* [Caml-list] Great Renaming
@ 2011-07-29 15:16 Damien Doligez
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Damien Doligez @ 2011-07-29 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear OCaml users,

We have implemented the decision taken at this year's OCaml meeting: to
change the name of the language and system to "OCaml" in one word, with
capital O and capital C, and nothing between them.

That makes it much easier to find on search engines, so we suggest that
everyone uses this new name (most of you already do anyway).

With a non-negligible amount of work, I have changed the sources
(including the copyright headers!), the Web site, and the documentation.
As a side-effect, recompiling the documentation fixed PR#5317 at last.

-- Damien

* [Caml-list] Re: Great Renaming
@ 2011-07-29 16:59 ` Sylvain Le Gall
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2011-07-29 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On 29-07-2011, Damien Doligez <damien.doligez@inria.fr> wrote:
> Dear OCaml users,
>
> We have implemented the decision taken at this year's OCaml meeting: to
> change the name of the language and system to "OCaml" in one word, with
> capital O and capital C, and nothing between them.
>
> That makes it much easier to find on search engines, so we suggest that
> everyone uses this new name (most of you already do anyway).
>
> With a non-negligible amount of work, I have changed the sources
> (including the copyright headers!), the Web site, and the documentation.
> As a side-effect, recompiling the documentation fixed PR#5317 at last.

Another side effect: caml.inria.fr points to active-dvi !

Cheers,
Sylvain Le Gall
--
My company: http://www.ocamlcore.com
Linkedin:   http://fr.linkedin.com/in/sylvainlegall

* Re: [Caml-list] Great Renaming
@ 2011-07-29 17:20 ` Mehdi Dogguy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mehdi Dogguy @ 2011-07-29 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez; +Cc: caml users

On 07/29/2011 05:16 PM, Damien Doligez wrote:
> Dear OCaml users,
>
> We have implemented the decision taken at this year's OCaml meeting:
> to change the name of the language and system to "OCaml" in one word,
> with capital O and capital C, and nothing between them.
>
> That makes it much easier to find on search engines, so we suggest
> that everyone uses this new name (most of you already do anyway).
>
> With a non-negligible amount of work, I have changed the sources
> (including the copyright headers!), the Web site, and the
> documentation. As a side-effect, recompiling the documentation fixed
> PR#5317 at last.

Do you plan to keep caml.inria.fr as well? or to add ocaml.inria.fr?

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Great Renaming
@ 2011-07-29 17:34   ` Xavier Leroy
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2011-07-29 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 07/29/2011 06:59 PM, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:

> Another side effect: caml.inria.fr points to active-dvi !

Unrelated, but thanks for reporting it.  It seems that INRIA's DNS is
broken and reports two different IP addresses for caml.inria.fr, the
correct one and the one of the server hosting advi.inria.fr...
I notified our network admins but we'll have to wait until Monday for
a fix.  Be patient...

Mehdi Doggy adds:

> Do you plan to keep caml.inria.fr as well? or to add ocaml.inria.fr?

We didn't discuss that.  For the moment, I'll wait until the
caml.inria.fr issue is resolved before asking our network admins
anything else :-)

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Great Renaming
@ 2011-07-29 18:05     ` Francis Dupont
From: Francis Dupont @ 2011-07-29 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   On 07/29/2011 06:59 PM, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:

   > Another side effect: caml.inria.fr points to active-dvi !

   Unrelated, but thanks for reporting it.  It seems that INRIA's DNS is
   broken and reports two different IP addresses for caml.inria.fr, the
   correct one and the one of the server hosting advi.inria.fr...

=> I've tried all servers of inria.fr and all answered with a CNAME
to pauillac.inria.fr (i.e., caml is an alias of pauillac) which has
the address 128.93.11.35 (IPv4, no IPv6 address) and BTW is an
alias of advi.inria.fr too (i.e., advi has a CNAME pointing to
pauillac).
Note this is not necessary what you can get as DNS records can be
cached and according to what I can see in this case for up to 2 days.

   > Do you plan to keep caml.inria.fr as well? or to add ocaml.inria.fr?

=> the simplest should be to add ocaml as an alias of caml
(note if caml is itself an alias ocaml must point to the canonical name:
CNAME chains are forbidden by RFCs so can't be assumed to work well
everywhere).

Regards

Francis.Dupont@fdupont.fr

PS: Xavier, passe le bonjour de ma part...

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Great Renaming
@ 2011-07-29 20:13     ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2011-07-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> We didn't discuss that.  For the moment, I'll wait until the
> caml.inria.fr issue is resolved before asking our network admins
> anything else :-)
Hello,

I hope your admin does not read caml-list or has a good sense of humour ;-)

Cheers,
Christophe

@ 2011-07-30  8:04     ` Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2011-07-30  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 07:34:02PM +0200, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> Unrelated, but thanks for reporting it.  It seems that INRIA's DNS is
> broken and reports two different IP addresses for caml.inria.fr

According to http://www.squish.net/dnscheck, all seven nameservers
consistently return 128.93.11.35 (pauillac) for both caml.inria.fr
and advi.inria.fr. If there is a problem, I'd suspect the virtual
host handling on pauillac. Notice the absence of a Host request
header in the following transscript:

~$ nc pauillac.inria.fr 80
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:02:40 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.16 (Debian)
Last-Modified: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 08:35:48 GMT
ETag: "9cef7-1e1c-48379373f0100"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<HTML>

<HEAD>
<TITLE>
Active-DVI
</TITLE>

- Florian.

* Re: [Caml-list] Great Renaming
@ 2011-08-02 21:26 ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2011-08-02 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez; +Cc: caml users

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 05:16:26PM +0200, Damien Doligez wrote:
> Dear OCaml users,
>
> We have implemented the decision taken at this year's OCaml meeting: to
> change the name of the language and system to "OCaml" in one word, with
> capital O and capital C, and nothing between them.
>
> That makes it much easier to find on search engines, so we suggest that
> everyone uses this new name (most of you already do anyway).

+1 for sure!

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] Great Renaming
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-08-04 16:11 ` Ashish Agarwal
From: Ashish Agarwal @ 2011-08-04 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez; +Cc: caml users

Thank you for making this change! It is very important.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Damien Doligez <damien.doligez@inria.fr>wrote:

> Dear OCaml users,
>
> We have implemented the decision taken at this year's OCaml meeting: to
> change the name of the language and system to "OCaml" in one word, with
> capital O and capital C, and nothing between them.
>
> That makes it much easier to find on search engines, so we suggest that
> everyone uses this new name (most of you already do anyway).
>
> With a non-negligible amount of work, I have changed the sources
> (including the copyright headers!), the Web site, and the documentation.
> As a side-effect, recompiling the documentation fixed PR#5317 at last.
>
> -- Damien
>

> --

* Re: [Caml-list] Great Renaming
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-08-23  8:41 ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2011-08-23  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez; +Cc: caml users

Now implemented here aswell :

http://ocamlunix.forge.ocamlcore.org/

Btw. would it be possible to mention that link on this :

http://caml.inria.fr/resources/doc/index.en.html

page ?

Best,

Daniel