From: mgushee@havenrock.com
To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] User library license
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:35:50 -0700	[thread overview]

On 23 Feb 2003 at 7:30, Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remai
wrote:

> GPL eliminates commercial usage.

Well, you'd better let Red Hat Software know about that. They have
this bizarre notion that you can build a whole business around GPL'ed
software. Fools.

Or did you mean to say something a little different?

> The best choices would be either the Academic Free
> License or the Mozilla Public License.  The Academic
> Free License is modern 'best practice' and was drafted
> by OSI lawyers.  The MPL came about through extensive
> user discussions over a long period of time

I wonder what sort of users you're referring to? Personally, I find
the MPL a monstrosity of legal jargon. Anyway, if you're going to
assert that certain licenses are "best," your readers would
appreciate it if you explained how you think those licenses benefit
software authors and/or the community. The fact that a certain
license was carefully designed (a claim that, I think, could be made
for most open source licenses) doesn't by itself make the license
good in general, or appropriate for any given project.

> See also the "Fallacy of GNU" -
> http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/13420.html

Hmph. Takes a potentially interesting point and butchers it. The
author's thesis is essentially: the GPL depends on copyright;
copyrighted materials are subject to fair use; since the GPL hasn't
been tested in court, fair use may undermine its supposed
protections without our knowing it. Could be. But he spends 90% of
the article illustrating general points that may or may not be
relevant.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO USA