* Re: [9fans] Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 15:57 Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2007-12-20 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> just escaped AOL. If you actually do some coding, r
> emember that it's "if (!foo)", not "if.......(!!!!!!!!foo)".

Yeah, but if you've got an odd number of bangs
(add one to what you've put), it'll give the
same result.:-)  Great for the obfuscated C
contest.

(Ducks for cover...)

BLS

* Re: [9fans] Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 16:39 ` john
From: john @ 2007-12-20 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> just escaped AOL. If you actually do some coding, r
>> emember that it's "if (!foo)", not "if.......(!!!!!!!!foo)".
>
> Yeah, but if you've got an odd number of bangs
> (add one to what you've put), it'll give the
> same result.:-)  Great for the obfuscated C
> contest.
>
> (Ducks for cover...)
>
> BLS

Yeah, I was thinking of that as I wrote it, which is why
I threw in all the periods so some smart-alec like you
wouldn't call me on it ☺ Mmmm, obfuscation.

John

* Re: [9fans] Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 17:05 Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2007-12-20 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

From: john@csplan9.rit.edu

> >> just escaped AOL. If you actually do some coding, r
> >> emember that it's "if (!foo)", not "if.......(!!!!!!!!foo)".
> >
> > Yeah, but if you've got an odd number of bangs
> > (add one to what you've put), it'll give the
> > same result.:-)  Great for the obfuscated C
> > contest.
>
> Yeah, I was thinking of that as I wrote it, which is why
> I threw in all the periods so some smart-alec like you
> wouldn't call me on it ☺ Mmmm, obfuscation.

After I sent the message I did notice the periods.
I was just so amused by the 21 (well 8) gun salute
that the smart-alec in me took over and I didn't
pay attention to them.  Anyway, your point was
well-made.

BLS

* [9fans] Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 16:52   ` codewarrior85
From: codewarrior85 @ 2007-12-20 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanx a lot to Juan M. Mendez,roger peppe,sqweek,Brian L. Stuart for
the quickest reply...........Also thanx for the suggestions....Lookin
forward for a great learning experience....

* Re: [9fans] Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 15:53   ` john
From: john @ 2007-12-20 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Dec 20, 6:28 am, vej...@gmail.com (Juan M. Mendez) wrote:
>> On 20/12/2007, codewarrior85 <pcrkis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >  Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
>> > would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
>> > Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????
>>
>> There are compilers for C for several architectures. If you are
>> interested in programming
>> for Plan9, take a look at:
>>
>> http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
>>
>> Also notes to plan9 kernel source:http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.pdf
>>
>> Pay a visit to the wiki to see installation instruction and supported hardware.http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/
>>
>> Good luck !!!!
>> --
>> Fidonet: 2:345/432.2
>
> Thanx a lot for the info.........
>
> But also i would be really happy if anyone could answer my other
> questions....Because i dont want to make a mess of the installation in
> a dual mode....So if any one ever tried Plan 9 in a dual mode....Plz
> provide me some info on it....whether  can i use it along with any BSD
> version or Minix 3.......i.e ....I would love to have Plan 9 with
> Minix 3 .....or Plan 9 with BSD.... Any valuable suggestion
> plz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite common practice, "........." is not actually valid
punctuation, although "..." is. Nor does !!!!!!!! indicate
competent excitement; instead, it suggests someone who
just escaped AOL. If you actually do some coding, r
emember that it's "if (!foo)", not "if.......(!!!!!!!!foo)".

Okay, grammar nazi mode off. Plan 9 works fine in
multiboot. Just make sure you *don't* install the Plan
9 bootloader and MBR; you can then boot into your other
operating system and set up its bootloader to include
Plan 9. It works well with GRUB and LILO, and while
I've never done it, it would seem that the *BSD loaders
can handle it too.

Have fun

John

* Re: [9fans] Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 14:57 James.Deagle
From: James.Deagle @ 2007-12-20 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You may have missed my initial repy to you your message. So, just in case,
here it is again:

As of three days ago, my rickety old Dell Latitude is running NetBSD and
Plan9 in dual mode. (Although at heart I'm a FreeBSD guy, I find that the
NetBSD installer also doubles as a nifty partition manager.)

But also i would be really happy if anyone could answer my other
questions....Because i dont want to make a mess of the installation in
a dual mode....So if any one ever tried Plan 9 in a dual mode....Plz
provide me some info on it....whether  can i use it along with any BSD
version or Minix 3.......i.e ....I would love to have Plan 9 with
Minix 3 .....or Plan 9 with BSD.... Any valuable suggestion

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments without copying, disclosing or retaining it in any form.

Ce courriel est confidentiel.  Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire designe, veuillez en informer l'expediteur et supprimer ce courriel ainsi que tous fichiers joints sans les copier, divulguer ou conserver d'aucune facon.

* [9fans] Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 14:00 ` codewarrior85
From: codewarrior85 @ 2007-12-20 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans