* [9fans] Acme Mail
@ 2010-05-25  7:11 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-25  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is there a way to mark *all* messages in a mail box for later
processing - e.g.  Delmesg.  in nedmail one can do g/pattern/d
unfortunately

Edit ,x/pattern/ --+

marks only one.

* [9fans] Acme Mail
@ 2005-12-07 10:35 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2005-12-07 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>From the "silly requests department": would it be unreasonable to switch "Save" to "Undo" in the tag line of a message being inspected when one, as I often do, starts typing in it instead of first selecting to reply to or quote it?

    /mail/fs/mbox/930/ Del Snarf | Look Q Reply all Delmesg Save  Post
                                                            ^^^^/Undo

++L

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-08 23:59 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-08-08 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>the nice thing about upas/fs and marshal is that
>they handles all the ugly conversion so that
>nedmail and acme Mail are much easier to

Yes, I agree with this completely.  I made just a several line
changes for reading ISO-2022-JP encoded mail.

I forgot to write something when I replied to Charles's mail,
and please forgive me to add things here.

I've never received UTF-8 encoded mails from Japanese
except of myself.  This is probably from culture thing.
 From the early stage of computer developping in the world,
Japanese uses JIS (=ISO-2002-JP) or Shift JIS encoded Japanese
text, and we have too many documents writeen in JIS code.
Someone can call this Japanese culture, I think.  I agree that
Unicode is more beatiful for internal expression of OS, however,
I feel that no one can force to change this Japanese culture
in computer science.

I hope thi may help someone other than Japanese.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-08 23:49 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-08-08 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is there a way for it to tell the difference
>between ISO-2022-JP and utf-8?

I think no.
Therefore, I used the method to put Content-Type explicitely
in the header lines, and then, if there is such ISO-2022-JP
line, it should be recongnized as such.

As ISO-2022-JP is really considered to be used only
within Japan, I managed to change Acme mail as such.  This may
also be done by putting user's header for upas alone.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-08 14:47 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-08 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

binary (8-bit) mail seems to be less of a problem
than actually parsing and handling utf-8.
/bin/mail (mailx?) on most unix systems
still can't handle even mime, i gather.  pine complains
every time it gets a utf-8 message (warning!
i don't know that character set.  how about i
pretend it's us-ascii?)  i know that other unix programs
had the same problems.  until presotto added
the us-ascii hack to marshal, i got a fair number of
complaints from people about my sending them
``uppity'' mail.

the nice thing about upas/fs and marshal is that
they handles all the ugly conversion so that
nedmail and acme Mail are much easier to
write.  everyone who implements mime does
what they need to get by (even us).  unix authors
each have to roll their own mime parser and character
set converter, so the set of ``what they need to get
by'' differs from mailer to mailer and is a bit
frustrating.

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-08 11:24 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-08-08 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I guess I don't completely understand.  Marshal tries to
sniff out the content and figure out the character set that's
being used.  Is there a way for it to tell the difference
between ISO-2022-JP and utf-8?  If so, I'm happy saying that
the charset is ISO-2022-JP when it is.  The user just has
to feed the input through a converter before marshal sees
it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2447 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] ACME mail
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:48:37 0900

Thanks Bob.

>we keep ed around for use on our unix systems.  ned uses
>the upas/fs to serve a mailbox and marshall to compose a

I looked the source of marshall, and found that it supposes only
UTF-8 or US-ASCII for sending out charset.  In Japan, many
living in the other world than us use ISO-2022-JP charset
for exchanging email.

So, the interest is:

(1)We should send out ISO-2022-JP charset email, if we want to
keep good relation with them.  Of course, we can send Mime
formatted UTF-8, but in that case, we may lose something.
(This is mailing-list is aliased to "UTF-8 mailing-list", so we
can use UTF-8 ?).

(2) I want to have UTF-8 charset files in our disk if it is plain/text,
for the sake that we can read it anytime.  Then, I suppose it may
be better to convert ISO-2022-JP formatted mail to UTF-8 when
we received it.  In this case, then, we'll have a UTF-8 charset
file of, say,

<UTF-8 charset headers>

When I see the sources under /sys/src/cmd/upas, there
seems to be a different principle.  There, we'll have IS-2022-JP
charset file same to its orignal form. How do you think (all)?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-08 10:18 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-08-08 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>presumably that means commercial unix systems?

No, I'm using exmh on Linux, and it's not supoort UTF-8.
Many Windows users in Japan do not use Outlook (I don't know
why (I'm a Outlook user in home), and they cannot use UTF-8
recognizable mailer, either.  Something anti-Unicode phenomenon
is here. ☺

kenji

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-08  8:54 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-08-08  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>UTF-8 MIME, I suppose( for many UNIX users).  Of course, this may

presumably that means commercial unix systems?
i'd have thought that linux, xBSD & company all would support
utf-8.  also, do you mean the 8 bit encoding or just any form
of UTF at all?  i can see avoiding 8-bit transfer encodings because
there are gateways that strip the top bit (and 7-bit transfer might
still be in the RFCs).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1656 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 13:54:04 0900

>i don't see the point in that:  aren't they invariably using software
>that understands MIME?

MIME can be understood, however, many mailers do not understand
UTF-8 MIME, I suppose( for many UNIX users).  Of course, this may
change in time.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-08  4:54 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-08-08  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-08-08  4:45 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-08-08  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>(1)We should send out ISO-2022-JP charset email, if we want to
>>keep good relation with them.

i don't see the point in that:  aren't they invariably using software
that understands MIME?  on the other hand, it is irritating
to receive a message sent with a default non-utf charset
and having Outlook insist on downloading a huge
update and fonts and other things just to discover that it was
english text after all!  (i have more experience with big5 that
way than 2022-jp, but i've seen the latter too.)
isn't this `default charset' requirement effectively obsolete?
apart from old Plan 9, i'd have thought that nearly everyone
was using MIME-enabled mailers.  are they using mainframes?
the `default charset' mail ends up being
tagged with MIME headers anyhow, as far as i can tell
(which triggers Outlook to download the fonts).
is it really worthwhile tagging 2022-jp instead
of utf-n for outgoing mail from Plan 9?
there must be something obvious i'm missing.

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-08  3:48 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-08-08  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-08-07 12:21 bobf
From: bobf @ 2000-08-07 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There are two kinds of directory in /sys/src/cmd/upas, ned
> and ed.   I guess ned means new ed, if so :-), ed is not used for
> other than pop3 protocol?
>
> Am I neccessary to look sources only under ned?

we keep ed around for use on our unix systems.  ned uses
the upas/fs to serve a mailbox and marshall to compose a
message.  we could probably port the latter to unix, but
the former is problematic.

you can change either ed or ned depending on which
you use to read your mail.  acme uses upas/fs but i
don't think it uses ned or ed.  see the comments in
/acme/mail/readme.

* Re: [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-07  3:33 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-08-07  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>9fans is by far the most suitable candidate to test the
>implementation :-).

Hahaha!

By the way, I have to add ISO-2022-JP charset to upas.
There are two kinds of directory in /sys/src/cmd/upas, ned
and ed.   I guess ned means new ed, if so :-), ed is not used for
other than pop3 protocol?

Am I neccessary to look sources only under ned?

Kenji

* [9fans] ACME mail
@ 2000-08-02 15:49 lucio
From: lucio @ 2000-08-02 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)