* [Caml-list] OCaml 2015 talks
@ 2015-09-04 17:00 Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-09-04 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anybody know if the OCaml talks will be up on ICFP's youtube channel (
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRL68qZFfub1Ep1EScfmBw/videos)?

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 2015 talks
@ 2015-09-04 17:03 ` Runhang Li
From: Runhang Li @ 2015-09-04 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Yotam

ML family workshop just finished yesterday and I believe videos will be shortly available. For OCaml workshop, it is going on right now.

Kindly,

Runhang

@ 2015-09-07 21:18   ` Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-09-07 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the reply, Runhang.

It is now 3 days later (admittedly, after a weekend, and on Labor day in
the US). The ICFP videos (even recent ones) are all up on the youtube
channel I mentioned, but none of the OCaml 2015 or ML workshop are up. Does
anyone have further information?

-Yotam

@ 2015-09-07 21:25     ` Runhang Li
From: Runhang Li @ 2015-09-07 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Yotam

I believe student volunteers or ACM/SIGPLAN members are still editing videos. There are lots of workshops these days and preparing videos takes time. As I have seen, number of playlists [1] is increasing slowly.

Also notice that every speaker needs to sign a consent form to allow ACM to distribute and use the videos they record. However, not everyone agrees to let ACM use the video. Maybe some of the talks are not available.

Thanks

[1] :  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRL68qZFfub1Ep1EScfmBw/playlists

Kindly,

Runhang

@ 2015-09-07 21:28       ` Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-09-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, thanks for the additional info!

@ 2015-09-15 15:52         ` Runhang Li
From: Runhang Li @ 2015-09-15 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Yotam and other camels

Video chair of ICFP told me that he has not uploaded videos because the audio has poor quality. He’s improving them but might give up and upload them anyway. If anyone knows how to improve the audio quality, please contact him (Iavor Diatchki, diatchki@galois.com).

Thanks.

> On Sep 7, 2015, at 10:28 PM, Yotam Barnoy <yotambarnoy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK, thanks for the additional info!
>
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Runhang Li <marklrh@gmail.com <mailto:marklrh@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi, Yotam
>
> I believe student volunteers or ACM/SIGPLAN members are still editing videos. There are lots of workshops these days and preparing videos takes time. As I have seen, number of playlists [1] is increasing slowly.
>
> Also notice that every speaker needs to sign a consent form to allow ACM to distribute and use the videos they record. However, not everyone agrees to let ACM use the video. Maybe some of the talks are not available.
>
> Thanks
>
> [1] :  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRL68qZFfub1Ep1EScfmBw/playlists <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRL68qZFfub1Ep1EScfmBw/playlists>
>

> Kindly,
>
> Runhang
>

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Yotam Barnoy <yotambarnoy@gmail.com <mailto:yotambarnoy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply, Runhang.
>
> It is now 3 days later (admittedly, after a weekend, and on Labor day in the US). The ICFP videos (even recent ones) are all up on the youtube channel I mentioned, but none of the OCaml 2015 or ML workshop are up. Does anyone have further information?
>
> -Yotam
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Runhang Li <marklrh@gmail.com <mailto:marklrh@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi, Yotam
>
> ML family workshop just finished yesterday and I believe videos will be shortly available. For OCaml workshop, it is going on right now.
>

> Kindly,
>
> Runhang
>

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Yotam Barnoy <yotambarnoy@gmail.com <mailto:yotambarnoy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Anybody know if the OCaml talks will be up on ICFP's youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRL68qZFfub1Ep1EScfmBw/videos <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRL68qZFfub1Ep1EScfmBw/videos>)?

Kindly,

Runhang

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 2015 talks
@ 2015-09-17 20:21           ` Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-09-17 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the follow-up.

How unfortunate. The latest developments in the world of OCaml and they're
just... missing. I hope more effort is made next year into making sure the
audio quality is good (I do the video recordings for my CS department, and
testing the audio should be one of the first steps).

I hope you keep pinging the ICFP video chair periodically. The way these
things often work, if they're not acted upon right away, they're put aside
and forgotten about amongst other piles of work.

BTW, was the compiler hacking session at Cambridge recorded? From what I
understand, the content this year was essentially a preview of OCaml 2015.

-Yotam

@ 2015-09-17 21:56             ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2015-09-17 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I hope more effort is made next year into making sure the audio quality is
> good (I do the video recordings for my CS department, and testing the audio
> should be one of the first steps).

You are warmly welcome to attend the OCaml workshop next year, and take
care of the video and audio recording.

@ 2015-09-17 22:12               ` Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2015-09-17 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

My intent was not to fling accusations at anyone, nor to engender defensive
remarks. It was simply to say,

1. Let us learn from this for next year.
2. Let's push through to get something up on youtube, because given the
fact that every other workshop is up, there's a possibility that the OCaml
workshop will be forgotten about at the end of the day, simply because
that's what happens -- busy people forget or put off things that no longer
seem relevant.
3. The biggest movers and shakers in the OCaml community were probably
already at ICFP, and so aren't necessarily lobbying for the videos to be
put up. These videos serve a huge function, however, in getting people
(including myself) excited about the future of the language.

@ 2015-09-17 22:17                 ` Raoul Duke
From: Raoul Duke @ 2015-09-17 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My intent was not to fling accusations at anyone, nor to engender defensive
> remarks.

Word. I was a bit surprised by the response. :-) But then again, I'm a jerk.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 2015 talks
@ 2015-09-18  8:22                   ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2015-09-18  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have watched a few talks from the Haskell workshop, and the audio
quality is sometimes very bad, sometimes completely inaudible. Anyway,
it is still interesting to watch the slides, and have the talks on the
Youtube channel to show that there is an OCaml workshop...

--Fabrice

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:17 AM, Raoul Duke <raould@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My intent was not to fling accusations at anyone, nor to engender defensive
>> remarks.
>
> Word. I was a bit surprised by the response. :-) But then again, I'm a jerk.
>
> --

Fabrice LE FESSANT
Chercheur en Informatique
INRIA Paris Rocquencourt -- OCamlPro
Programming Languages and Distributed Systems

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml 2015 talks
@ 2015-09-19 10:09                     ` Runhang Li
From: Runhang Li @ 2015-09-19 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)