* [Caml-list] SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-01 17:47 Oliver Bandel
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2004-01-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

do you also get a lot of spam via the CAML-LIST?
OR is this only a fake-header, which some
spammers have created? (They may have read my emails
for that?!)?!!

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-01 18:04 ` Matthieu BRUCHER
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthieu BRUCHER @ 2004-01-01 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

No, the same for me - in fact I think that since I'm on the list, that's
a little before the Christmas holydays, I received more SPAM than CAML
mails...

Happy New Year ;)

Miles

Oliver Bandel wrote:

>Hello,
>

>do you also get a lot of spam via the CAML-LIST?
>OR is this only a fake-header, which some
>spammers have created? (They may have read my emails
>for that?!)?!!
>

>Ciao,
>   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-01 18:06 ` David MENTRE
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David MENTRE @ 2004-01-01 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

oliver@first.in-berlin.de (Oliver Bandel) writes:

> do you also get a lot of spam via the CAML-LIST?

yes.

Yours,
d.
--
 David Mentré <dmentre@linux-france.org>

* [Caml-list] Re: SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-01 18:27 ` Alan Post
From: Alan Post @ 2004-01-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

In article <20040101174711.GA1570@first.in-berlin.de>, Oliver Bandel wrote:

> do you also get a lot of spam via the CAML-LIST?

I suggest reading the list via nntp://news.gmane.org

The gmane.org mail/news gateway does spam tagging, along with the fun
archiving/search/webnews stuff.

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-01 19:48   ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-01-01 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 06:27:00PM +0000, Alan Post wrote:
> In article <20040101174711.GA1570@first.in-berlin.de>, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> >
> > do you also get a lot of spam via the CAML-LIST?
>
> I suggest reading the list via nntp://news.gmane.org
>
> The gmane.org mail/news gateway does spam tagging, along with the fun
> archiving/search/webnews stuff.

Yes, but the severity of the current problem is new. Up until maybe two
weeks ago, I would get perhaps one spam message from Caml-list every
week or two. Now it's 2-3 dozen a day. If this keeps up, I (like many
other list members, no doubt) can try to teach SpamAssassin to filter
out spam from Caml-list, but if there are false positives they will be
diverted to my spam folder, which I only review every 2 or 3 weeks.

So I'd rather not have to do that. The fact that this is a new problem,
and is not occurring on other lists I subscribe to, suggests that the
spammers are exploiting a weakness in the way this list is administered.
I hope the list maintainers will look into it.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-01 20:04     ` Matthieu BRUCHER
From: Matthieu BRUCHER @ 2004-01-01 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Matt Gushee wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 06:27:00PM +0000, Alan Post wrote:
>

>>In article <20040101174711.GA1570@first.in-berlin.de>, Oliver Bandel wrote:
>>

>>>do you also get a lot of spam via the CAML-LIST?
>>>

>>I suggest reading the list via nntp://news.gmane.org
>>
>>The gmane.org mail/news gateway does spam tagging, along with the fun
>>archiving/search/webnews stuff.
>>

>Yes, but the severity of the current problem is new. Up until maybe two
>weeks ago, I would get perhaps one spam message from Caml-list every
>week or two. Now it's 2-3 dozen a day. If this keeps up, I (like many
>other list members, no doubt) can try to teach SpamAssassin to filter
>out spam from Caml-list, but if there are false positives they will be
>diverted to my spam folder, which I only review every 2 or 3 weeks.
>
>So I'd rather not have to do that. The fact that this is a new problem,
>and is not occurring on other lists I subscribe to, suggests that the
>spammers are exploiting a weakness in the way this list is administered.
>I hope the list maintainers will look into it.

+1
I agree...
BTW, Mozilla Spam Flter functions very well and it learns very fast.
A solution could be to accept mails from senders that are on the mailing
list only, another useful behaviour could be to have a reply-to adress
equal to the mailing list adress...

Miles

* Re: [Caml-list] SPAM via CAMl-List?!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-01 21:06 ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2004-01-01 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 06:47:11PM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:

> do you also get a lot of spam via the CAML-LIST?
> OR is this only a fake-header, which some
> spammers have created? (They may have read my emails
> for that?!)?!!

I just checked my spambox and most of the spam there was sent through
the caml-list.  Most of it is "real" spam, and not windows viruses and
such.

The caml-list server does mark the messages with spam-oracle, although
it doesn't get as good of a hit ratio as my spam-oracle database.  (I
didn't know I was getting these messages until now).

Historically, though, the caml-list has gotten more spam than any other
list I've been on.  Perhaps the administrators need to reconsider only
allowing subscribers to post, or something more complicated, like
requiring feedback to post if you aren't a subscriber.

Dave

* Re: [Caml-list] SPAM via CAMl-List?!
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-01 21:59 ` Brian Hurt
From: Brian Hurt @ 2004-01-01 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Oliver Bandel wrote:

> Hello,
>

> do you also get a lot of spam via the CAML-LIST?
> OR is this only a fake-header, which some
> spammers have created? (They may have read my emails
> for that?!)?!!

I'm getting inundated at the moment.  This and a couple of other mailing
lists I'm on.  I'm wondering if some windows virus just kicked into phase
2.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-01 23:40   ` Tim Freeman
From: Tim Freeman @ 2004-01-01 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: apost; +Cc: caml-list

>The gmane.org mail/news gateway does spam tagging, along with the fun
>archiving/search/webnews stuff.

Spam tagging is working fine for the caml list.  The problem is that
identified spam is getting sent out instead of discarded.  Here's a
.procmailrc recipe that discards it:

:0
* From owner-caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
/dev/null

--
Tim Freeman                                                  tim@fungible.com
I xeroxed a mirror. Now I have an extra xerox machine. -- Steven Wright

* Re: [Caml-list] SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-02  9:43   ` Wolfgang Müller
From: Wolfgang Müller @ 2004-01-02  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bhurt; +Cc: oliver, caml-list

These days, 80% of my mailbox is filled CAML-list SPAM. Could't you make
this list subscriber only, and monitor the subscribers a bit? I guess this
would really help.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

PS: And, by the way, a happy new year.

* Re: [Caml-list] SPAM via CAMl-List?!
@ 2004-01-02 12:15     ` Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2004-01-02 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I concur. SPAM through caml-list has become a real nuisance these days.

      Ohad.

Ohad Rodeh
tel: +972-3-6401641
IBM Haifa, storage research

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           "Wolfgang Müller"       |
|         |           <Wolfgang.Mueller2@uni-b|
|         |           ayreuth.de>             |
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           owner-caml-list@pauillac|
|         |           .inria.fr               |
|         |           02/01/04 11:43          |
  |       To:       <bhurt@spnz.org>                                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:       <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>, <caml-list@inria.fr>                                                                                |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Caml-list] SPAM via CAMl-List?!                                                                                             |