* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-14 18:02 Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2012-03-14 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> >> I'd suggest to complete native SSH2 implementation.

> Let's not take this one completely off the table yet.  SSHv2
> would be extremely useful in helping open up communication
> with external systems again.

As Erik said, there is a substantial effort here, probably
more than we could expect of a student during a summer.
However, I can now say that the effort has been made, and
something more of an announcement will be forthcoming.
It'll probably be at least a few days, but a native SSHv2
implementation does exist.

>  I use to find sshnet extremely
> viable in a mixed network where now I'm just using sshv2 to
> tunnel in overly complicated startup scripts.

There's not a direct replacement for sshnet per se in this
implementation, but here ssh becomes a protocol sitting in
/net.  So it should be pretty easy to tunnel just about
anything, and I suspect that the changes needed to sshnet
would be relatively minor and would cut out all the SSH
protocol bits.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-14 18:32 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-14 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blstuart, 9fans

On Wed Mar 14 14:03:34 EDT 2012, blstuart@bellsouth.net wrote:

> > Let's not take this one completely off the table yet.  SSHv2
> > would be extremely useful in helping open up communication
> > with external systems again.
>
> As Erik said, there is a substantial effort here, probably
> more than we could expect of a student during a summer.
> However, I can now say that the effort has been made, and
> something more of an announcement will be forthcoming.
> It'll probably be at least a few days, but a native SSHv2
> implementation does exist.
>
> >  I use to find sshnet extremely
> > viable in a mixed network where now I'm just using sshv2 to
> > tunnel in overly complicated startup scripts.
>
> There's not a direct replacement for sshnet per se in this
> implementation, but here ssh becomes a protocol sitting in
> /net.  So it should be pretty easy to tunnel just about
> anything, and I suspect that the changes needed to sshnet
> would be relatively minor and would cut out all the SSH
> protocol bits.

boo-ya!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-14 13:15         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Mar 13, 2012, at 11:42 PM, Anthony Sorace wrote:
>
> >> I'd suggest to complete native SSH2 implementation.
> >
> > This has obvious utility, but I'm hesitant to add it without a
> > mentor who can vouch for its suitability for a summer-sized
> > student project, and who'd be willing to mentor a good
> > proposal for it. To me, it seems larger than that, but I'd be
> > happy to be wrong. Any takers?
>
> Let's not take this one completely off the table yet.  SSHv2
> would be extremely useful in helping open up communication
> with external systems again.  I use to find sshnet extremely
> viable in a mixed network where now I'm just using sshv2 to
> tunnel in overly complicated startup scripts.

sshv2 as a gsoc project will fail.  having seen an implementation
done up close, it's 3+ man-months of effort for a very skilled full-time
professional with years of plan 9 experience.  even so there are a
number of important decisions that will take up the summer like
how to relate to the v1 implementation, how to deal with passwords
keyrings and certs.  those are going to cost time.

i'd love to find the student who could do it in about 1/3 the hrs.
but i don't think that's realistic.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-14  7:11     ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2012-03-14  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Oddly enough, that idea does not come with the rider, "And then force
> Peter to use the library exclusively". I somehow doubt that acme will
[snip]

Be sure I will never downgrade to bells and whistles that add no
functionality, hewever, others would.hen rewrite every other's program
UI?
:-)

Best,
++pac

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-14  5:40       ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2012-03-14  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mar 13, 2012, at 11:42 PM, Anthony Sorace wrote:

>> I'd suggest to complete native SSH2 implementation.
>
> This has obvious utility, but I'm hesitant to add it without a
> mentor who can vouch for its suitability for a summer-sized
> student project, and who'd be willing to mentor a good
> proposal for it. To me, it seems larger than that, but I'd be
> happy to be wrong. Any takers?

Let's not take this one completely off the table yet.  SSHv2
would be extremely useful in helping open up communication
with external systems again.  I use to find sshnet extremely
viable in a mixed network where now I'm just using sshv2 to
tunnel in overly complicated startup scripts.

If someone is interested, with a predisposition towards
security issues, including a track record of tackling such
a task, I'd say we encourage it.  Getting us one step closer
to dealing with the default toolchain for many systems would
help for any future projects.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-14  4:42     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2012-03-14  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I'd suggest to complete native SSH2 implementation.

This has obvious utility, but I'm hesitant to add it without a
mentor who can vouch for its suitability for a summer-sized
student project, and who'd be willing to mentor a good
proposal for it. To me, it seems larger than that, but I'd be
happy to be wrong. Any takers?

Anthony

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
       [not found]   ` <CAL4LZyi-Tv-5C-QAKA+wOdcciUepZrw=OCEjhdLSPG=rg3n6Mg@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2012-03-13 20:24     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-13 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Oddly enough, that idea does not come with the rider, "And then force
> Peter to use the library exclusively". I somehow doubt that acme will
> suddenly turn into an MS Word-esque monstrosity simply because someone
> has created a successor to libpanel.

libpanel could be classified as a hate crime against the eyes.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
       [not found]   ` <CAG3N4d8ZQB7_8dsH8NfxB5Tj2ZtaGVfH7ZvuzWjYMT1X1jW6Xg@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2012-03-13 20:18   ` John Floren
       [not found]   ` <CAL4LZyi-Tv-5C-QAKA+wOdcciUepZrw=OCEjhdLSPG=rg3n6Mg@mail.gmail.c>
From: John Floren @ 2012-03-13 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Peter A. Cejchan <tyapca7@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would be nice to have a widget library including buttons, drop-down menus, multiple-line text entry, radio buttons, scrollbars, etc.
>
> Oh, no!!!
> ++pac

Oddly enough, that idea does not come with the rider, "And then force
Peter to use the library exclusively". I somehow doubt that acme will
suddenly turn into an MS Word-esque monstrosity simply because someone
has created a successor to libpanel.

John

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-13 13:28       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-13 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Mar 13 09:01:07 EDT 2012, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
> On Tue Mar 13 07:31:46 EDT 2012, yarikos@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'd suggest to complete native SSH2 implementation.
> >

> this project is too large for a summer.

however, implementing tls1.2 is not.

- erik

@ 2012-03-13 12:51     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-13 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yarikos, 9fans

On Tue Mar 13 07:31:46 EDT 2012, yarikos@gmail.com wrote:
> I'd suggest to complete native SSH2 implementation.

this project is too large for a summer.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-13 11:29   ` Yaroslav
       [not found]   ` <CAG3N4d8ZQB7_8dsH8NfxB5Tj2ZtaGVfH7ZvuzWjYMT1X1jW6Xg@mail.gmail.c>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Yaroslav @ 2012-03-13 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
- Yaroslav

* Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
@ 2012-03-13  7:05 ` Peter A. Cejchan
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2012-03-13  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs