* [9fans] read: i/o error: at installation
@ 2006-10-21 18:11 Yosyp Bin Laden
From: Yosyp Bin Laden @ 2006-10-21 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm trying to install Plan9 on a computer (256MB ram, Intel Celeron 2.00Ghz,
160GB hard disk). At the installation proccess, I go up to part disk. Then
it shows me that it made the new Plan9 partition (2.45GB), so I type 'w' and
'q'. Then I get this:

 Preparing menu... read: i/o error

and it prompts me again to partdisk, and it never ends. I really don't think
that this is the hard disks problem, it's a barely used 160GB Maxtor drive.
Has anyone had any problems similar to this? Could it be because some of the
hardware? (Unlikely, but...)

Regards,
Yosyp

* Re: [9fans] read: i/o error: at installation
@ 2006-10-21 18:49 ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-10-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> and it prompts me again to partdisk, and it never ends. I really don't think
> that this is the hard disks problem, it's a barely used 160GB Maxtor drive.
> Has anyone had any problems similar to this? Could it be because some of the
> hardware? (Unlikely, but...)

Sure about the disk? Disks may be broken when they arrive (broke on transport), etc.
'Not used much' may mean 'maybe I could not yet discover the issues'

So what is the controller involved? What chipset, etc?

* Re: [9fans] read: i/o error: at installation
@ 2006-10-21 20:12   ` Yosyp Bin Laden
From: Yosyp Bin Laden @ 2006-10-21 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've been using this disk for data storage for approximately the last year
or so, but it's possible. The Linux partition on the disk has data on it,
and I'm able to read/write on it. (Last time I checked). Found some
information:

Intel Corporation 82845G/GL/GV/GE/PE DRAM Controller / Host - Hub I/F Bridge
Display is VGA 82845G/GL/GV/GE/PE Integrated Graphics Device

Then there're the 4 or 5 USB controllers, Hub interface to PCI Bridge, LPC
Interface Bridge etc. I will try installation with another disk in a couple
of hours.

@ 2006-10-22 15:42 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-10-22 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

try booting linux to see if you can write to the hd.  the output of lspci -vn
would be helpful if you find the disk to be good.

if this is an ich5 or ich6 motherboard with sata+pata (that would be all of 'em),
you're going to have trouble with sata drives.  the port configuration is nonstandard
and the ide driver doesn't know about it.

if you do have such a system and you do have an ide-only system, there's probablly
a ide-only bios option that may let you boot.

- erik

@ 2006-10-22 15:45     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-10-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this isn't quite the right info.  try lspci -vn from linux.

- erik

@ 2006-10-22 17:15       ` Yosyp Bin Laden
From: Yosyp Bin Laden @ 2006-10-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'll try that, but I tried something different earlier. I put in an 80GB
disk, it has one ext3 partition on it (80GB). I resized the filesystem
(resize2fs), and I booted from a liveCD and trying parted, but it doesn't
want to go.

#parted
(parted) resize 1 0 60G
No Implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout! Parted
can't resize this (yet).

Then I  remove journaling to make it truly ext2;
tune2fs -O^has_journal /dev/hda1

#parted
(parted) resize 1 0 60G
No Implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout! Parted
can't resize this (yet).

Just if you're wondering, I resized the filesystem to:
/dev/hda1   Used:38436MB  Available:1699MB  Use:96%

>From the resize2fs() manpage:
If you wish to shrink an ext2 partition, first use *resize2fs* to shrink the
size of filesystem. Then you may use
*fdisk<http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/fdisk.8.html>
*(8) to shrink the size of the partition. When shrinking the size of the
partition, make sure you do not make it smaller than the new size of the
ext2 filesystem!

I've looked into fdisk(8), but found no way of shrinking a partition. I
might be able to delete it and start it at the same cylinder, but that
sounds risky.

* Re: [9fans] read: i/o error: at installation
@ 2006-10-22 18:03         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-10-22 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>  >From the resize2fs() manpage:
>  If you wish to shrink an ext2 partition, first use resize2fs to shrink the
> size of filesystem. Then you may use fdisk(8) to shrink the size of the
> partition. When shrinking the size of the partition, make sure you do not
> make it smaller than the new size of the ext2 filesystem!
>
>  I've looked into fdisk(8), but found no way of shrinking a partition. I
> might be able to delete it and start it at the same cylinder, but that
> sounds risky.

That's exactly what the resize2fs man page is saying you should do.

I would stay far away from GNU parted.  I've had nothing but bad
experiences with it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] read: i/o error: at installation
@ 2006-10-23  0:04           ` Yosyp Bin Laden
From: Yosyp Bin Laden @ 2006-10-23  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I shrunk the partition on this "new" disk (80GB), and left 27GB to
Plan9. Trying to install, go past configfs, to partdisk. I follow the
steps (it does the allocating automatically), then write it and quite.
No errors, but it puts me back to partdisk again, in a loop. This is a
different disk, and no errors are displayed, this gets me really
confused.

* Re: [9fans] read: i/o error: at installation
@ 2006-10-23 21:50             ` Yosyp Bin Laden
From: Yosyp Bin Laden @ 2006-10-23 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ah, forgot:

dsl@box:~$ lspci -vn
0000:00:00.0 0600: 8086:2560 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at ec000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:00:02.0 0300: 8086:2562 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 11
        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:24c2 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        I/O ports at 1800 [size=32]

0000:00:1d.1 0c03: 8086:24c4 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        I/O ports at 1820 [size=32]

0000:00:1d.2 0c03: 8086:24c7 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        I/O ports at 1840 [size=32]

0000:00:1d.7 0c03: 8086:24cd (rev 01) (prog-if 20)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        Memory at e8080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:00:1e.0 0604: 8086:244e (rev 81)
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=32
        I/O behind bridge: 00002000-00002fff
        Memory behind bridge: e8100000-e81fffff

0000:00:1f.0 0601: 8086:24c0 (rev 01)
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

0000:00:1f.1 0101: 8086:24cb (rev 01) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        I/O ports at <unassigned>
        I/O ports at <unassigned>
        I/O ports at <unassigned>
        I/O ports at <unassigned>
        I/O ports at 1860 [size=16]
        Memory at 10000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

0000:00:1f.3 0c05: 8086:24c3 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
        I/O ports at 1880 [size=32]

0000:00:1f.5 0401: 8086:24c5 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
        I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
        Memory at e8080c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at e8080800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:02:02.0 0200: 10ec:8139 (rev 10)
        Subsystem: 109f:3189
        I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
        Memory at e8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>