* Re: [9fans] emacs vs plan9
@ 2004-04-10 18:19 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2004-04-10 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> GNU Emacs is an OS with multitasking, good API for parallel programming

GNU/Emacs is a great OS - I just wish it had a better text editor.

* Re: [9fans] emacs vs plan9
@ 2004-04-12  2:16 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-04-12  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Re that person I mentioned who did a distributed computing environment in
emacs in 1990. Best quote:
"We don't do ODE or PDE in this environment, because we are the phone
company, and we don't care".

Great quote, although I am sure that from time to time the phone guys do
an occasional ODE or PDE.

ron

* Re: [9fans] emacs vs plan9
@ 2004-04-12  2:14     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-04-12  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Russ Cox wrote:

> are you sure?  plan 9 is typically pretty
> easy to port to a new architecture.

oh, all right, lack of existence does not prove you can't run plan 9 under
emacs.

ron

* Re: [9fans] emacs vs plan9
@ 2004-04-12  1:54     ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-04-12  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> thanks a lot for the explanation. I think I understood it.

You should read Rob's comment with deepest attention
what he is really saying.  His word is always terse enough
for us. ☺

You must be careful this philosophy is not always been kept
in the present Plan 9 distribution.  I don't know the reason,
however, I guess everything has done in the restriction of
time and man powers...  If you are a kind of programmer
who wants to invent something and has skills for it, you will
find many interesting targets in the present Plan 9 dsitribution.
I'm aware of it, however, unfortunately, I have no such good
skill, sigh...   This must be a target for young skilled programmer,
I think.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] emacs vs plan9
@ 2004-04-10 16:55   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-04-10 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-04-10 16:53   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-10 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> emacs is kind of a poor man's lisp machine for those who remember such.

that reminds me of the vi(1) [editor] turing machine.

> Emacs could run under plan 9, plan 9 can not run under emacs. I guess I
> think of one of these as a superset of the other, guess which one :-)

could you port plan 9 to the vi(1) turing machine?

;)

* Re: [9fans] emacs vs plan9
@ 2004-04-10 16:28 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-04-10 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

interesting, I saw a talk from a bellcore dude in 1990 who was using emacs
for distributed/parallel programming for telco stuff.

@ 2004-04-10  7:41   ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-04-10  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Rob,

thanks a lot for the explanation. I think I understood it.

David

* Re: [9fans] emacs vs plan9
@ 2004-04-10  6:32 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2004-04-10  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

saying 'everything is an edit buffer' doesn't get you very far.
you still need to talk about naming, authentication, security,
remote access, and so on.  you do get a user interface, though,
and that is clearly a powerful starting point.

saying 'everything is a file' brings along with it everything to
do with files that we're already familiar with: naming, permissions,
security, and so on.  a really telling detail is that network file systems
are well understood, so if we make everything a file we immediately
have remote access to everything.  we don't have a user interface
to something, at least the way emacs has (editing etc.) but we do
have shell scripts and other ways to build things from basics.

'better' is a bad term when comparing system design.  the goals
of systems differ.  but i think that 'file' brings more powerful and
systems-capable ideas to the table than does 'edit buffer'.

-rob

* [9fans] emacs vs plan9
@ 2004-04-10  6:11 David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-04-10  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

this is not cheating or trolling, really. I had written quite a bit of
parallel, asynchronously and synchronously intercommunicating code for
emacs.

GNU Emacs is an OS with multitasking, good API for parallel programming,
and a single unifying paradigm:

	everything is an edit buffer.

Including special devices, directories etc.
What are advantages of Plan9's

	everything is a file server

over it?

David Tolpin