* easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-23  9:05 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2016-11-23  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello,

there has been a lot of discussion about the go language
on plan9 / 9front. However I do not orient in it, it seems
to me there were a lot of different issues...

At present, what is the simplest way to get go on 9front,
please? A pointer to current instructions would be just
fine.

Thanks!
Ruda

* Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-23 10:07 ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2016-11-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

To install Go on Plan 9 you install it like on any other platform.
There is nothing Plan 9 specific about it, and it is easy.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-23 11:52   ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2016-11-23 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Depending on your platform, you can use these binaries to build latest go:

http://9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-386-bootstrap.tbz
http://9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-amd64-bootstrap.tbz
http://9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-arm6-bootstrap.tbz
http://9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-arm7-bootstrap.tbz

Hope this helps!

Marshall

@ 2016-11-23 15:38 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2016-11-23 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 4:05 AM, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> there has been a lot of discussion about the go language
> on plan9 / 9front. However I do not orient in it, it seems
> to me there were a lot of different issues...
>
> At present, what is the simplest way to get go on 9front,
> please? A pointer to current instructions would be just
> fine.
>
> Thanks!
> Ruda

http://fqa.9front.org/appendixl.html

sl

* Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-23 15:39   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2016-11-23 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Nov 23, 2016, at 5:07 AM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:

> To install Go on Plan 9 you install it like on any other platform.
> There is nothing Plan 9 specific about it, and it is easy.
>
> --
> Aram Hăvărneanu

There is the small problem of no git on Plan 9.

sl

* Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-23 15:44     ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2016-11-23 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Nov 23, 2016, at 6:52 AM, Marshall Conover <marzhall.o@gmail.com> wrote:

> Depending on your platform, you can use these binaries to build latest go:
>

> http://9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-386-bootstrap.tbz
> http://9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-amd64-bootstrap.tbz
> http://9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-arm6-bootstrap.tbz
> http://9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-arm7-bootstrap.tbz
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Marshall

Go is broken after 1.4.2 on 9front/386. I've been assured this is trivial to fix but so far nobody has fixed it.

The last time I tried to build 1.4.2 on 9front/386 this also failed. It used to work. I had no time to troubleshoot.

Amd64 seems relatively fine. The next problem you'll run into is standard go features that remain broken on Plan 9. I've been assured they are trivial to fix but so far nobody has fixed them.

I'm not sure if anyone has tested arm.

sl

* Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-23 15:45     ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2016-11-23 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

When I was last working on things a month or so ago, I believe the build
problem with building go on 9front was related to mismatched type
declarations; that is, certain types were declared in 9front as being
uint_32 or the like, and in go being uint_64, or something of that nature.
The details have escaped me, but the binaries may be the simplest method,
because they're (hopefully) just plug-and-play.

@ 2016-11-23 15:57       ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2016-11-23 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Nov 23, 2016, at 10:45 AM, Marshall Conover <marzhall.o@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I was last working on things a month or so ago, I believe the build problem with building go on 9front was related to mismatched type declarations; that is, certain types were declared in 9front as being uint_32 or the like, and in go being uint_64, or something of that nature. The details have escaped me, but the binaries may be the simplest method, because they're (hopefully) just plug-and-play.

Perform the empirical test. Building on amd64 works fine. Building on 386 is broken since 1.4.3 and now even building 1.4.2 fails. The trivial fixes mentioned have not been verified, documented, nor applied upstream.

The 386 binaries in question suicide on 9front. Fish and others are well aware of this since at least 1.5 but nobody does anything to address the problem. We just tell people who don't know any better that everything works great.

Welcome to the Plan 9 community.

sl

* Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-23 15:59         ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2016-11-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Ha, sounds great! Well, thanks for taking a look at the binaries. Good luck
Rudolf!

@ 2016-11-24  2:01       ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2016-11-24  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Amd64 seems relatively fine. The next problem you'll run into is standard go features that remain broken on Plan 9. I've been assured they are trivial to fix but so far nobody has fixed them.

I have go-1.6 (amd64) on 9front, which never tested 'broken on Plan9'.
I wonder who of 9front users faced it.

As I have many other things to do as a 9front user, I have no motivation to write
a program by go-lang.
Have you?

Kenji---written by drawterm on macos 10.12.1 (Sierra) :-)

* Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-24  2:26         ` sl
From: sl @ 2016-11-24  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> Amd64 seems relatively fine. The next problem you'll run into is standard go features that remain broken on Plan 9. I've been assured they are trivial to fix but so far nobody has fixed them.
>
> I have go-1.6 (amd64) on 9front, which never tested 'broken on Plan9'.
> I wonder who of 9front users faced it.

As I say, amd64 works, it's just that nobody has fixed the Plan 9 bugs that
have remained open on the go team's issue tracker for the past several years.

> As I have many other things to do as a 9front user, I have no motivation to write
> a program by go-lang.
> Have you?

I use several go programs on Plan 9 to accomplish basic functionality that
I require on a daily basis:

	- Taipei-Torrent for magnet links.
	- rrss for pulling and parsing RSS feeds.
	- scpu for SSH.
	- twty for reading from and posting to Twitter.
	- unrar for unrar-ring rar files.

All of these programs need to be compiled before they can be executed.

sl

* Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
@ 2016-11-24 21:58         ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2016-11-24 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2016, at 10:45 AM, Marshall Conover <marzhall.o@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When I was last working on things a month or so ago, I believe the build problem with building go on 9front was related to mismatched type declarations; that is, certain types were declared in 9front as being uint_32 or the like, and in go being uint_64, or something of that nature. The details have escaped me, but the binaries may be the simplest method, because they're (hopefully) just plug-and-play.

Yeah thats about right. I think there might be a patch in my ports
tree or something along those lines.

--
Veety