From: Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] The 9 Documentation Project
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:01:19 -0400	[thread overview]

On July 28, 2020 10:16:42 AM EDT, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>we need a clear, sane, documented process how to contribute.
>
>what you are describing sounds like it could become that. of course
>once we tested it out we need to also decide to start enforcing it,
>too. somehow last time the part of the system that i knew about didn't
>feel like it made enough sense to force it on anybody.
>
>and yes, for some things sometimes you're the only one, i'm sure you
>will be joined by others.
>
>let's just hope sl agrees! :)
>
>On 7/28/20, sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de
><sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de> wrote:
>>> it seems to me we might profit from making you boss of
>documentation,
>>> and whatever process you find will just have to become mandatory for
>>> the rest of us.
>>
>> I don't know.  That's exactly why I'm asking.  I'm happy to help, eg
>> can set up a 9front wikifs server including auth and handle user
>> registrations as well as structuring the wiki and editing it.  I can
>> also help managing changes and user feedback as well as asking
>> original authors to contribute to the wiki.
>>
>> I can also try collecting wiki content and format it for inclusion
>> into official 9front, if wanted, as well as sending patches to the
>> fqa, but I want to encourage people to also do that.
>>
>> I hope we find a good and helpful process for all users and devs, and
>> support developers so they don't need to handle everything.  Also I
>> hope I don't need to do everything alone, but I guess that's often
>the
>> case in an open source world where no money is involved.
>>

>> sirjofri

agree to what, exactly? just do it.

including stuff in the distribution would have to be very selective because of the danger of filling up the iso. i don't think requiring network connectivity for access to a moving target like community generated documentation would be onerous. rather, it's part of the definition: network effects require a network. (i do understand people would like a more coherent and directly applicable overview included with the system, but I think that's a separate issue.)

i think the fqa/book can just remain a fictional work created by me. its present form became very inflexible owing to the fact that after years of nobody contributing, but everyone always complaining, i went ahead and made it into a complete, printed book. i make no claim of ownership over 9front documentation, but i don't think it makes sense to bikeshed the existing (working) resource with a bunch of knobs and levers that will only get pulled enough times to run the car off the road, shortly before it is abandoned forever as it is now a smoldering heap of unrecognizable twisted metal, but thank god it has two steering wheels. instead, i advocate that any suggested replacement be created in parallel. i'm happy to link to any relevant resources in the fqa itself. grid stuff is already on my todo.

if we do decide to replace the fqa as the official resource, or i'm replaced as editor, i would be happy to fork my version and continue self-publishing it as fiction, even to the point of moving it away from 9front.org. i was mindful of this possibility when creating the book. the indicia claims it is released under a public domain license. in the end i don't think it really matters much if the book is considered official. anyone, anywhere should always feel free to pillage it for content.

all of this is to say, please just do it. the fqa only exists because nobody else made anything first. it took a while for me to follow through on putting it together, and i readily acknowledge that what is there is woefully insufficient. i remain hopeful the community can muster the effort to improve upon the current situation.

sl