* Re: [9fans] inferno acme
@ 2002-08-14 17:49 C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2002-08-14 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I have no information to back this up, or any knowledge of the work
>>relationship between the companies, but it seems to me that if Vita
>>Nuova had early access to 4th ed it would have been less hassle all
>>around.

having been on both sides of early access schemes in the past,
i'd not myself conclude that it would be less hassle `all' round.
i'm certainly not complaining.

in fact, several of us did get to see it a week or so earlier, to try
the installation, so there was a bit of a head start.
it nevertheless took a little time to reorganise all our plan 9 environments
just to be in position to do the work, especially given that the 4e
manuals had to be prepared and printed, a CD produced, etc.

* Re: [9fans] inferno acme
@ 2002-08-20 15:44 ` Dharani Vilwanathan
From: Dharani Vilwanathan @ 2002-08-20 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

charles wrote:
> no he's just unlucky in various ways and we're quite busy
> (especially when one or more of us are on summer holiday).
>
> one piece of bad luck is that he sent me a message earlier
> today that prompted me to take another look at some problems

charles has been kind enough to figure out the issues and guided me
properly. with the current update files, i am able to build inferno on plan
9, 4e successfully. many thanks to charles.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] inferno acme
@ 2002-08-14 17:29 C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2002-08-14 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

no he's just unlucky in various ways and we're quite busy
(especially when one or more of us are on summer holiday).

one piece of bad luck is that he sent me a message earlier
today that prompted me to take another look at some problems
he'd had, several of which i couldn't reproduce, and indeed i
was well into looking at it when his complaint arrived on this list...

anyhow, i couldn't reproduce several of the more peculiar
problems (`/bin/limbo' phase error -- directory entry not allocated' looked like
remove whilst in use which nearly puts this note on topic)
but i have mended those that i did reproduce, found a few more,
and put new update packs for the 15 july 2002 update set
on our site.

to bring it a little more on topic, those packs allow a Plan 9 4th edition
user to update a Plan 9 (only) 3e inferno installation to work under
4th edition.  the old emu binary nearly worked as is, but 3e directory
reading isn't emulated as russ has just noted.

to answer another question: the Plan 9 4e CD we issue has got an Inferno
distribution that will also work under 4e.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1873 bytes --]

From: Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] inferno acme
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:58:32 -0400 (EDT)

> the activity in inferno mailing list is too low and most questions go
> unanswered, so i thought atleast someone will respond here.

Now that's just snide and incorrect.  I've never had problems getting
my questions answered.

Of course, it could be your tone ...

Cheers,

Sam

* Re: [9fans] inferno acme
@ 2002-08-14 16:19 ` Dharani Vilwanathan
From: Dharani Vilwanathan @ 2002-08-14 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you mean 3rd edition Inferno, then it won't work on 4th edition Plan 9
> because, amongst several things, the directory read format changed.

i mean, the plan 9 CD usually has inferno binary version included. since
vita nuova has recently released the 4th edition cd, i just wanted to know
if acme runs under inferno built on plan 9, 4th edition.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] inferno acme
@ 2002-08-14 16:09   ` Dharani Vilwanathan
From: Dharani Vilwanathan @ 2002-08-14 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

> > the activity in inferno mailing list is too low and most questions go
> > unanswered, so i thought atleast someone will respond here.
> >
> Now that's just snide and incorrect.  I've never had problems getting
> my questions answered.
>
> Of course, it could be your tone ...

may be you left the mailing list quite sometime back.

please check the mailing list for the past two months. many questions on
release, features, updates went unanswered. we are yet to get a working
source code version of inferno on plan 9, 4th edition.

please understand that it is out of interest in using inferno (which is what
is preached). not to bother the people unnecessarily.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] inferno acme
@ 2002-08-14 15:56 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-08-14 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you mean 3rd edition Inferno, then it won't work on 4th edition Plan 9
because, amongst several things, the directory read format changed.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2602 bytes --]

From: "Dharani Vilwanathan" <dharani@lucent.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] inferno acme
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:52:30 -0400

hi,

for some reason, i am not getting a working version of inferno on plan 9,
4th edition. in particular, acme doesn't compile well. does anyone know
whether the plan 9 CD released by vita nuova has a working version of acme
(limbo version)?

and is anyone using inferno (source code version) under plan 9, 4 ed? and
does the build succeed?

the activity in inferno mailing list is too low and most questions go
unanswered, so i thought atleast someone will respond here.

thanks in advance.

-dharani

* [9fans] inferno acme
@ 2002-08-14 15:52 Dharani Vilwanathan