* [9fans] gmail's new POP features + upas/fs
@ 2004-11-22  6:07 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2004-11-22  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've not had any luck making a connection based on the wiki
information for setting up upas/fs for mail with poptls or apoptls.

upas/fs -f/poptls/pop.gmail.com just hangs it seems.

I've gotten it to work with other servers, I wonder what the difference is.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] gmail's new POP features + upas/fs
@ 2004-11-23  3:14 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-23  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

> perhaps you've told gmail to delete
> messages once pop downloads them.
> (it's a gmail settings option in the pop section.)
> the next time upas/fs logs in and looks
> at your mail, they're not there, so it assumes
> they've been deleted and forgets about them.
>
> russ

i had them on archive first, then changed to 'leave in inbox'.  gmail
indicates that they're sending a 'copy to pop3', so don't think that's
to blame.

here's what i do:

	- kill all 'fs' in the current session, even better -- start a
	new one with drawterm and without starting upas/fs.

	- upas/fs -s -f/..../

	- mount /srv/upasfs.andrey and start acme Mail on that dir

	- send a message to myself on my gmail account

	- when the message appears in acme either do a new mount of
	/srv/upasfs...  or wait about a minute and the message will be
	marked as 'deleted' in the old Mail.  it never appears in the
	new one.

exiting the original acme mail and restarting it doesn't show the
message either, even though Mail wouldn't really delete the message
unless its window has been 'Put'.

i can verify that this problem doesn't exist with imaps and imap on
other accounts i have.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] gmail's new POP features + upas/fs
@ 2004-11-24 10:10 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2004-11-24 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

russcox@gmail.com says:

> Well, yes and no.  It does use the UIDs but also depends
> on ordering.  ...
>
> I don't think this is Gmail's problem.  If that were happening,
> the messages would just look reordered.

Having tried it myself now, I see what Russ means.  I did find with
demon.co.uk that the server's reordering of messages confused upas/fs
sufficiently that some would seem to disappear.  But gmail's trouble
is more fundamental - after you've fetched the messages once, it
replies +OK 0 0 to subsequent STAT commands.  Because upas/fs
keeps reattaching to the server to refresh its list, it sees an
apparently empty list and therefore deletes its own copy of messages
to keep in sync.

I wonder if this causes trouble with any other pop clients?

I suppose we could add a "gmail compatibility" flag to upas/fs/pop3
to stop it from deleting its copies of messages except by
explicit local request.  This would allow it to be used for
fetching stuff (once) from gmail to be copied to a local mailbox.

-- Richard