* [Caml-list] Beginners Question for js_of_ocaml
@ 2017-01-13 23:58 Helmut Brandl
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2017-01-13 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Hello List,

I am trying to use js_of_ocaml to compile my ocaml project for the
nodejs ecosystem. Since js_of_ocaml does not compile calls to the 'unix'
library I have to call some javascript functions directly from ocaml.
All I need is to be able to call the javascript functions

- readdirSync
- mkdirSync
- rmdirSync
- statSync

and receive the results in ocaml.

I have looked into the documentation and into the examples, but I have
not found a way on how to do this. All examples are for use in the
browser. Maybe its a stupid question and it is so simple that I, as a
beginner in js_of_ocaml, just don't see it.

Can anybody give me a hint? Thanks in advance.

Regards
Helmut

* Re: [Caml-list] Beginners Question for js_of_ocaml
@ 2017-01-14  7:49 ` Nicolás Ojeda Bär
From: Nicolás Ojeda Bär @ 2017-01-14  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helmut Brandl; +Cc: Caml List

Hi Helmut,

I am a js_of_ocaml beginner, but it sounds like you could do it using :

  Js.Unsafe.fun_call (Js.Unsafe.js_expr "readdirSync") [| .. args , wrapped
with Js.Unsafe.inject .. |]

You can look at the docs at
https://ocsigen.org/js_of_ocaml/2.8.3/manual/bindings, especially under
"Binding a JS function", where there is an example with the function
"decodeURI".

Cheers!

Best wishes,
Nicolas

@ 2017-01-14 18:16   ` Philippe Veber
From: Philippe Veber @ 2017-01-14 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolás Ojeda Bär; +Cc: Helmut Brandl, Caml List

Also note there are bindings to nodejs for js_of_ocaml [1] developped by
Edgar Aroutiounian. I have not checked if the functions you need are in
there, but if they're not, you could contribute them to this project.

Hope that helps,
  philippe.

[1] https://github.com/fxfactorial/ocaml-nodejs

@ 2017-01-16 14:24   ` Helmut Brandl
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2017-01-16 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolás Ojeda Bär; +Cc: Caml List

Hello Nicolas,

thanks for the hint. It works nearly as you explained. I have to get first
the fs object and then make a method call and not a function call.

As you explained there is all information necessary in the documentation. I
just did not find it in my first attempt.

Regards
Helmut

@ 2017-01-16 14:30     ` Helmut Brandl
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2017-01-16 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)