* [9front] MP4/VP9, SSH & TLS Bounty Numbers and Progress
@ 2023-09-06 12:38 Dmad
From: Dmad @ 2023-09-06 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Greetings,

Was reading through Plan9 Haters late last night and saw the bounties
printed there.  Are those bounties still outstanding (just saw the printed
ones are nearly identical to https://fqa.9front.org/appendixb.html)?

I'm not a C programmer, but a SOC guy - however, thinking that a little
more sauce on the kitty (increasing the bounties) may be beneficial.

Those are the three I am interested in - let me know if there is something
more pressing for the project that needs focus.

Thanks!

dmadhatr@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

* Re: [9front] MP4/VP9, SSH & TLS Bounty Numbers and Progress
@ 2023-09-06 13:59 ` Lucas Francesco
From: Lucas Francesco @ 2023-09-06 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hey, just wanna tip out some of them MIGHT be outdated, like the
MP4/VP9 one. We have a vpx/h264/av1 decoder/encoder working and that's
stated there, but I'm almost sure the request was for an inhouse
library (and that's why the bounty is still there even though we can
decode, play and encode video) and another caveat on that one is that
I'm almost sure the person that put that bounty there is dead.

I know there's still people wanting a proper inhouse ssh server since
people were using a hacky one written in go, but you're reading the
TLS part wrong:  it's already done and it's missing on payments,
anything below the "DONE (pay up, deadbeats) " part is stuff that we
already have but the person that put the bounty there either didn't
pay or did not update us about the bounty being already paid, this is
due to the bounty board being 100% put up by people on ml/irc saying
they want stuff and the fact that 9front.org "itself" does not hold
the money to pay up the bounty.

As for increasing the bounties, this is all a community effort, 9front
isn't funded by anyone besides our time and money and the general
community wisdom nowadays is that increasing them isn't making people
do it, and bounties aren't enforced by 9front so any way this might
happen is convincing people that putting more money on the line is
worthwhile.

@ 2023-09-06 14:04   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2023-09-06 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On September 6, 2023 9:59:33 AM EDT, Lucas Francesco <lucas.francesco93@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hey, just wanna tip out some of them MIGHT be outdated, like the
>MP4/VP9 one. We have a vpx/h264/av1 decoder/encoder working and that's
>stated there, but I'm almost sure the request was for an inhouse
>library (and that's why the bounty is still there even though we can
>decode, play and encode video) and another caveat on that one is that
>I'm almost sure the person that put that bounty there is dead.
>

>I know there's still people wanting a proper inhouse ssh server since
>people were using a hacky one written in go, but you're reading the
>TLS part wrong:  it's already done and it's missing on payments,
>anything below the "DONE (pay up, deadbeats) " part is stuff that we
>already have but the person that put the bounty there either didn't
>pay or did not update us about the bounty being already paid, this is
>due to the bounty board being 100% put up by people on ml/irc saying
>they want stuff and the fact that 9front.org "itself" does not hold
>the money to pay up the bounty.
>
>As for increasing the bounties, this is all a community effort, 9front
>isn't funded by anyone besides our time and money and the general
>community wisdom nowadays is that increasing them isn't making people
>do it, and bounties aren't enforced by 9front so any way this might
>happen is convincing people that putting more money on the line is
>worthwhile.
>
>On Wed, 6 Sept 2023 at 09:42, Dmad <dmadhatr@sdf.org> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Was reading through Plan9 Haters late last night and saw the bounties
>> printed there.  Are those bounties still outstanding (just saw the printed
>> ones are nearly identical to https://fqa.9front.org/appendixb.html)?
>>
>> I'm not a C programmer, but a SOC guy - however, thinking that a little
>> more sauce on the kitty (increasing the bounties) may be beneficial.
>>
>> Those are the three I am interested in - let me know if there is something
>> more pressing for the project that needs focus.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> dmadhatr@sdf.org
>> SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

yeah, the list is more aspirational than legally binding. there's no mechanism for fulfillment or enforcement.  the right way to handle it is to pay people whenever the spirit convicts you. (or pay me to remove entries that bother you.)

sl

* Re: [9front] MP4/VP9, SSH & TLS Bounty Numbers and Progress
@ 2023-09-06 14:12   ` Dmad
From: Dmad @ 2023-09-06 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Copy,

I should have said I would cover the increase/bounty - but I figured that
was implied, but then again, written lanuguage isn't always as expressive
we'd like it to be.

Thanks for clarification on the TLS/Deadbeats issue - and the dead beats
issue in general, this really helped me understand the situation(s).

Appreciate your response.

@ 2023-09-06 14:17     ` Dmad
From: Dmad @ 2023-09-06 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Stanley,

Is this your patreon?  https://www.patreon.com/stanleylieber/

Thanks!

@ 2023-09-06 14:26       ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2023-09-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On September 6, 2023 10:17:38 AM EDT, Dmad <dmadhatr@sdf.org> wrote:

>Stanley,
>
>Is this your patreon?  https://www.patreon.com/stanleylieber/
>
>Thanks!
>

>On Wed, 6 Sep 2023, Stanley Lieber wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 10:04:45 -0400
>> From: Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
>> To: 9front@9front.org
>> Subject: Re: [9front] MP4/VP9, SSH & TLS Bounty Numbers and Progress
>>
>> On September 6, 2023 9:59:33 AM EDT, Lucas Francesco <lucas.francesco93@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hey, just wanna tip out some of them MIGHT be outdated, like the
>>> MP4/VP9 one. We have a vpx/h264/av1 decoder/encoder working and that's
>>> stated there, but I'm almost sure the request was for an inhouse
>>> library (and that's why the bounty is still there even though we can
>>> decode, play and encode video) and another caveat on that one is that
>>> I'm almost sure the person that put that bounty there is dead.
>>>

>>> I know there's still people wanting a proper inhouse ssh server since
>>> people were using a hacky one written in go, but you're reading the
>>> TLS part wrong:  it's already done and it's missing on payments,
>>> anything below the "DONE (pay up, deadbeats) " part is stuff that we
>>> already have but the person that put the bounty there either didn't
>>> pay or did not update us about the bounty being already paid, this is
>>> due to the bounty board being 100% put up by people on ml/irc saying
>>> they want stuff and the fact that 9front.org "itself" does not hold
>>> the money to pay up the bounty.
>>>
>>> As for increasing the bounties, this is all a community effort, 9front
>>> isn't funded by anyone besides our time and money and the general
>>> community wisdom nowadays is that increasing them isn't making people
>>> do it, and bounties aren't enforced by 9front so any way this might
>>> happen is convincing people that putting more money on the line is
>>> worthwhile.

>> yeah, the list is more aspirational than legally binding. there's no mechanism for fulfillment or enforcement.  the right way to handle it is to pay people whenever the spirit convicts you. (or pay me to remove entries that bother you.)
>>
>> sl
>>

>dmadhatr@sdf.org
>SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

that depends,  which entry did you want me to remove?

sl

* Re: [9front] MP4/VP9, SSH & TLS Bounty Numbers and Progress
@ 2023-09-06 14:30         ` Dmad
From: Dmad @ 2023-09-06 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Dealer's choice, your discretion - I'm not that overly familiar with the
project's needs, you know more about it than I do.

@ 2023-09-06 15:27           ` Dmad
From: Dmad @ 2023-09-06 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Stanley,

Sent funds through Patreon, satisfy whatever bounties are outstanding, and
I'll leave in that recurring donation for a few months.

DMad

@ 2023-09-06 15:52             ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2023-09-06 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On September 6, 2023 11:27:56 AM EDT, Dmad <dmadhatr@sdf.org> wrote:

>Stanley,
>
>Sent funds through Patreon, satisfy whatever bounties are outstanding, and I'll leave in that recurring donation for a few months.
>
>DMad
>
>On Wed, 6 Sep 2023, Dmad wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:30:29 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: Dmad <dmadhatr@sdf.org>
>> To: 9front@9front.org
>> Subject: Re: [9front] MP4/VP9, SSH & TLS Bounty Numbers and Progress
>>

>> Dealer's choice, your discretion - I'm not that overly familiar with the project's needs, you know more about it than I do.
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023, Stanley Lieber wrote:
>>
>>>  Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 10:26:35 -0400
>>>  From: Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
>>>  To: 9front@9front.org
>>>  Subject: Re: [9front] MP4/VP9, SSH & TLS Bounty Numbers and Progress

>>>  that depends,  which entry did you want me to remove?
>>>
>>>  sl
>>>

>> dmadhatr@sdf.org
>> SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org
>>

>dmadhatr@sdf.org
>SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

thank you!

sl

* Re: [9front] MP4/VP9, SSH & TLS Bounty Numbers and Progress
@ 2023-09-06 18:11     ` ori
From: ori @ 2023-09-06 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Dmad <dmadhatr@sdf.org>:

> Copy,
>
> I should have said I would cover the increase/bounty - but I figured that
> was implied, but then again, written lanuguage isn't always as expressive
> we'd like it to be.
>
> Thanks for clarification on the TLS/Deadbeats issue - and the dead beats
> issue in general, this really helped me understand the situation(s).
>
> Appreciate your response.

I take the bounty numbers as more or less a joke; if they were
serious they would be insulting.