* Re: [Caml-list] Readline Support for REPL
       [not found] <20150811100018.8AA337EF27@sympa.inria.fr>
@ 2015-08-11 10:15 ` Nils Becker
From: Nils Becker @ 2015-08-11 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Even though the utop projects provides readline features, wouldn't it
> make sense to have basic feature support on the default repl for the
> language?

> Once you try utop, you never go back. ;)

for me the one thing that is sorely lacking in utop is a vi editing mode
like readline has. once you've started to use the shell with nice text
editing support it feels like a handicap to not have it.

* Re: [Caml-list] Readline Support for REPL
@ 2015-08-10 15:50       ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2015-08-10 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 08/10/2015 05:01 PM, Dhaivat Pandya wrote:
> Even though the utop projects provides readline features, wouldn't it
> make sense to have basic feature support on the default repl for the
> language?

Once you try utop, you never go back. ;)

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Oliver Bandel
> <oliver@first.in-berlin.de <mailto:oliver@first.in-berlin.de>> wrote:
>
>     ...there also is "ledit" as support for the toplevel-usage.
>
>     Maybe utop is what I could try also...
>

>     Zitat von Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com
>     <mailto:gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>> (Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:24:15 +0200)
>
>         Note that utop already provides these features and much more:
>         https://github.com/diml/utop
>
>         I'm not sure improving the toplevel is a good investment of your
>         efforts,
>         given that there exists such a nice alternative, and that the
>         switching
>         costs are basically zero for toplevels.
>
>         On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:37 AM, Dhaivat Pandya
>         <dhaivatpandya@gmail.com <mailto:dhaivatpandya@gmail.com>>
>         wrote:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             I was wondering if readline support for the OCaml toplevel
>             would be
>             appreciated. I understand that running the repl with
>             "rlwrap" solves a
>             similar problem but if we were to implement readline
>             support, we may later
>             on build on it with tab-completion, etc.
>
>             If it is needed, I would be glad to implement support.
>
>             -
>             Dhaivat
>

>         --
>

>     --

Regards,
Francois.
"When in doubt, use more types"

* Re: [Caml-list] Readline Support for REPL
@ 2015-08-10 15:01     ` Dhaivat Pandya
From: Dhaivat Pandya @ 2015-08-10 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2015-08-10 10:27   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2015-08-10 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2015-08-10  9:24 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2015-08-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dhaivat Pandya; +Cc: caml users

@ 2015-08-10  9:20 ` Ralf Treinen
From: Ralf Treinen @ 2015-08-10  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dhaivat Pandya; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 06:37:47PM -0500, Dhaivat Pandya wrote:

> I was wondering if readline support for the OCaml toplevel would be
> appreciated. I understand that running the repl with "rlwrap" solves a similar
> problem but if we were to implement readline support, we may later on build on
> it with tab-completion, etc.

readline is licensed under the GPL (not LGPL), so that might have unwanted
consequences for the license of ocaml ...

-Ralf.

* [Caml-list] Readline Support for REPL
@ 2015-08-09 23:37 Dhaivat Pandya
From: Dhaivat Pandya @ 2015-08-09 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)