From: Brian Hurt <brian.hurt@qlogic.com>
To: Nicolas Cannasse <warplayer@free.fr>
Cc: Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer
	<nobody@cypherpunks.to>,
	Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>, <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] User library license
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:43:30 -0600 (CST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> And what about a "do anything you want with it, including compiling,
> modifiying, inserting bugs" license ?

A) This would require relicensing the code when/if it gets included in the
standard library.  Which means tracking down every single contributor and
getting their permission to relicense their work (probably needing a
signed and witnessed peice of paper).

B) If you have identified some shortcomming in the libraries, the
probability is that other people have as well, and could benefit from your
code.

C) I don't want 50 different proprietary versions of the library running
around.  The original unix schism occurred because people (and companies)
took the source code, made changes to it, and didn't release the changes.
Which meant you ended up with 50 different, incompatible, extensions to
address the same problem.

D) A personal reason: I'm a paid programmer.  Occassionally I accept
payment in kind- which is what I view the GPL (and LGPL) as.  I, for one,
would be disinclined to license my code under a BSD or Public Domain style
license.

> I mean, this kind of collaborative work shouldn't even be (c)
> (although it's fair to maintain a list of contributors somewhere in the
> distribution)

There is a theory in IP law circles that the *only* way a copyrightable
work can become public domain is for the copyright to expire.  And that
simply distributing the work without a license doesn't mean that a license
(with arbitrary terms) could be imposed at a later point.

Brian