25   ` Dan Cross
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-11-03  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org> writes:
> cool.

Lawyer:	``Is it cool like the moors of Scotland?''
Homer:	``Yes!  D'oh!''

> I think I'm writing XSLT and don't know it.  I needed to transform some XML
> to another form and wanted to use AWK.  I found it inadequate and now I'm
> writing my own thing.  I think I'm an idiot but I looked at XSLT and ran
> away screaming.

Aren't there pre-existing python modules that do that?  Don't we have
a python port?  Or is that an allegory, like Willy's beard?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03  2:27 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-11-03  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

where are you getting plan9.ini from?

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03  2:29     ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I dinna know. That's why I posted to 9fans.  I figure if I can do it in
a few days, its worth it.  Otherwise I'll look harder.

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03  2:44   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-11-03  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| I think I'm an idiot but I looked at XSLT and ran
| away screaming.

``The essence of XML is this: the problem it solves is not hard, and it
does not solve the problem well.''
-- Phil Wadler, POPL 2003

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03  5:25   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-03  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, David Presotto wrote:

> I think I'm writing XSLT and don't know it.  I needed to transform some XML
> to another form and wanted to use AWK.  I found it inadequate and now I'm
> writing my own thing.  I think I'm an idiot but I looked at XSLT and ran
> away screaming.

I don't see the problem here. According to xslt.com, "XSLT enables and
empowers interoperability. "

What's not to like? Are you worried that we can't leverage synergies
across the enterprise with a dynamic, active transform that can
re-engineer our process structures for seamless interoperation of our
systems, thus giving us a bridge to the 21st century? Is that it?

Damn, I didn't even use a computer program for that previous paragraph.
It's up to you to prove that I didn't grab it from some web page
somewhere.

@ 2003-11-03  5:29     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-03  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hey, I just timed it: power-on to root prompt, 7 seconds. And with a bit
more work I can get it down to < 5.

So think about this: on-demand computing with plan 9 means you just turn
off the CPUs until you need them, since booting them is not exactly a
lengthy process.

I was surprised to see how much more quickly Plan 9 came up than 9load
does. Not expected.

@ 2003-11-03  5:31   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-03  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> where are you getting plan9.ini from?

you're so picky. Plan.ini. Where's it from. Well. Hmm. Gee. Ah. .......
Should I tell you? Maybe you'll just get mad.

OK, I'll tell you: I don't use it currently. Just to get somewhere, I just
set all the options in main.c. I'm willing to do this as this is the
bootstrap Plan 9, so I'm ok with it; and besides, this little node is
basically sealed shut -- you could weld the case shut -- so plan9.ini is
kinda not a sensible thing in that case.

Sorry, don't get too upset with me :-)

@ 2003-11-03 10:15     ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2003-11-03 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I don't see the problem here. According to xslt.com, "XSLT enables and
>>empowers interoperability. "

which sometimes means: ``we don't understand each others' XML because
it's hard to do correctly and we hardly ever bother to check, so XSLT can
convert my XML to your XML so two things might work together once more''

that's before the arrival of SOAP.  now your application is all washed up!

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-03 16:20   ` John Kodis
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: John Kodis @ 2003-11-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <fedc67e8eceb5f0e62cd3cc7d53c8b69@plan9.bell-labs.com>,
David Presotto wrote:

>  I think I'm writing XSLT and don't know it.  I needed to transform
>  some XML to another form and wanted to use AWK.  I found it
>  inadequate and now I'm writing my own thing.  I think I'm an idiot
>  but I looked at XSLT and ran away screaming.

It's a shame that there's no awk-equivalent language for XML.  In
spite of all the promise of XML, at least for simple things it's
usually much easier transform simple text files of data than it is the
same data when stored as XML.

If I were facing a similar problem, I'd consider writing a simple
lexer that could convert well-formed XML into lisp sexprs, use lisp or
scheme to do the transformation, and then reverse-munge the resulting
sexprs back into XML.

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis@mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03 16:31     ` David Presotto
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-03 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	It's a shame that there's no awk-equivalent language for XML.  In
	spite of all the promise of XML, at least for simple things it's
	usually much easier transform simple text files of data than it is the
	same data when stored as XML.

I'm getting there...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2997 bytes --]

From: John Kodis <kodis@mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:20:50 GMT

@ 2003-11-03 16:43     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-03 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, John Kodis wrote:

> If I were facing a similar problem, I'd consider writing a simple
> lexer that could convert well-formed XML into lisp sexprs, use lisp or
> scheme to do the transformation, and then reverse-munge the resulting
> sexprs back into XML.

yep. Or you can do what we do, look at XML, recover from the experience,
and just sexprs without ever using XML at all :-)

@ 2003-11-03 17:38     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-11-03 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ron minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> writes:
> Damn, I didn't even use a computer program for that previous paragraph.
> It's up to you to prove that I didn't grab it from some web page
> somewhere.

My only concern is that it hasn't been whiteboarded enough to ensure
compatibility with our core paradigms.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] EPIA platform from linuxbios
@ 2003-11-03 19:38     ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-11-03 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| It's a shame that there's no awk-equivalent language for XML.

Phil Wadler has published some stuff on that topic.
Check out his web page.

@ 2003-11-04  6:22     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-11-04  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If I were facing a similar problem, I'd consider writing a simple
> lexer that could convert well-formed XML into lisp sexprs, use lisp or
> scheme to do the transformation, and then reverse-munge the resulting
> sexprs back into XML.

FYI, there is this library:

http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rivest/sexp.html