* User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 18:08 suharik
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: suharik @ 2012-05-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Are there any works to improve Plan 9 user interface?
It looks unchanged since 2002.

(especially for trolls: I use not GNOME3, not KDE4, but i3wm in linux)
---
Really, I search the way to change the sick-gray background to some
more pretty color.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 18:14 ` hiro
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: hiro @ 2012-05-05 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

We will soon migrate to a brain-computer interface. You should
consider the UI as deprecated.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 18:17 ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-05 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Are there any works to improve Plan 9 user interface?

No.

> Really, I search the way to change the sick-gray background to some
> more pretty color.

Look in /sys/src/cmd/rio/wind.c

-sl

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 18:44   ` suharik
From: suharik @ 2012-05-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> We will soon migrate to a brain-computer interface.
You won't: 9front, likely, still will have no drivers to support
brain-computer interface.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 18:53     ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2012-05-05 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

umad

@ 2012-05-05 18:58       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2012-05-05 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

we silently implemented d-bus over soap which is the industry standard
for brain computer interfaces. It had to run in a JIT compiled PHP
though, so we ported wine to linuxemu and hacked IIS to run a
server-side javascript emulating a PDP11 and vmware LAMP server. The
PDP11 uses a Restful interface to facebook, which is implanted into
every ones brain and communicates with the LAMP over d-bus.

@ 2012-05-05 19:24   ` suharik
From: suharik @ 2012-05-05 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Look in /sys/src/cmd/rio/wind.c
I found nothing there that able to change rio background.
---
http://anonymousdelivers.us/uploads/2beed07b3043395562c06c5ba8c6777b.png/6904485.png
I'm going to make picrelated-like color scheme for the first time.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 19:26 ` Rahul
From: Rahul @ 2012-05-05 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Are there any works to improve Plan 9 user interface?
> It looks unchanged since 2002.

> (especially for trolls: I use not GNOME3, not KDE4, but i3wm in linux)

(I use xmonad myself, and have been interested in such a wm.)

There was one called omero[1][2] for octopus which is influenced by
plan9 however, it seems to require inferno to run (dis files). I have
been looking for one too, and according to this
http://jfloren.net/b/2012/4/16/stumpwm-blog.txt there may have been
some thing to start with. , and have been working with a simple hack
to maximize the term in rio on creation. It does seem that it would
not be very difficult to make it tiling. (I am new to plan9, so if I
am going against the spirit of plan9, sorry. )

[1] http://man.cat-v.org/octopus/4/omero for
[2] http://lsub.org/ls/octopus.html
http://lsub.org/ls/export/mainscreen.gif http://lsub.org/ls/omero.gif

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 19:27     ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-05 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> Look in /sys/src/cmd/rio/wind.c
> I found nothing there that able to change rio background.

That is why you failed. -- Master Yoda

-sl

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 19:31   ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-05 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

http://9fans.net/archive/2012/04/204

-sl

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 19:38       ` suharik
From: suharik @ 2012-05-05 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> That is why you failed. -- Master Yoda
Ok. (Every constant defines colors of windows, but I just say "ok")

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 20:03     ` suharik
From: suharik @ 2012-05-05 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> http://9fans.net/archive/2012/04/204
By the way, what is the /bin/w it cannot find?

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 20:16     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-05-05 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, 5 May 2012 23:24:46 +0400
suharik <gleb.ax.sh@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Look in /sys/src/cmd/rio/wind.c
> I found nothing there that able to change rio background.
> ---
> http://anonymousdelivers.us/uploads/2beed07b3043395562c06c5ba8c6777b.png/6904485.png
> I'm going to make picrelated-like color scheme for the first time.

Background is set in the last function of data.c. This is from my lavender rio:

void
iconinit(void)
{
	background = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), RGB24, 1, 0x787580FF);
	red = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), RGB24, 1, 0x9988CCFF);
}

----

The top of wind.c from my same lavender scheme:

Window*
wmk(Image *i, Mousectl *mc, Channel *ck, Channel *cctl, int scrolling)
{
	Window *w;
	Rectangle r;

	if(cols[0] == nil){
		/* greys are multiples of 0x11111100+0xFF, 14* being palest */
		grey = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, 0xEEEEEEFF);
		darkgrey = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, 0x333333FF);
		cols[BACK] = display->white;
		cols[HIGH] = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, 0xCCCCCCFF);
		cols[BORD] = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, 0x999999FF);
		cols[TEXT] = display->black;
		cols[HTEXT] = display->black;
		titlecol = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, 0x9988CCFF);
		lighttitlecol = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, 0xEFEAFFFF);
		holdcol = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, DMedblue);
		lightholdcol = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, DGreyblue);
		paleholdcol = allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), CMAP8, 1, DPalegreyblue);
	}

----

Note all the CMAP8 should really be CMAP24 on a modern machine. Even
the original green looks better with that change.

Apologies for the lack of a patch, that's from a pretty old version of
rio & I don't want to muck about with the other changes. I never
bothered finding where to change the menu colors, I think they might be
set in libpanel; not sure.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 20:44       ` suharik
From: suharik @ 2012-05-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Background is set in the last function of data.c
Oh, it works, thanks.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 21:04       ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-05 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> By the way, what is the /bin/w it cannot find?

http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/rc/w

-sl

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 21:41     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2012-05-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Saturday, May 5, 2012 2:44:40 PM UTC-4, suharik wrote:

> > We will soon migrate to a brain-computer interface.
> You won't: 9front, likely, still will have no drivers to support
> brain-computer interface.

This is due to a lack of available hardware for testing.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-05 21:44       ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-05-05 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

well, why not screen->chan chan instead? then the colors are always in
the same format as the display. (unless you change color resolution
later)

--
cinap

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-06  9:24         ` steve
From: steve @ 2012-05-06  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

don't joke,

i almost wrote a dbus client for plan9,
thankfully i managed to shift the project goals a bit.
the bit of research i did indicated it was going to be
a lot of work...

@ 2012-05-06  9:34           ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2012-05-06  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I don't want to know how many lost souls there are in infinite loops
because of trying to program the d-bus.

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM, steve <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> don't joke,
>
> i almost wrote a dbus client for plan9,
> thankfully i managed to shift the project goals a bit.
> the bit of research i did indicated it was going to be
> a lot of work...
>
> On 5 May 2012, at 07:58 PM, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> we silently implemented d-bus over soap which is the industry standard
>> for brain computer interfaces. It had to run in a JIT compiled PHP
>> though, so we ported wine to linuxemu and hacked IIS to run a
>> server-side javascript emulating a PDP11 and vmware LAMP server. The
>> PDP11 uses a Restful interface to facebook, which is implanted into
>> every ones brain and communicates with the LAMP over d-bus.
>>
>> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> umad

* Re: User interface improvement
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-05-06 14:02 ` jack
From: jack @ 2012-05-06 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 05.05.2012 13:08, suharik wrote:
> Are there any works to improve Plan 9 user interface?
> It looks unchanged since 2002.
>
> (especially for trolls: I use not GNOME3, not KDE4, but i3wm in
> linux)
> ---
> Really, I search the way to change the sick-gray background to some
> more pretty color.

No.  If you want something to look at, do something useful with the
computer instead of just staring at the background of the desktop.
In fact, the grey screen is a reminder to "get back to work".  ARBEIT
MACHT FREI
I've changed all my desktops to grey across all OS's.

-luceroz

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-08 13:41   ` suharik
From: suharik @ 2012-05-08 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Well.
Is there some simple gui programs (not sam/acme) that could be used as
a programming example?
And some alternative to http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml?

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-08 13:47     ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-08 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> And some alternative to http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml?

See statusbar(8).

-sl

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-08 13:50     ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-08 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Is there some simple gui programs (not sam/acme) that could be used as
> a programming example?

Simple: /sys/src/cmd/paint.c

Less simple: /sys/src/cmd/mothra/

-sl

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-14  3:00         ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-05-14  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, 5 May 2012 23:44:57 +0200
cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:

> well, why not screen->chan chan instead? then the colors are always in
> the same format as the display. (unless you change color resolution
> later)

good point. i guess the worst case if we do this is starting vga in
8-bit mode by mistake and change after. it's not like it would hurt rio.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-14  3:02       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-05-14  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Tue, 8 May 2012 13:50:07 +0000
sl@9front.org wrote:

> > Is there some simple gui programs (not sam/acme) that could be used as
> > a programming example?
>
> Simple: /sys/src/cmd/paint.c
>
> Less simple: /sys/src/cmd/mothra/
>
> -sl

i thought catclock was teh standard example?

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-14  3:29         ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-14  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> i thought catclock was teh standard example?

Catclock is a port to Plan 9 of an old X11 program.

-sl

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-14  3:57           ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-05-14  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon, 14 May 2012 03:29:31 +0000
sl@9front.org wrote:

> > i thought catclock was teh standard example?
>
> Catclock is a port to Plan 9 of an old X11 program.

i am disappoint! cinap gave me bad advice.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-05-30 10:50       ` suharik
From: suharik @ 2012-05-30 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> And some alternative to http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml?
> See statusbar(8).

something like "aux/statusbar ... < /dev/zero > /dev/null" didn't work for me.

* Re: User interface improvement
@ 2012-06-03  0:17         ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-06-03  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, 30 May 2012 10:50:03 +0000
suharik <gleb.ax.sh@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> And some alternative to http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml?
> > See statusbar(8).
>
> something like "aux/statusbar ... < /dev/zero > /dev/null" didn't work for me.

I just tried a bunch of stuff like that with no result, and then I
tried reading statusbar(8) again. The example given involves hget -v.
From hget(1):

          Option -v writes progress lines to standard error once a
          second.  Each line contains two numbers, the bytes trans-
          ferred so far and the total length to be transferred.

That's the kind of input statusbar wants. It makes sense when you know
about it. :) I suppose it's not a complete replacement for pv but you
could fill in the rest with du and looping over a 1kb dd.

--
This is obviously some strange usage of the
word "simple" that I was previously unaware of.