* [Caml-list] ipv6, any news?
@ 2003-10-12 22:04 Yaron M. Minsky
From: Yaron M. Minsky @ 2003-10-12 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I'm wondering if there's any news on the ipv6 front.  I understand that
3.07 has no support in it.  I've been getting some complaints from users
of my software looking for IPv6, and I'm wondering what other people are
doing to provide such support.

|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916 (new key as of Dec 4th)
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6, any news?
@ 2003-10-20 13:11 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-10-20 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron M. Minsky; +Cc: Caml List

> I'm wondering if there's any news on the ipv6 front.  I understand that
> 3.07 has no support in it.  I've been getting some complaints from users
> of my software looking for IPv6, and I'm wondering what other people are
> doing to provide such support.

No IPv6 support yet.  It would be a worthwhile addition, but I admit
to have no familiarity with the IPv6 API.  I got the impression that there
are some variations on the IPv6 API among Unix systems, which would be
a pain, but I may be wrong.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6, any news?
@ 2003-10-20 14:20   ` Francois Rouaix
From: Francois Rouaix @ 2003-10-20 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Back in 1997 or so, Francis Dupont wrote a layer of C to interface IPv6
calls to Caml. IIRC, the OCaml API was mostly unchanged (compared to
usual Unix network API), and hence a few of the network apps we had in
those days (especially MMM and the V6 proxy) were then used
(essentially as-is) in IPv6 interoperability tests on FreeBSD.
Maybe Francis still has some code in a drawer :
Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr
Otherwise, http://www.google.com/search?q=mmm+ipv6&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
might get you enough pieces to put it back together...
--f

On Monday, Oct 20, 2003, at 15:11 Europe/Paris, Xavier Leroy wrote:

>> I'm wondering if there's any news on the ipv6 front.  I understand
>> that
>> 3.07 has no support in it.  I've been getting some complaints from
>> users
>> of my software looking for IPv6, and I'm wondering what other people
>> are
>> doing to provide such support.
>
> No IPv6 support yet.  It would be a worthwhile addition, but I admit
> to have no familiarity with the IPv6 API.  I got the impression that
> there
> are some variations on the IPv6 API among Unix systems, which would be
> a pain, but I may be wrong.
>
> - Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6, any news?
@ 2003-10-20 16:50   ` Gregoire HENRY
From: Gregoire HENRY @ 2003-10-20 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xavier.leroy; +Cc: yminsky, caml-list, Francois.Rouaix, Emmanuel.Chailloux

Hello,

I've make some works this summer, trying to respect basic sockets RFC.
It's based on Unix module from ocaml-3.06.

http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~henry/ip6/socket6-20031020.tgz

it's early works, but feedbacks would be nice.

>> I'm wondering if there's any news on the ipv6 front.  I understand
>> that 3.07 has no support in it.  I've been getting some complaints
>> from users of my software looking for IPv6, and I'm wondering what
>> other people are doing to provide such support.
>
> No IPv6 support yet.  It would be a worthwhile addition, but I admit to
> have no familiarity with the IPv6 API.  I got the impression that there
> are some variations on the IPv6 API among Unix systems, which would be
> a pain, but I may be wrong.

Basic API is now a standard, and i've test on FreeBSD and Linux.
Indeed, i can see some differences in constant for socket options
and DNS request :
some are not defined on linux.

hope it helps
Gregoire Henry

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6, any news?
@ 2003-10-20 19:24     ` Olivier Andrieu
From: Olivier Andrieu @ 2003-10-20 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregoire.henry; +Cc: caml-list

 Gregoire HENRY [Monday 20 October 2003] :

 > Hello,
 >
 > I've make some works this summer, trying to respect basic sockets RFC.
 > It's based on Unix module from ocaml-3.06.
 >
 > http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~henry/ip6/socket6-20031020.tgz
 >
 > it's early works, but feedbacks would be nice.

I did some of this too : http://oandrieu.nerim.net/ocaml/#ipv6 .

I noticed you used a inet6_addr type for addresses. It's possible to
reuse the inet_addr type and have the C code discriminate between the
two by the string length. That way the sockaddr type wouldn't need to
be extended. But then you can't specify the flowinfo field (and I
don't know how to support it in this case).

--
   Olivier