categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Undirected graph citation
@ 2006-03-02 18:32 F W Lawvere
From: F W Lawvere @ 2006-03-02 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

As Clemens Berger reminds us, the category of small categories
is a reflective subcategory of simplicial sets, with a reflector that
preserves finite products. But as I mentioned, there is a similar
"advantage" for the Boolean algebra classifier (=presheaves on non-empty
finite cardinals, or "symmetric" simplicial sets):
The category of small groupoids is reflective in this topos, with the
reflector preserving finite products. Thus the Poincare' groupoid of a
simplicial complex is directly available. (The simplicial complexes are
merely the objects generated weakly by their points, a relation which
defines a cartesian closed reflective subcategory of any topos.)

It is not clear how one is to measure the loss or gain of combinatorial
information in composing the various singular and realization functors
between these different models. Is there such a measure?

Bill Lawvere

F. William Lawvere
Mathematics Department, State University of New York
244 Mathematics Building, Buffalo, N.Y. 14260-2900 USA
Tel. 716-645-6284
HOMEPAGE:  http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~wlawvere

* Re: Undirected graph citation
@ 2006-03-03  9:04 Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2006-03-03  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Undirected versus directed

Going along with the last messages of C Berger and FW Lawvere, I
would like to list the following parallel notions, undirected versus
directed. Of course, it is not a question of saying which is better,
but only of separating them to make things clearer.

---

Undirected:

- symmetric simplicial sets (sss)
- simplicial complexes (classical)
= sets with distinguished subsets
= sss where each simplex is determined by its vertices
- undirected graphs
- groupoids (fundamental groupoids)
- abelian groups (homology groups)
- spaces
- classical metric spaces
- undirected algebraic topology
---

Directed:

- simplicial sets
- "directed simplicial complexes" (not classical)
= sets with distinguished words
= simplicial sets where each simplex is determined by (the family of)
its vertices
- directed graphs
- categories (fundamental categories)
- preordered abelian groups ("directed homology groups")
- "directed spaces" (preordered, locally preordered, etc.)
- generalised metric spaces (Lawvere)
- "directed algebraic topology"
---

Spaces are plainly an undirected structure. Note that their singular
simplicial set already has a natural symmetric structure (by
"permuting vertices" on tetrahedra); there is no need of symmetrising
it and loosing information.

Classical algebraic topology is mostly undirected (since spaces,
groupoids, abelian groups are so), but it has also used directed
structures, like simplicial sets, for undirected purposes: simulating
spaces and computing undirected algebraic structures, like groupoids
and homology groups.
The study of "directed algebraic topology" is quite recent. (There
are some papers on that in my web page, from which one can see the
literature; present applications are concerned with concurrency and
rewriting. But the general aim should be modeling non-reversible
phenomena.)

Finally, I would like to point out - once more - that the term
"simplicial complex" is highly confusing: this notion (as Bill
recalls) is a simplified version of a symmetric simplicial set, while
the corresponding simplified version of a simplicial set is a "set
with distinguished words" (the reflexive cartesian closed subcategory
of "objects determined by their vertices", in the presheaf topos of
simplicial sets). But I have noticed that people can get nervous
about terminology, and it might be better to forget about this last
point.

Marco Grandis

* Re:  Undirected graph citation
@ 2006-03-08 20:22 Dr. Cyrus F Nourani
From: Dr. Cyrus F Nourani @ 2006-03-08 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hmmm, a paper entitled Funcotrial Generic Filters was written
July 2005, abstract to ASL, where you can observe ejecting on
initial segments towards models. What it might do on preshaeves
was sent to a conference a month ago. Like I had told the list there
were papers I published over several years ago on functors computing models
on Hasse diagrams.
I'm not in a position to escalate and have to keep you on a holding
as to what it was doing on sheaves. On the surface it appears as if
we are living in parallel worlds getting a message through.
Cyrus

etc, etc...