* [Caml-list] Reduce Inequality and Program in OCaml!
@ 2015-04-07 14:06 Trevor Smith
From: Trevor Smith @ 2015-04-07 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

I recently started at Pegged Software, an early stage company looking to
transform and equalize how people are hired. We're hiring engineers! I am
thrilled to be working on a mission doing social good, and to have the
opportunity to build out a team that will use, and contribute to, OCaml. I
have pasted the pain-text job description below and have a pdf version
here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-bucket-pegged/PeggedEngineeringPost.pdf

Excited to hear from you.

Trevor

Software Engineer
-------------------------

Pegged is seeking passionate, collaborative, entrepreneurial engineers to
help us transform and equalize how people are hired. We’re a small,
early-stage, high-growth company that cares about producing a valuable
product, growing together and using the right tool for the job. If this
sounds like you, please contact us at jobs+engineering@peggedsoftware.com.
We’re hiring at all levels of experience.

Pegged Software is fixing how people get hired. We do this by applying
modern data science to build predictive models that match individuals with
roles where they can excel.  We use traditional application data in some
very innovative ways, and we’ve built our own data-gathering platforms in
the form of applicant screenings.  We’ve started by focusing our technology
on the healthcare industry, and plan on expanding to other industries, and
then to a direct-to-consumer product that will help individuals and
companies find one another.

At the hospitals we work with, employee turnover is a major problem.  This
churn costs our clients thousands of dollars that could be better spent
improving patient care. We’ve reduced employee turnover at our client
hospitals by 45 to 75 percent, which has resulted in improved patient
experience, company performance, and employee engagement.

This is just the beginning of a revolution in how employers use data to
make better HR decisions, and how individuals are able to find fulfilling
work beyond the bounds of bias.  We have doubled in size over the last
year, just completed a $7.5M round of financing, and are growing even more
quickly in 2015.

What We Believe In
-------------------------
* Empathy with one another and our users. Inclusiveness, communication and
collaboration are core tenets of how we work.
* Contribution to the open source community. We are built on open source
technologies and we give back.
* Small feedback loops are critical to developing product and technology.
* Ownership gives individuals the agency to grow, and aligns outcomes.

What We Use
-------------------
We are pragmatic and use whatever tool is best to get the job done. That
being said, we most enjoy programming in OCaml on top of AWS, and make use
of Python to glue things together.

Responsibilities
---------------------
* Write server-side code for web-based applications and APIs.
* Create robust high-volume production applications and develop prototypes
quickly.
* Work with Data Scientists to create a data pipeline that supports offline
analysis, and online experimentation.
* Write automation code to deploy, monitor and alert to support your
application.

Must Have
---------------
* An entrepreneurial mindset -- you have a track record of easily learning
new technologies. You are a self-directed learner who can adapt quickly to
new tools to solve problems.
* A demonstrated ability to produce and support quality production code.
* Excellent communication skills.
* A collaborative approach to working on a team.
* A passion about making the world a better place.

Nice to Have
------------------
* Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
* Experience with OCaml or functional programming in any environment
* Experience building highly available, fault tolerant systems * Experience
building a data pipeline (bonus points for knowing about the Lambda
Architecture).

Perks
--------
* The mission, the people and the work.
  - The mission: work on a project that is making the world a better place.
  - The people: work for a high growth company, and learn in an environment
where people care about growth and work/life balance.
  - The work: pragmatically use amazing technology.
* Competitive salary, benefits and equity.

* Re: [Caml-list] Reduce Inequality and Program in OCaml!
@ 2015-04-07 14:56 ` Trevor Smith
From: Trevor Smith @ 2015-04-07 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Sorry for the double post -- I forgot to include: we are based in Baltimore
and NYC. We are plan on mostly building our tech team in NYC but are happy
to hire for both offices.

Trevor

@ 2015-04-07 15:41   ` Amir Chaudhry
From: Amir Chaudhry @ 2015-04-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Smith; +Cc: caml-list

Is the company already using OCaml?  If so, would you be able to submit a PR to the Companies page on ocaml.org [1, 2]?

The description just needs to be brief and it's better to mention where/how OCaml is being used.  You can look through the other examples to get an idea of what to include.

[1] https://ocaml.org/learn/companies.html
[2] https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/blob/master/site/learn/companies.md

Thanks,
Amir