* [Caml-list] OCaml 'hackathon' - Friday 8/19 - ..
@ 2011-08-09 21:11 William Le Ferrand
From: William Le Ferrand @ 2011-08-09 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear List,

A couple of weeks ago we "benchmarked" an ocaml event where people would
gather and share coding tips and techniques while working on a community
tool for OCaml. We were 3 friends, and we released baoug.org (you haven't
solved any problems yet ? Come on :) !)

While being extremely basic, this website is a ground for further
improvements, such as :

   - Typing, benchmarking of code on client side (live toplevel, so that
   people can experiment ocaml without installing anything)
   - Tutorials to explain what notions are required to solve a problem
   (terminal recursion?)
   - Sample solutions with a lot of details about a precise implementation
   (using immutable structures leads to a more performant code, why?)
   - Chaining problems, to aggregate them in "lessons"
   - Support for other languages (haskell?)
   - Syntax highlightning
   - and many more features, come up with suggestions !

We also need to investigate a bug that prevents the challenges to display
correctly on old versions of iceweasel and safari.

The idea behind this website is to aggregate ocaml resources in a fun,
community-driven and friendly manner. You agree :) ?

So, what about joining us the 19th of August ? We'll be located somewhere
downtown San Francisco, but remote contributors are more that welcome too
(we'll set up whatever tool is best for this). We'll start around 4pm but
you can join at anytime; (including during the week end, as the event will
probably last long .. :))

If you're interested, please send me an email and / or join the discussion
on the dedicated group : http://groups.google.com/group/baoug

Who's in ?

Many thanks

William

PS : if some SF people have children and are willing to join, we can
organize a visit of the natural history museum or a good time on the beach
for them!

--
William Le Ferrand

Mobile : (+1) (415) 683-1484
Web : http://williamleferrand.github.com/
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamleferrand>

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 'hackathon' - Friday 8/19 - ..
@ 2011-08-11 23:47 ` Philippe Wang
From: Philippe Wang @ 2011-08-11 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Le Ferrand; +Cc: caml users

Hi,

-- Above all, the idea is nice. :-)

-- I suggest you add a line such as:
# 0 "web form input"
at the beginning of the web form data, so that the error messages of
the compiler are relevant to the submitted code.
I personally added such a line myself in the textarea but it's not
quite effective when I forget it. :-)

-- There are nasty bugs, especially with "Learn the ropes!"
where there is no feedback at all when a code which compiles well is submitted;
should it be with
  let main x = "plop"
or with a code that is supposedly correct. However, some (wrong) code
that computes too much died, which is rather a good thing. But as
there exist some people who scored, it's even more annoying. :-(
 * Was tested with Safari 5.1 and Firefox 5.0.1 / OS X Lion, though I
don't think it has anything to do with the browser. Maybe the problem
implementation?

Cheers,
Philippe Wang

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM, William Le Ferrand
<William.Le-Ferrand@polytechnique.edu> wrote:
> Dear List,
> A couple of weeks ago we "benchmarked" an ocaml event where people would
> gather and share coding tips and techniques while working on a community
> tool for OCaml. We were 3 friends, and we released baoug.org (you haven't
> solved any problems yet ? Come on :) !)
> While being extremely basic, this website is a ground for further
> improvements, such as :
>
> Typing, benchmarking of code on client side (live toplevel, so that people
> can experiment ocaml without installing anything)
> Tutorials to explain what notions are required to solve a problem (terminal
> recursion?)
> Sample solutions with a lot of details about a precise implementation (using
> immutable structures leads to a more performant code, why?)
> Chaining problems, to aggregate them in "lessons"
> Support for other languages (haskell?)
> Syntax highlightning
> and many more features, come up with suggestions !
>
> We also need to investigate a bug that prevents the challenges to display
> correctly on old versions of iceweasel and safari.
> The idea behind this website is to aggregate ocaml resources in a fun,
> community-driven and friendly manner. You agree :) ?
> So, what about joining us the 19th of August ? We'll be located somewhere
> downtown San Francisco, but remote contributors are more that welcome too
> (we'll set up whatever tool is best for this). We'll start around 4pm but
> you can join at anytime; (including during the week end, as the event will
> probably last long .. :))
> If you're interested, please send me an email and / or join the discussion
> on the dedicated group : http://groups.google.com/group/baoug
> Who's in ?
> Many thanks
> William
>
> PS : if some SF people have children and are willing to join, we can
> organize a visit of the natural history museum or a good time on the beach
> for them!
>

> --
> William Le Ferrand
>
> Mobile : (+1) (415) 683-1484
> Web : http://williamleferrand.github.com/

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 'hackathon' - baoug.org does not work
@ 2011-08-12 17:03 ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2011-08-12 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: William Le Ferrand

Le mardi 09 août 2011 23:11:23, William Le Ferrand a écrit :
> Dear List,
>
> A couple of weeks ago we "benchmarked" an ocaml event where people would
> gather and share coding tips and techniques while working on a community
> tool for OCaml. We were 3 friends, and we released baoug.org (you haven't
> solved any problems yet ? Come on :) !)

Hi,
The initiative is a good idea, but currently there would be important bugs to
fix on the web site to make it accessible for everyone.
Currently the web site is unusable at all with both web-browsers that I use
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.18 and Konqueror 4.4.5.

In Konqueror the main content in the middle does not appear at all.
With Firefox it does appears but when we clic on it, it does nothing, so
impossible to access the content.

--
Cheers
Florent

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 'hackathon' - baoug.org does not work
@ 2011-08-12 17:05   ` William Le Ferrand
From: William Le Ferrand @ 2011-08-12 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list