* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  6:26 YAMANASHI Takeshi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-24  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Happy Holidays!
> may be more neutral to all 9fans.?

Oops.  Sorry for that. :)

> By the what is merrit/demerrit of qemu or Xen.

my humble comparisons between Xen and qemu are:
  - Xen shows a better performance.
  - qemu doesn't need special privilege to install/use.
    but Xen needs to be installed before any other OSes.
  - Xen requires guest OSes to be ported to Xen while qemu doesn't.
  - qemu has a vga device supported by aux/vga while Xen doesn't (yet)

> Xen for servers and qemu for terminal even Windows?

p9 terminal running under qemu would be
an easy way to get around vga hell for free.

Many Linux nodes running Xen could be a possible base
for 9grid nodes. ;)

* Re: Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 18:34 ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-25 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

or at least freshly cooked spaghetti or other pasta

Mix the ground meats together in a large bowl,
   then mix each of the other ingredients.
Make balls about the size of a baby?s fist
   (there should be one lying around for reference).
Bake at 400°for about 25 minutes -
   or you could fry them in olive oil.
Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours.
Serve on spaghetti.
Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine can easily be turned into Eggplant Parmesan
If you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal -
after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young
family members...

6 newborn or veal cutlets
Tomato gravy (see index)
4 cups mozzarella, 1cup parmesan, 1cup romano
Seasoned bread crumbs  mixed with
   parmesan
   romano
   salt
   pepper
   oregano
   garlic powder
   chopped parsley
Flour
eggwash (eggs and milk)
Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets.
Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture.
Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil.
In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy,
   then one of meat, gravy, and cheese.
Another

* Re: Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 22:52 ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-25 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

can be found under a cabbage leaf -
or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck
Onions
peppers
celery
garlic
soy sauce
salt pepper, etc
Olive oil
breadcrumbs
Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes to soften.
In skillet, brown the meat in a little olive oil,
   then add onions, peppers, and celery (all chopped finely)
   and season well.
Place in a large bowl and cool.
Add seasoned breadcrumbs and a little of the tomato gravy,
   enough to make the mixture pliable.
Divide the stuffing among the cabbage leaves then roll.
Place seam down in a baking pan.
Ladle tomato gravy on top,
   and bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.

Umbilical Cordon Bleu

Nothing is so beautiful as the bond between mother and child,
so why not consume it?
Children or chicken breasts will work wonderfully also.

4 whole umbilical chords (or baby breasts, or chicken breasts)
4 thin slices of smoked ham, and Gruyere cheese
Flour
eggwash (milk and eggs)
seasoned bread crumbs
1 onion
minced
salt
pepper
butter
olive oil

Pound the breasts flat (parboil first if using umbilical
   cords so they won?t be tough).
Place a slice of ham and cheese on each, along with some minced onion
   then fold in half, trimming neatly.
Dredge in flour, eggwash, then seasoned breadcrumbs;
   allow to sit for a few minutes.
Sauté in butter and olive oil until golden brown,
   about 6 minutes on each side.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-26  5:03 ` Karl Magdsick
From: Karl Magdsick @ 2004-12-26  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Also, QEMU allows x86 OSes to run on non-x86 hardware while Xen does not.

Are the non-x86 Plan9 versions still being actively maintained?

-Karl

@ 2004-12-26 17:09   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-12-26 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Magdsick, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Are the non-x86 Plan9 versions still being actively maintained?

As much as the x86 ones are.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-27  9:34         ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-27  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Johnson, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Never.  It usually seems very stable (but slow) for me.

qemu -L . -m 128 -hda c:/path/to/disk/image -cdrom c:/path/to/iso/image
-localtime -boot d

Oh, and it ignores disk images in the qcow format.
The problem is 100% reproducible.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 23:08 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-25 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

break with a fork.
Cook a fresh pot of long grained white rice.

Pre-mie Pot Pie

When working with prematurely delivered newborns (or chicken) use sherry;
red wine with beef (buy steak or roast, do not pre-boil).

Pie crust (see index)
Whole fresh pre-mie; eviscerated, head, hands and feet removed
Onions, bell pepper, celery
½ cup wine
Root vegetables of choice (turnips, carrots, potatoes, etc) cubed

Make a crust from scratch - or go shamefully to the frozen food section
   of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you
   will need one for the top also).
Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones.
Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth.
Brown the onions, peppers and celery.
Add the meat then season, continue browning.
De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth.
Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy,
   reduce oven to 325.
Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together
   then poke holes in top.
Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup.
Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to
procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and
he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned
½ cup cooking oil
Carrots
onions
broccoli
whole cabbage
fresh green beans
potato
turnip
celery
tomato
½ stick butter
1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil.
Add a little water, season, then add the carcass.
Simmer for half an hour keeping the

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 21:07 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-25 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

and
   fruit such as pineapples or cherries on the skewers.
Don?t be afraid to use a variety of meats.
Grill to medium rare,
   serve with garlic cous-cous and sautéed asparagus.
Coffee and sherbet for desert then walnuts, cheese, and port.
Cigars for the gentlemen (and ladies if they so desire)!

Crock-Pot Crack Baby

When the quivering, hopelessly addicted crack baby succumbs to death,
get him immediately butchered and into the crock-pot, so that any
remaining toxins will not be fatal. But don?t cook it too long,
because like Blowfish, there is a perfect medium between the poisonous
and the stimulating. Though it may not have the same effect on your
guests, a whole chicken cooked in this fashion is also mighty tasty.

1 newborn - cocaine addicted, freshly expired, cleaned and butchered
Carrots
onions
leeks
celery
bell pepper
potatoes
Salt
pepper
garlic, etc
4 cups water

Cut the meat into natural pieces and brown very well in olive oil,
   remove, then brown half of the onions, the bell pepper, and celery.
When brown, mix everything into the crock-pot, and in 6 to 8 hours you
   have turned a hopeless trage

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 20:51 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-25 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

-Back Ribs

Beef ribs or pork ribs can be used in this recipe,
and that is exactly what your dinner guests will assume!
An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood
yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks
3 cups barbecue sauce or honey glaze (see index)
Salt
black pepper
white pepper
paprika

Remove the silverskin by loosening from the edges,
   then stripping off.
Season generously, rubbing the mixture into the baby?s flesh.
Place 1 quart water in a baking pan, the meat on a wire rack.
Bake uncovered in 250° oven for 1½ hours.
When browned, remove and glaze,
   return to oven and bake 20 minutes more to form a glaze.
Cut ribs into individual pieces and serve with extra sauce.

Fresh Sausage

If it becomes necessary to hide the fact that you are eating
human babies, this is the perfect solution.
But if you are still paranoid, you can substitute pork butt.

5 lb. lean chuck roast
3 lb. prime baby butt
2 tablespoons each:
   salt
   black, white and cayenne peppers
   celery salt
   garlic powder
   parsley flakes
   brown sugar
1 teaspoon sage
2 onions
6 cloves garlic
bunch green onions, chopped

Cut the children?s butts and the beef roast into pieces
   that will fit in the grinder.
Run the meat through using a 3/16 grinding plate.
Add garlic, onions and seasoning then mix well.
Add just enough water for a smooth consistency, then mix again.
Form the sausage mixture into patties or stuff into natural casings.

Stillborn Stew

By definition, this meat cannot be had altogether fresh,
but have the lifeless unfortunate available immediately after delivery,
or use high quality beef or pork roasts (it is cheaper and better to
cut up a whole roast than to buy stew meat).

1 stillbirth, de-boned and cubed
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 large onions
bell pepper
celery
garlic
½ cup red wine
3 Irish p

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 20:09 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-12-25 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

layer with vegetables seasoning and butter.
Bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.
Serve with hot dinner rolls, fruit salad and sparkling water.

Bébé Buffet 1

Show off with whole roasted children replete with apples in mouths -
and babies? heads stuffed with wild rice. Or keep it simple with a
hearty main course such as stew, lasagna, or meat loaf.

Some suggestions

Pre-mie pot pies, beef stew, leg of lamb, stuffed chicken, roast pork spiral ham,
Cranberry pineapple salad, sweet potatoes in butter, vegetable platter, tossed salad with tomato and avocado, parsley new potatoes, spinich cucumber salad, fruit salad
Bran muffins, dinner rolls, soft breadsticks, rice pilaf, croissants
Apple cake with rum sauce, frosted banana nut bread sherbet, home made brownies
Iced tea, water, beer, bloody marys, lemonade, coffee

The guests select food, beverages, silverware... everything from the buffet table.
They move to wherever they are comfortable, and sit with whoever they choose.
Provide trays so your guests will not spill everything all over your house from
carrying too much, nor will they have to make 10 trips

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 20:03 ` Kenji Okamoto
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-25 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

inexpensive than buying pieces.

1 tiny human, cut into pieces
2 cups flour
Onion, garlic
Salt
pepper
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
hot sauce, etc.
Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic.
Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours.
Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag,
   drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly,
   then deep fry in hot oil (350°) for about 15 minutes.
Drain and place on paper towels.

Miscarriage with Mustard Greens

Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens.
The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables;
green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t
be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.

1 premature baby, born dead
Large bunch of mustard greens
2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery
Vegetable oil (or hog fat)
Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot.
Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed).
Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water
   when it starts to stick.
Stir frequently.
When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea.
Coffee and apple pie then brandy.

Maternity Ward Pot Luck Dinner

If you can?t get anything fresh from the hospital, nursery, or morgue;
you can at least get rid of all the leftovers in your refrigerator.

1 - 2 lbs. cubed meat (human flesh, chicken, turkey, beef...)
1 -2 lbs. coarsely chopped vegetables
   (carrots, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...)
Bell pepper
onions
garlic
ginger
salt pepper, etc.
Olive oil
butter

Brown the meat and some cho

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 19:49   ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-25 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-12-25 19:38 ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[...]

Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick.
Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock,
   so that it remains boiling the whole time.
Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender
   (2 hours approximately).
Continue seasoning to taste.
Before serving, add butter and pasta,
   serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat
(of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp).
Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with
a fresh salad? Versatility is

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 19:13 ` jmk
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: jmk @ 2004-12-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[...]

@ 2004-12-25 19:02 ` Kenji Okamoto
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-25 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that it remains boiling the whole time.
Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender
   (2 hours approximately).
Continue seasoning to taste.
Before serving, add butter and pasta,
   serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat
(of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp).
Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with
a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue,
as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the
morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a
drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup bean sprouts
5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped
5 cloves minced garlic
4-6 ounces bamboo shoots
Sherry
chicken broth
oil for deep frying (1 gallon)
Salt
pepper
soy & teriyaki
minced ginger, etc.
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water
1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing:
   Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces
      then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove.
   Stir-fry the vegetables.
   Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning.
   De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol.
   Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes.
   Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick,
      then place the stuffing into a colander and cool;
   2 hours
Wrap the rolls:
   Place 3 tablespoons of stuffing in the wrap, roll tightly -
      corner nearest you first, fold 2 side corners in,
      wrap ti

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-25 18:58   ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-25 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[...]

Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil,
   place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter.

@ 2004-12-25 18:32 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-12-25 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

and potatoes,
   and simmer till root vegetables break with a fork.

@ 2004-12-25 18:14 ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-25 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[...]

@ 2004-12-24 23:20 ` jmk
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: jmk @ 2004-12-24 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Dec 24 00:24:02 EST 2004, 9.nashi@gmail.com wrote:
> I thought the port was 0x0300.  Some page claims it to be so.
>  http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/HowToNetwork-en.html

I believe the port is at 0x300 if you specify the 'ISA only'
option, i.e. no PCI devices.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24 17:23       ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2004-12-24 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:02:53 +0200, Tiit Lankots <t.lankots@aprote.ee> wrote:
> I tried the QEmu on Windows XP, and it totally fucked up my Plan 9
> .iso image. It seems to overwrite random sectors. Has anybody else
> seen this happen?

Never.  It usually seems very stable (but slow) for me.

Which options did you use when launching qemu?

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24 13:02     ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-12-24 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2004-12-24  6:55   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-12-24  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ellis, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you can use

qemu -cdrom plan9.iso -hda big-empty-file -boot d

to boot the install cd and then install onto the big
empty file.  but a real hard disk image would work
just as well.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:43:39 +1100, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did I miss the qemu post that says how to invoke qemu with plan9?
> I guess more specifically what do I use for the image file?
> If it's simply the floppy image, which russ' message might seem
> to imply, then I'll go back to sleep.
>
> Hope you all had a good Solstice.
>
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  6:43 ` Bruce Ellis

From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-24  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > cpu0: 735MHz GenuineIntel PentiumPro (cpuid: AX 0x0613 DX 0xA1BD)

A native p9 cpu server running on the identical hardware gives:

	cpu0: 737MHz GenuineIntel PentiumIII/Xeon (cpuid: AX 0x0686 DX 0x387F9FF)
	#l0: i82557: 100Mbps port 0xBC00 irq 5: 0040CA96806F

> > #l0: NE2000: 10Mbps port 0xC100 irq 9 addr 0x4000 size 0x4000: 525400123456

I'm not sure what wire speeds mean in virtual NICs. :)

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  5:54 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-12-24  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Jim and I looked at the QEMU disk issue today.  The problem
> is that QEMU doesn't implement the (required) execute device
> diagnostics command.  The following patch fixes QEMU.  I will
> send it to the QEMU guys too.

Awesome!
By the way, might be able to get some publicity out of
this in the form of:

    http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ossupport.html
and
    http://www.freeoszoo.org/

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  5:47 ` Kenji Okamoto
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-24  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> cpu0: 735MHz GenuineIntel PentiumPro (cpuid: AX 0x0613 DX 0xA1BD)

What is the real clock of that machine?

> #l0: NE2000: 10Mbps port 0xC100 irq 9 addr 0x4000 size 0x4000: 525400123456

Only 10Mbps?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  5:41 ` Kenji Okamoto
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-24  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> wishing a Merry Christmas to all 9fans. :)

I was taught fro  someone,
Happy Holidays!
may be more neutral to all 9fans.☺

By the what is merrit/demerrit of qemu or Xen.

Xen for servers and qemu for terminal even Windows?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  5:23 YAMANASHI Takeshi
                   ` (8 more replies)
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-12-24  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Dec 24 13:25:39 JST 2004, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> The NIC works
> (as far as I could test it by pinging the gateway returned
> by DHCP and the host IP address) but it needs the nodummyrr
> option. This is what I had in plan9.ini:
>
> 	ether0=type=ne2000 port=0xC100 mem=0x04000 size=0x4000 nodummyrr

Great thanks!!!
I've got a diskless terminal to boot under qemu.

I thought the port was 0x0300.  Some page claims it to be so.
 http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/HowToNetwork-en.html

With your ether0= line in plan9.ini, the kernel succeeded to:
	1: find qemu virtual nic.
	2: get an ip address from qemu virtual dhcp server.
	3: reach to the fs using the ip address (NAT'ed on qemu)

here is my plan9.ini:
	bootfile=fd0!9pcf.gz
	bootargs=tcp  ether /net/ether0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  0.0.0.0 131.112.14.43 131.112.14.43
	ether0=type=ne2000 port=0xC100 mem=0x04000 size=0x4000 nodummyrr
	vgasize=1024x768x8
	monitor=xga
	mouseport=ps2intellimouse

and here is boot messages

Plan 9
cpu0: 735MHz GenuineIntel PentiumPro (cpuid: AX 0x0613 DX 0xA1BD)
ELCR: 0000
#l0: NE2000: 10Mbps port 0xC100 irq 9 addr 0x4000 size 0x4000: 525400123456
19287 free pages, 77148K bytes, 309148K swap
root is from (tcp, il, local)[tcp ether /net/ether0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 131.112.14.43 131.112.14.43]:
user[none]: nashi
version...
!Adding key: dom=tip9ug.jp proto=p9sk1
user[nashi]:
password:
!
time...

init: starting /bin/rc
<and rio comes up>

P.S.
wishing a Merry Christmas to all 9fans. :)
--
YAMANASHI Takeshi

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  4:25   ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-24  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knapjack, 9fans

On Thu Dec 23 22:52:22 EST 2004, knapjack@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:08:12 -0500, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The following patch fixes QEMU.
>
> Awesome!
>
> How's performance?  Is the virtual ne2k NIC supported?
>
> -Jack

I only played a little with a version on Win2K, I didn't do
any timing tests. Qemu gives a widely varying CPU clock speed
on boot, everything from 100MHz to over 2GHz. The NIC works
(as far as I could test it by pinging the gateway returned
by DHCP and the host IP address) but it needs the nodummyrr
option. This is what I had in plan9.ini:

	ether0=type=ne2000 port=0xC100 mem=0x04000 size=0x4000 nodummyrr

(port, mem and size are only needed for 9load, the kernel driver
detects the NIC automatically).

--jim

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-24  3:52 ` Jack Johnson
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jack Johnson @ 2004-12-24  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:08:12 -0500, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> The following patch fixes QEMU.

Awesome!

How's performance?  Is the virtual ne2k NIC supported?

-Jack

* [9fans] plan 9 on qemu
@ 2004-12-23 23:08 Russ Cox
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-12-23 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I rebuilt the install floppy (it had been a year), so any
new hardware support should be present in it.  In particular,
it contains the vgadb entry for the QEMU vga card.

The CD-ROM is rebuilt every night so it was already up-to-date.

Jim and I looked at the QEMU disk issue today.  The problem
is that QEMU doesn't implement the (required) execute device
diagnostics command.  The following patch fixes QEMU.  I will
send it to the QEMU guys too.

*** hw/old.ide.c	Thu Dec 23 18:02:08 2004
--- hw/ide.c	Thu Dec 23 18:03:00 2004
***************
*** 1477,1482 ****
--- 1477,1489 ----
              }
              ide_set_irq(s);
              break;
+         case WIN_DIAGNOSE:
+             ide_set_signature(s);
+             s->status = READY_STAT;
+             /* 0x01: both devices passed or not present */
+             s->error = 0x01;
+             ide_set_irq(s);
+             break;
          case WIN_SPECIFY: