* [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 16:55 underspecified
From: underspecified @ 2007-11-05 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acme-sac, inferno-list, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Greetings,

I have finished preparing another version of Acme SAC for OS X. It is
available in the usual locations:

http://acme-sac.googlecode.com/files/AcmeSAC-0.24.dmg
http://cl.naist.jp/~eric-n/osx/AcmeSAC-0.24.dmg

The big change this time around was updating to the SVN build and
integrating all of my patches.  I also rewrote the unicode input handling
code which will (hopefully) take care of the problems people were
experiencing with special keys like Alt and Esc.

Version 0.24 -- 2007/11/06
• Updated to SVN revision 119.
• Fixed bug that caused strange character to be printed onscreen when Option
key was pressed.
• Cleaned up unicode input code fixing regressions in handling of special
key events like Esc, PgUp, PgDown, etc.
Enjoy!

--underspecified

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 19:50 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-05 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

YAY

Now I can replace Smultron and learn Acme without going downstairs
and upstairs :-)

@ 2007-11-05 20:52 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-05 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

How do you open a file with it? And here's something I never figured
out (I thought the 9.intro.pdf showed how, but I was mistaken): how
do you use the Look command?

@ 2007-11-05 21:10   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-11-05 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> How do you open a file with it? And here's something I never figured
> out (I thought the 9.intro.pdf showed how, but I was mistaken): how
> do you use the Look command?

http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/acme.html

unlike modern unix man pages, the plan 9 man pages
actually contain useful information.

russ

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 21:17     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-05 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I still don't get the Look part. I tried this (on this email)

	Look Nov

2-clicked on Look. Nothing. Selected "Look Nov" and 2-clicked. Still
nothing. Put Nov before and tried again. Nothing, nothing.

@ 2007-11-05 21:26       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-11-05 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What do you think does the Look command do?

@ 2007-11-05 21:32         ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-05 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The same thing as grep(1)

@ 2007-11-05 21:43       ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2007-11-05 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
> 2-clicked on Look. Nothing. Selected "Look Nov" and 2-clicked. Still
> nothing. Put Nov before and tried again. Nothing, nothing.

I believe this might be a bug. Using `Look' with an argument doesn't
seem to work for me either. However, selecting some text in the body and
executing `Look' alone does work.

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 21:44           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-11-05 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Look needs a context in which to search. the context is an acme
window, so you'll either need to select a text in an acme window and
execute the Look command *in the banner for that window* or you'll
need to type the text behind the Look command in the same window
again. you'll need to have some text in that window in order to search
through it.

clicking selected text (or a word) with the third mouse button will do
exactly the same as look if the text does not appear to be a file
name.

the documentation is good for explaining what everything does, trust
Russ. the initial environment that glenda starts up with is a good
sandbox to play with acme. try typing "acme" and "acme(1)" in the same
window in acme. try right-clicking the text "acme(1)" and see what it
does. now try middle-clicking it and see what it does.

here's what the documentation says:

Look: Search in body for occurrence of literal text indicated by the
argument or, if none is given, by the selected text in the body.

@ 2007-11-05 21:47         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-11-05 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I believe this might be a bug. Using `Look' with an argument doesn't
> seem to work for me either. However, selecting some text in the body and
> executing `Look' alone does work.

look with an argument works, you just need to make sure you've
selected both Look and the argument. a shortcut is to select "Look
argument" with the middle mouse button, but then you lose the
selection for consecutive searches and you'll have to reselect the
text.

executing "Look something" from the banner will also not move the
mouse to the next result, leaving it on top.

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 21:54           ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2007-11-05 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> look with an argument works, you just need to make sure you've
> selected both Look and the argument. a shortcut is to select "Look
> argument" with the middle mouse button, but then you lose the
> selection for consecutive searches and you'll have to reselect the
> text.

I did that the first time, and it didn't work.

> executing "Look something" from the banner will also not move the
> mouse to the next result, leaving it on top.

The mouse doesn't move, but the next match isn't highlighted either. I
tried both the chording (middle click across Look and its argument) as
well as the select-and-execute (left click and select Look + argument,
then middle-click) methods - the matches simply don't highlight for me :(

I'm trying this on AcmeSAC 0.24 on OS X 10.4.

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 21:55           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-11-05 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The same thing as grep(1)
>
> On Nov 5, 2007, at 4:26 PM, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
>
>> What do you think does the Look command do?

no.  grep finds regular expressions.  look finds strings.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 22:00             ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-05 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Oh and did I mention that this also happens to me with normal acme on
Plan 9? :-(

@ 2007-11-05 22:05               ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2007-11-05 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
> Oh and did I mention that this also happens to me with normal acme on
> Plan 9? :-(

Works for me on Plan 9.

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 22:23                 ` Russ Cox
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-11-05 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Here's a bunch of things to try to get started.
If you have problems, say which ones worked for you
and which didn't.

Type date somewhere and middle-click on it.
A new +Errors window should pop up with the
current date.

Middle-click on date again.  The date should
appear a second time in the +Errors window.

Now type "echo hello world" somewhere (without the quotes).
Highlight it using the left button and middle click
on the highlighted text.  "hello world" should appear
in the +Errors window.

Left-click on the echo hello world so that the highlight
goes away.  Then highlight "echo hello world" using
the middle button.  A second "hello world" should
appear in the +Errors window.

In the +Errors window, right click on one of the "hello"s.
The mouse pointer should jump to the other hello,
which should be highlighted.

Leave one of the "hello" highlighted in the body
and middle click the world "Look" in the tag (the blue line).
Each time you middle click "Look" the highlight should
jump to the other hello, just like it was when right clicking
directly on hello.  But the pointer will not move.

In the tag of the +Errors window (the blue line above it),
the word Look is at the end of the tag.  Put the cursor
after the Look and type "hello", so that the tag end reads
"Look hello".  Highlight "Look hello" using the left
button and then middle-click the highlighted "Look hello".
Each time you middle-click the highlighted "Look hello",
the highlight in the body of the window should move to
the other "hello".

Left-click in the tag so that the highlight on "Look hello"
goes away.  Now use the middle button to highlight "Look hello".
The other "hello" in the body should be highlighted and the
mouse pointer should jump to the now-highlighted text.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 22:33                   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-05 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For some reason, then, Look is ignoring its argument on both OS X and
Plan 9. Acme SAC works right on OS X using your directions.

@ 2007-11-05 22:36                   ` cummij
From: cummij @ 2007-11-05 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi-

as another data point (like there isn't enough confiusion in this thread
already...), p9p debian unstable passes all russ' tests except the last:

> Left-click in the tag so that the highlight on "Look hello"
> goes away.  Now use the middle button to highlight "Look hello".
> The other "hello" in the body should be highlighted and the
> mouse pointer should jump to the now-highlighted text.

the other "hello" is highlighted (highlit?), but the pointer does not move
from the tag.

john

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 22:50                     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-11-05 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I pass russ's test with flying colors on OSX (native acme from p9p),
and Plan 9. i can't get the extra mouse buttons to work on the X11
acme :)

now, if you want something a bit more difficult, try opening a file
named "test(1).txt" from within acme :) it's not exactly trivial.

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 23:30                       ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2007-11-05 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I pass russ's test with flying colors on OSX (native acme from p9p),
> and Plan 9. i can't get the extra mouse buttons to work on the X11
> acme :)
>
> now, if you want something a bit more difficult, try opening a file
> named "test(1).txt" from within acme :) it's not exactly trivial.

I see. especially in acme-sac (tried with 0.22);
isn't there B in acme-sac?

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 23:45                         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-11-05 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> now, if you want something a bit more difficult, try opening a file
> named "test(1).txt" from within acme :) it's not exactly trivial.

it's not exactly difficult: New test(1).txt

russ

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-05 23:48                     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-11-05 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> as another data point (like there isn't enough confiusion in this thread
> already...), p9p debian unstable passes all russ' tests except the last:
>
>> Left-click in the tag so that the highlight on "Look hello"
>> goes away.  Now use the middle button to highlight "Look hello".
>> The other "hello" in the body should be highlighted and the
>> mouse pointer should jump to the now-highlighted text.
>
> the other "hello" is highlighted (highlit?), but the pointer does not move
> from the tag.

sorry, i was wrong about the expected behavior here.
7/8 from memory isn't bad.  ;-)

the behavior i described (moving the pointer iff not highlighted)
corresponds to button 3 searches from the tag.
Look never moves the pointer.

russ

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-06  1:05                       ` Caerwyn Jones
From: Caerwyn Jones @ 2007-11-06  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

there is a bug in inferno acme where exec of 'Look hello' ignores the
arg 'hello'. i changed the acme-sac code to match p9p. i guess all
this time i've always used 3-1 mouse chord to Look.

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-06  4:13                         ` Arvindh Rajesh Tamilmani
From: Arvindh Rajesh Tamilmani @ 2007-11-06  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > now, if you want something a bit more difficult, try opening a file
> > named "test(1).txt" from within acme :) it's not exactly trivial.
>
> I see. especially in acme-sac (tried with 0.22);
> isn't there B in acme-sac?

I too miss B in acme-sac.

% cat $home/dis/B
#!/dis/sh

for file in $* {
	plumb -s B -d edit $file
}
%

Arvindh

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-06  9:24                   ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2007-11-06  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Russ,

> In the tag of the +Errors window (the blue line above it),
> the word Look is at the end of the tag.  Put the cursor
> after the Look and type "hello", so that the tag end reads
> "Look hello".  Highlight "Look hello" using the left
> button and then middle-click the highlighted "Look hello".
> Each time you middle-click the highlighted "Look hello",
> the highlight in the body of the window should move to
> the other "hello".

This doesn't work for me on AcmeSAC 0.24 (OS X 10.4.9). `Look' does not
seem to care about whether it is executed with an argument or not. If I
have some selected text in the body, and I execute Look, the highlight
jumps. However, if no text is selected in the body, executing `Look'
with an argument (either by chording or select-middle) doesn't produce
any results.

Cheers,
--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-06  9:33                         ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2007-11-06  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/6/07, Caerwyn Jones <caerwynj@gmail.com> wrote:
> there is a bug in inferno acme where exec of 'Look hello' ignores the
> arg 'hello'.

i believe this is an original bug "feature" of the original (alef) version
of acme, from which the inferno acme was translated. unfortunately
i've lost access to any dumps before 2002, so i can't verify when it was
fixed.

to be honest, i think it's quite rare to use an argument with Look -
i only use Look when there's some literal text in the body
that i want to search for, but also names a file or directory.
if there's no literal text in the body, it's usually easier to type :/pattern
in the tag.

* Re: [9fans] Acme SAC for OS X Version 0.24
@ 2007-11-06  9:44                     ` underspecified
From: underspecified @ 2007-11-06  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs