* Re: [9fans] nat
@ 2008-11-16 16:49 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

> Running NAT at user level would, assuming I'm not totally off base, be
> quite expensive and the hardware on which it runs would have to be
> pretty powerful.

most people have plenty of power to spare on their cpu
servers and feeding a dsl modem at < 10mbit/sec is really
trivial these days.  were you thinking of natting >1gbit?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers?
@ 2008-11-16 15:09 sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-11-16 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Eris Discordia
<eris.discordia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> aux/listen1 -tv tcp!*!22 /bin/aux/trampoline tcp!$linux!22
>
> And in this case you
> don't have an imported /net and the fabled transparency.

 Obviously, a linux server is going to have a hard time importing /net
(in a useful way, at least until Glendix gets there).
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] NAT
@ 2003-09-30 19:47 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2003-09-30 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> whats wrong with it? I think those boxes works well (and act as plug-and-
> play firewalls).

Plug-and-play is good, no question.  But you're placing your trust in a
vendor who has undoubtedly disclaimed all responsibility for providing
you with any real security.  You don't know what's going on under the
hood, and have no guarantee that the vendor is actually fixing security
problems, or that they will continue to do so.  There have been enough
network-accessible back-doors to make me nervous.

At least if I have the code I have control.  I also have the
responsibility, but it's better than having responsibility without
control.

> > I realize that IPv6-IPv4 is a different kind of translation, but it
> > would be nice to have something to start with.
> this is for use in the IPv6/IPv4 network. if your ISP gives you IPv4
> network connectivity, you wouldnt need it. am i right? or am i missing
> something?

The point is that they did stateful NAT, which is what I'm
considering.  If there is code available, I could potentially modify
it to do internal/external translation.

* Re: [9fans] NAT
@ 2003-09-30 19:14 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2003-09-30 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We (ehg, ynl) implemented a stateful IPv6-IPv4 nat (address/port/protocol translator) in Plan9.
> Works fine.

Any source available?

I just learned today that my ISP charges $10 per month per extra IP
address (how's *that* for a profit margin), so it has become something
more than a casual interest for me.  I'm not particularly trusting of
those little NAT firewall boxes that everyone seems so enamored with
these days.

I realize that IPv6-IPv4 is a different kind of translation, but it
would be nice to have something to start with.

* [9fans] NAT
@ 2003-09-30 18:05 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2003-09-30 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I realize that there are a number of reasons why network address
translation is a bad idea, but I'm curious: has anyone ever implemented
it using a plan 9 system, and, if so, what have your experiences been?