* [Caml-list] Do you use a debugger with OCaml? If not, why not?
@ 2015-11-25 12:49 John Whitington
                   ` (11 more replies)
From: John Whitington @ 2015-11-25 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Like, I suspect, many people, my method has always been to insert
Printfs, and stare at code until I find the problem. In fact, the
ocaml.org page on ocamldebug says:

"In fact, for complex programs, it is likely the case that the
programmer will use explicit printing to find the bugs, since this
methodology allows the reduction of the trace material: only useful data
are printed and special purpose formats are more suited to get the
relevant information, than what can be output automatically by the
generic pretty-printer used by the trace mechanism."

So, I ask: What do you use for debugging small and large OCaml programs?
If not a debugger, why not? What problems prevent it? How does your
debugging process differ when writing OCaml compared with other
languages you use?

John

--
John Whitington