From: Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] The 9 Documentation Project
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 01:58:58 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 10:19:46AM +0200, hiro wrote:
> sl, it sounds like you're arguing everything should be decentralized
> and there should be no hierarchy, and yet the reality is power is
> centralized and there is hierarchy and things are enforced (for
> example what goes on the 9front website, or the minimum quality policy
> for anything that goes into 9front, including the man pages
> obviously).
>
> being included on a 9front.org subdomain the fqa is clearly considered
> official by visitors.
> why do you insist you're some kind of wild rebel if the reality is
> that powers have been granted to you specifically. is this somehow
> troubling to you?
>
> of course hidden power structures are easier enforced and get
> questioned and attacked less often, but i can't beleive that would be
> your motivation.
>
> the reason i'm bringing this up is bec. with some alignment (i'm sure
> there's enough overlap in goals to allow for this) the end result will
> have a higher quality for all of us and we don't have to splinter into
> multiple communities that have an even harder time communicating and
> collaborating than what is currently the case (there were specific
> complaints about this, so i believe we should make it better, not
> worse)
>
> "nobody can stop you but yourself" - i can't tell if you're trying to
> make a religious/political statement here, if this is cynicism or if
> you're serious. are you just being defensive or what kind of warning
> is this
>
> if i hear correctly your main suggestions are
>
> 1) people should just do whatever they feel like, on their own
> platforms and form new unofficial spaces and not care about how it
> fits in with the rest of the documentation.
>
> strongly disagree, it seems highly unproductive.
>
> 2) you say most people are complaining about fqa7
>
> i haven't heard any specific complaints about that. who exactly was
> complaining about this? where? on this mailinglist?

this is a lot of words about where to post some shit that does not even
exist yet.  nobody needs 'permission' form anyone to do anything.  whence
this sudden craving for bureaucracy?  what is this shit about "power"?
you think owning a domain name is fucking "power" now?  fine, let me
know where to transfer .net and .com.  I'm willing to save ten bucks a
year if it will make you feel powerful.

this whole email of yours is just restating sl's message on the
assumption that he's speaking in bad faith.  it's bullshit, there's no
call for it, and there's no productive possible response to your
questions.  yes, people bitch about the contents of fqa7 on this mailing
list.  they complained in irc too.  what do you intend to do with this
information?  or were the questions rhetorical?

anyway for a long time and in both media they always got the same
answer: "we know there's room for improvement, please suggest
improvements." now, it seems, this is insufficent: we must apparently
elect a project manager for the hypothetical documentation.  or
something.  I've lost track of what, precisely, you want to happen.

please at least try to remember that the fqa specifically is something
sl created almost entirely by himself.  it's one thing to try to make it
better, but it's another thing to call him an asshole for having done
it.  he's already brooked far more shit about this than I would have, in
his place.

fuck's sake,
khm