* [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-06 16:38 Fabrice LE FESSANT
                   ` (11 more replies)
From: Fabrice LE FESSANT @ 2011-06-06 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

  We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:

http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html

  These cheat sheets are supposed to help developers to learn and to use
OCaml by providing a condensed view of its documentation. Feel free to
use them, distribute them to your students, and to tell us how we could
improve them, what you think is important and should be added, etc.

--
Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-06 17:15 ` Yoann Padioleau
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Yoann Padioleau @ 2011-06-06 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice LE FESSANT; +Cc: caml-list

Like.

On Jun 6, 2011, at 9:38 AM, Fabrice LE FESSANT wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>
> http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html
>
>  These cheat sheets are supposed to help developers to learn and to use
> OCaml by providing a condensed view of its documentation. Feel free to
> use them, distribute them to your students, and to tell us how we could
> improve them, what you think is important and should be added, etc.
>
> --
> Fabrice
>
> --

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-06 17:25 ` Török Edwin
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Török Edwin @ 2011-06-06 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 06/06/2011 07:38 PM, Fabrice LE FESSANT wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>
> http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html
>
>   These cheat sheets are supposed to help developers to learn and to use
> OCaml by providing a condensed view of its documentation. Feel free to
> use them, distribute them to your students, and to tell us how we could
> improve them, what you think is important and should be added, etc.

Cheatsheet with revised syntax would be nice, although the OCaml manual
on the revised syntax is quite close already (missing only the object
syntax).

Best regards,
--Edwin

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-06 17:31 ` rixed
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: rixed @ 2011-06-06 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Polymorphic variants are lacking explanations (especially to help notice
the opened and closed versions of f. Also, a last line with the #t
syntax would have been nice (if space permits).

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-06 17:36 ` Gabriel Scherer
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2011-06-06 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice LE FESSANT; +Cc: caml-list

Impressive formatting. I can't imagine the dreadful time you've spent
checking each description to make sure it doesn't overflow the column width.

Some small remark:
First, I find the organization  of the "Standard Library" one a bit
surprising; maybe ordering modules alphabetically would be better.
More importantly, I'm a bit disappointed by the "OCaml Standard Tools" one.
They don't mention ocamlbuild and ocamlfind which I use much more often and
would, I think, be more appropriate on a cheat sheet that relatively arcane
options of the compiler (which I don't think I could use from this cheat
sheet anyway, each time I touch -custom I need to re-read the documentation
in full). Of course ocamlfind is not part of the base distribution, but I
still think it is a "standard" tool.
Stretching it a bit, I don't use ocamlyacc anymore, as I found menhir [1] to
be a better replacement for all purposes. That's the one I would have chosen
for a cheatsheet -- but I understand the value of describing a tool included
in every OCaml installation.

 [1] http://gallium.inria.fr/~fpottier/menhir/

Thanks for the work.

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Fabrice LE FESSANT <fabrice@ocamlpro.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>
> http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html
>
>  These cheat sheets are supposed to help developers to learn and to use
> OCaml by providing a condensed view of its documentation. Feel free to
> use them, distribute them to your students, and to tell us how we could
> improve them, what you think is important and should be added, etc.
>
> --
> Fabrice
>
> --

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-06 17:46 ` Gregory Bellier
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Gregory Bellier @ 2011-06-06 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le 06/06/2011 18:38, Fabrice LE FESSANT a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>    We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>
> http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html
>
>    These cheat sheets are supposed to help developers to learn and to use
> OCaml by providing a condensed view of its documentation. Feel free to
> use them, distribute them to your students, and to tell us how we could
> improve them, what you think is important and should be added, etc.
>
> --
> Fabrice

Really good job. I printed them right away.

* [Caml-list] Re: OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-06 17:56   ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2011-06-06 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On 06-06-2011, Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com> wrote:

> --20cf307d047060cc5604a50e8ca0
>
> in full). Of course ocamlfind is not part of the base distribution, but I
> still think it is a "standard" tool.

Indeed, describing ocamlfind command line is a must have. I think it is
will be really useful for beginners.

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Fabrice LE FESSANT <fabrice@ocamlpro.com>wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>>
>> http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html
>>
>>  These cheat sheets are supposed to help developers to learn and to use
>> OCaml by providing a condensed view of its documentation. Feel free to
>> use them, distribute them to your students, and to tell us how we could
>> improve them, what you think is important and should be added, etc.

Great work. Thanks.

Cheers,
Sylvain Le Gall
--
My company: http://www.ocamlcore.com
Linkedin:   http://fr.linkedin.com/in/sylvainlegall

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-06 18:01 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2011-06-06 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:38:05PM +0200, Fabrice LE FESSANT wrote:
>   We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
> http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html

Great stuff, thanks!

Any chance you can specify a license for the cheatsheets? At present,
they only say "(C) ..." meaning that one can do very little with them,
e.g. printing them for persona use and little more.  An interesting
usage pattern which is forbidden in present form is distributing them to
students of a university class which on OCaml.

It would be great if you could attach a liberal license to the PDFs.
Even better would be if you could release (.tex?) sources. I'm sure that
would turn most of the feedback received via this list into useful
patches :-)

Thanks again,
Cheers.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-06 18:10 ` Andrew
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew @ 2011-06-06 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Jun. 06, 2011, Fabrice LE FESSANT <fabrice@ocamlpro.com> wrote:
 > Hi,
 >    We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:

Wow, nice!
Could anyone perhaps suggest to the organizers of the ENS exam to stick the emacs cheat sheet near the screen of the
exam computers? Would be a blessing for students =)

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-06 18:16   ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2011-06-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew; +Cc: caml-list

> Could anyone perhaps suggest to the organizers of the ENS exam to stick the
> emacs cheat sheet near the screen of the exam computers? Would be a blessing
> for students =)

Sadly, a large proportion of them would rather need Caml Light
cheatsheets...

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Andrew <newsgroups.fr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>>
>>   We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>>

> On Jun. 06, 2011, Fabrice LE FESSANT <fabrice@ocamlpro.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>
> Wow, nice!
> Could anyone perhaps suggest to the organizers of the ENS exam to stick the
> emacs cheat sheet near the screen of the exam computers? Would be a blessing
> for students =)
>

> --

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-06 22:03 ` Benjamin Canou
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Benjamin Canou @ 2011-06-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Excellent.
Making me wonder, how come hasn't this been done before ?
Will be distributed in class next year (and I follow zack about the
license information, and why not the source so I can tweak it to the
course language subset).

--

   Benjamin.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-06 22:28     ` Hai NGUYEN VAN
From: Hai NGUYEN VAN @ 2011-06-06 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Andrew, caml-list

Caml Light is deprecated towards OCaml, there's no real need to promote
it...

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Gabriel Scherer
<gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>wrote:

> Could anyone perhaps suggest to the organizers of the ENS exam to stick the
>> emacs cheat sheet near the screen of the exam computers? Would be a blessing
>> for students =)
>>

> Sadly, a large proportion of them would rather need Caml Light
> cheatsheets...
>

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Andrew <newsgroups.fr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>>>

>> On Jun. 06, 2011, Fabrice LE FESSANT <fabrice@ocamlpro.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >    We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>>
>> Wow, nice!
>> Could anyone perhaps suggest to the organizers of the ENS exam to stick
>> the emacs cheat sheet near the screen of the exam computers? Would be a
>> blessing for students =)
>>

>> --

* [Caml-list] Re: OCaml cheat sheets
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-07  5:55 ` Mihamina Rakotomandimby
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2011-06-07  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 18:38:05 +0200
> Fabrice LE FESSANT <fabrice@ocamlpro.com> wrote:
>   We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's
> website:
> http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html

Good and helpfull.
I especially appreciate the Tuareg-mode one.

--
RMA.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-07 15:49   ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2011-06-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 06/06/2011 08:01 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Any chance you can specify a license for the cheatsheets? At present,
> they only say "(C) ..." meaning that one can do very little with them,
> e.g. printing them for persona use and little more.  An interesting
> usage pattern which is forbidden in present form is distributing them to
> students of a university class which on OCaml.

The files have been updated to display a Creative Common icon, BY+SA,
allowing free distribution for any usage.

We cannot really release the sources yet, as the formatting is pretty
simple, and we want to use better formatting/coloration tools for the
next versions.

Fabrice

[-- Attachment #2: fabrice_le_fessant.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Fabrice LE FESSANT
n:LE FESSANT;Fabrice
org:INRIA Saclay -- Ile-de-France;P2P & OCaml
adr;quoted-printable:;;Parc Orsay Universit=C3=A9 ;Orsay CEDEX;;91893;France
email;internet:fabrice.le_fessant@inria.fr
title;quoted-printable:Charg=C3=A9 de Recherche
tel;work:+33 1 74 85 42 14
tel;fax:+33 1 74 85 42 49
url:http://fabrice.lefessant.net/
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-07 16:24     ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2011-06-07 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 05:49:48PM +0200, Fabrice Le Fessant wrote:
> The files have been updated to display a Creative Common icon, BY+SA,
> allowing free distribution for any usage.

Great, thanks a lot!

> We cannot really release the sources yet, as the formatting is pretty
> simple, and we want to use better formatting/coloration tools for the
> next versions.

I'll hold my breath :-)

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
@ 2011-06-07 17:00     ` Philippe Wang
From: Philippe Wang @ 2011-06-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Le Fessant; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

The formatting is very good. :-)

A few comments:
There's no good reason for ~ character to be that "high".
In LaTeX, you can have a "normal tilde" with \textasciitilde.
If ever the font is guilty for that, you might want to use font txtt
(loaded by default anyway):
\renewcommand*\ttdefault{txtt}

Cheers,
Philippe Wang

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Fabrice Le Fessant
<Fabrice.Le_fessant@inria.fr> wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 08:01 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> Any chance you can specify a license for the cheatsheets? At present,
>> they only say "(C) ..." meaning that one can do very little with them,
>> e.g. printing them for persona use and little more.  An interesting
>> usage pattern which is forbidden in present form is distributing them to
>> students of a university class which on OCaml.
>
> The files have been updated to display a Creative Common icon, BY+SA,
> allowing free distribution for any usage.
>
> We cannot really release the sources yet, as the formatting is pretty
> simple, and we want to use better formatting/coloration tools for the
> next versions.
>
> Fabrice
>
> --

Philippe Wang
   mail@philippewang.info

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-07 20:13 ` Paolo Donadeo
From: Paolo Donadeo @ 2011-06-07 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

WOW, immediately published on Reddit and Buzz. Thanks.

--
Paolo ⠠⠵

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-08  6:46 ` Pierre Bourdon
From: Pierre Bourdon @ 2011-06-08  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice LE FESSANT; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 18:38, Fabrice LE FESSANT <fabrice@ocamlpro.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  We have published some "cheat sheets" on OCaml on OCamlPro's website:
>
> http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-06-03-cheatsheets.html
>
>  These cheat sheets are supposed to help developers to learn and to use
> OCaml by providing a condensed view of its documentation. Feel free to
> use them, distribute them to your students, and to tell us how we could
> improve them, what you think is important and should be added, etc.

Great job, thanks!

However, on the OCaml language cheatsheet, I think you inverted -1 and
1 in the "compare" function table:

# compare 1 2;;
- : int = -1

While it is written that x < y => compare x y == 1

--
Pierre "delroth" Bourdon <delroth@gmail.com>
Student at EPITA (Paris, France)

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml cheat sheets