* [Caml-list] posting policy and spam
@ 2004-01-03  9:24 Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2004-01-03  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

There have been several complains recently about spam getting through
the caml-list.

For your information, the list is filtered through SpamOracle, and the
posting address receives several hundred spams a day.  Due to spammers
getting more clever, the efficiency of the filtering went from perfect
to about 99%.  That's enough to let significant amounts of spam slip
through.

By popular demand, I just put the list in "subscribers only" posting
mode.  That should get rid of almost all spam.  (Keep in mind,
however, that a forged From address on a spam can match that of a list
subscriber; it happened in the past.)

The problem with the "subscribers only" policy is that many
subscribers receive the list at one address and post through another.
This will no longer work.  In the past, posts coming from
non-subscribers were run through a moderator.  Moderation is a boring
and time-consuming task for which we no longer have volunteers.

Consequently, all posts not coming from a subscribed address are now
summarily and irremediably discarded.  If your posts don't appear on
the list, that's why.  You need either to subscribe to the list with
the same address that you use for posting (see below for hints), or
adjust the From address in your posts so that it matches the
subscribed address.

Yes, this is a bit drastic, but there is no middle ground between
accepting too many posts (including spams) and rejecting too many
(including legitimate posters).  Pick your poison.

To finish, a few hints on using the caml-list manager:

Q1: How do I know which address I'm subscribed from?

A: Look at the "Received" headers in any message sent from caml-list.
If you're lucky, there will be a line
  "Received from concorde.inria.fr ... for foo@bar.com"
or
  "Received from nez-perce.inria.fr ... for foo@bar.com"

Q2: How to change my subscription address?

A: Send a message to caml-list-request@inria.fr containing the
following two lines:

        subscribe caml-list new-address@bar.com

Note that this message can be sent from any mail address, not just
old-address@foo.com or new-address@bar.com.  You'll receive a message
at new-address asking you to confirm your subscription.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] posting policy and spam
@ 2004-01-03 12:20 Claudio Sacerdoti Coen
From: Claudio Sacerdoti Coen @ 2004-01-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: xavier.leroy

[ Message posted again since it was caught by spamoracle ;-( ]

 Dear Xavier,

 are you sure of your diagnosis?
 I am asking since the spam messages I have received from caml-list
 were marked correctly by spam-oracle as spam:

 [ Note: this time I put double underscores here and there to avoid the
   spamoracle check. It is not easy to send a non-spam mail whose
   subject is spam ;-) ]

<<<<
From: Michael Bienenfeld <patrick.trekels1@pi.be>
To: ytolun@isnet.net.tr
Subject: [Caml-list] Don't M__iss T__his O__pportunity. i__ieo
X-S__pam: yes; 1.00; i__ieo:99 b__iz:99 b__iz:99 g__if:99 $__$__$:99 m__onthly:99 i__mages:98
+h__tm:97 h__tm:97 c__lick:97 p__atrick:04 w__ww:91 w__ww:91 m__ichael:08 o__pportunity:90
X-S__pam: unknown; 0.28; o__caml:01 b__iz:98 h__tm:98 b__iz:98 h__tm:98 g__if:98 $__$__$:98
+b__eginners:01 b__in:01 a__rchives:01 i__nria:01 i__nria:01 o__pportunity:98 b__ug:02
c__aml:02

 The first X-Spam was added by INRIA, the second one by my copy of
 spamoracle. (I know for sure since I have removed the two header lines
 and I have applied spamoracle -mark by hand, obtaining exactly the
 second line.

 IMHO, the conclusion is that spammers have not become smarter.
 Simply there is something wrong with the INRIA procmail and the X-Spam:yes
 messages are no longer filtered out.

						Regards,
						C.S.C.

----- End forwarded message -----