* Re: [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
@ 2003-02-01 17:40 Keith Nash
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-02-01 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

1.
Are redirfs, badsrv, intended to do the same thing as "Plan B"?

2.
> > Did anyone (anywhere) ever implement the Resource Location Protocol?
> >
> >    ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc887.txt
>
> I'm not certain, but it's functionally similar to a half-dozen other
> protocols, such as Service Location Protocol (
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2165.html ) which I think only Sun and Apple
> ever put into use, and then Apple abandoned for multicast DNS (
> http://www.multicastdns.org/ ) and DNS Service Discovery (
> http://www.dns-sd.org/ ).

Apple's latest use of this technology is Rendezvous, which is part of OSX, and is open-source:

Open source project page and download: http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/rendezvous/

OSX glossy page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/rendezvous.html

press release: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/sep/25rendezvous.html

3.

>       We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
>       are going to spend the rest of our lives.
>
>                               Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

The film that our favourite OS is named after is SO, SO, BAD, that if you start to watch it, the only ways to avoid being bored to death are: (a) to switch it off immediately; (b) to gnaw off your own left leg.  Anyone who remembers dialogue, or the names of characters, must obviously have chosen the latter route.

* Re: [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
@ 2003-02-02  6:32 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-02-02  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Amazingly enough, programming in the Microsoft world for the last month
> or so gives me an odd feeling of deja vu.

Could you expand on this? Is there perhaps a movie called "Abort, retry,
fail, from Redmond" that I should see?

* Re: [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
@ 2003-02-02  6:23 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-02-02  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>  it richly deserves the title of the "Worst Film Ever Made"

>You have to see every movie ever made before you can bestow that title

No you don't. You just have to watch "The Garden of the Finzi-Continis"
once.

* Re: [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
@ 2003-02-01 18:11 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-02-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It is one of the most entertaining I've ever seen.

OK, I give in: I'll attempt to watch it again next time it's on TV.  How many layers of ironic detachment do I need to insert, in order to be entertained?

* Re: [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
@ 2003-02-01 17:52 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-02-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You must have watched a different film than I did.
> I certainly wasn't bored to death, and I've watched it three or four times now.

Hmm.  I switched the film off after 5 minutes, having concluded that it richly deserves the title of the "Worst Film Ever Made".  Perhaps it gets better later on...

BTW, how many limbs have you got left?

* Re: [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
@ 2003-01-27  8:42 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-01-27  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>The aim of badsrv/redirfs is to
> do that in a more automated way.

Yeah, I got it.
I love such automatic way, because we have to give our
students (not computer science, but geology :-) lots of infos
other than computer etc.  We have only limited time as we
know though.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
@ 2003-01-27  1:31 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-01-27  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can we see it as a simple mechanism for inport/export command?
I have some problem when we must use more than, say, four CDROMs
for students, however, we have only one for it.   Then, I put the CDROM
on a mechine, and all the other students share the one CDROM by a
simple command of redirfs and badsrv?

If so, I think it's very very useful for us.

Kenji

* [9fans] got a new feature: learning of resources and switching among them
@ 2003-01-24 19:04 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-01-24 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

	I'm happy enough with the behaviour of this thing and would
love to know what you think of it and any suggestion you may have.  I'll
put the code in sources soon (once that it has been exercised for
some more time).

It's a couple of programs, badsrv and redirfs.  The first one runs a
kind of discovery protocol using constraints/properties to determine
which resources are of interest for you and which ones are not.  The
second one is a file server that permits the user to switch at run
time between different file trees.  It can be instructed by means of the
first program to learn for alternate file trees for a resource.

I have been using this to redirect audio output from one machine to
another without even stopping the player, and also to switch to an
alternate home directory if the current one is no longer available
(without restarting acme).

I'm sorry about the size of the mail, but here are the manual pages
for the programs.

Anyone would want to use such thing?
Other comments?

thanks a lot

     NAME
          redirfs - File server to redirect fids from one tree to
          another

     SYNOPSIS
          redirfs [ -abcdiCD ] [ -s srv ] [ -m mnt ] dir

     DESCRIPTION
          Redirfs is a  server that mounts itself between an existing
          directory and the user.  It learns of alternate trees for
          that directory and permits the user to change the one used.
          It can be used to dinamically redirect audio, failover from
          one file server to another, choose a cdrom depending on the
          ones available, and similar tasks.

          Redirfs works in combination with badsrv(8) because that
          program can learn by itself which resources are available
          and instruct redirfs about alternate trees.  The user relies
          on the commands file serviced by redirfs to select the pre-
          ferred tree. It is suggested to use different redirfs
          instances for different resources because the current imple-
          mentation is not multithreaded and admits only a request at
          a time.

     EXAMPLE
          This exports the local audio device and discovers new audio
          devices of interest (as dictated by the configuration file
          of badsrv):

               redirfs  -s audio '#A'
               badsrv &

          Once started, this permits the selection of a different
          audio device serviced by atlantis:

               con -C /srv/audio.cmd
               % Set audio!atlantis
               %

     SEE ALSO
          badsrv(8)

     SOURCE
          /sys/src/cmd/redirfs.c

     BUGS
          This is still experimental. This page does not show the
          options available nor the commands available in the console.

     NAME
          badsrv - Broadcast based advertising service for resources

     SYNOPSIS
          badsrv [ -v ] [ -c cfg ] [ -s srv ]

     DESCRIPTION
          Badsrv is a  server that runs a broadcast based resource
          discovery protocol to inform redirfs(4) as resources come
          and go in the network.

          The protocol is very naive, but enough for a network of mod-
          erated size: It send a broadcast to announce local resources
          every few seconds. All servers receiving a broadcast reply
          to the sender to announce their own ones. If a resource
          announce is not seen in three rounds, it is garbage col-
          lected and declared as gone.

          For each resource that is either new or collected, an appro-
          priate message is sent to the control file of the redirfs in
          charge for the resource. The convention is that the same
          resource uses the same name both in redirfs and in badsrv.

          Option -v shows debug information.

          Option -c instructs badsrv to use cfg as its configuration
          file. By default the configuration is at file
          badconf.sysname.

          Option -s posts a file at srv(3) where more configuration
          commands can be sent at run time.

          The configuration file includes commands, one per line, that
          determine a resource to be announced or a resource wanted.
          Announces for unwanted resources are ignored. Each command
          has arguments using tab as a delimiter. For example,

               ad   atlantis  cdrom     L126 #S/sdC1

          announces a resource cdrom serviced by atlantis whose loca-
          tion is room 126. The file at atlantis for the cdrom is
          #S/sdC1.

               want -    audio     L126

          tells the server to pay attention to any announce for the
          resource audio if its location is at room 126.

          The constraint (eg. L126) can be more complex like in
          Tcd!Dgsyc!L126. It is made of members separated by "!",
          where the first character refers to a property (type,
          domain, location, etc.) and the following ones identify the
          value for the property. The user can define any desired
          property/value pairs. If the properties wanted do not match
          the ones offered, the announce is ignored.

     SEE ALSO
          redirfs(4)

     SOURCE
          /sys/src/cmd/badsrv

     BUGS
          This is still experimental. User interface is missing.

[parent not found: <nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es>]