categories - Category Theory list
* Re:  Undirected graph citation
@ 2006-03-08 20:22 Dr. Cyrus F Nourani
From: Dr. Cyrus F Nourani @ 2006-03-08 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hmmm, a paper entitled Funcotrial Generic Filters was written
July 2005, abstract to ASL, where you can observe ejecting on
initial segments towards models. What it might do on preshaeves
was sent to a conference a month ago. Like I had told the list there
were papers I published over several years ago on functors computing models
on Hasse diagrams.
I'm not in a position to escalate and have to keep you on a holding
as to what it was doing on sheaves. On the surface it appears as if
we are living in parallel worlds getting a message through.
Cyrus

etc, etc...

* Re: Undirected graph citation
@ 2006-03-07  4:43       ` Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2006-03-07  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

George Janelidze wrote:

> Indeed, there were no monoids in Vaughan's original message of February 28,

My take on monoids vs. initial segments of Delta, FinSet, etc. as sites
for a category of presheaves is that it is like Hasse diagrams vs.
posets, or axioms vs. theories.  The former should be understood only as
a convenient representation of its idempotent completion, just as a
Hasse diagram of a poset is a convenient representation of its reflexive
transitive closure, or an axiom system a convenient representation of a
theory.

In the case of reflexive undirected graphs as a presheaf category, the
monoid Set(2,2) works as a site but is not idempotent closed (the two
constant functions don't split).  In the category of sets with one or
two elements however, the terminator splits the constant functions, as
it does in any category with a terminator if one defines "constant
morphism" as an idempotent split by the terminator.

The benefit of idempotent closed sites is that equivalent presheaf
categories must then have equivalent sites, as I learned from Jiri
Adamek's post on this list the other week asking for the earliest
reference to that fact.  I subsequently learned the proof from Borceux
Vol I (Theorem 6.5.11, where idempotent completion is called by its
synonym Cauchy completion).

My question was about the theory, for which Bill pointed out a nice
axiomatization.

As it turns out, the earliest reference answering my original question
may well be this very list!  At the risk of embarrassing Marco Grandis
(to whom I therefore apologize in advance), the 1999 monoid-on-graphs
thread at

   http://www.mta.ca/~cat-dist/catlist/1999/monoid-on-graphs

includes two posts by Marco, the first asserting that FinSet could be
substituted for Delta in the definition of reflexive graphs as
presheaves on the truncation of that site, the second recanting a day
later and pointing out the impact of the twist:2->2 in creating what he
called at the time involutive reflexive graphs.  Marco subsequently
wrote about symmetric simplicial complexes as the higher-dimensional
generalization of the impact of the twist.

So far no one has mentioned an earlier explicit reference than this
March 1999 one in response to my question.  Bill mentioned Sets for
Mathematics, but that was 2003.

I did however receive two private responses from a La Jolla 1965
participant who first protested that surely presheaves on the site I
asked about were *directed* graphs, but then with the same one-day pause
as Marco pointed out the role of the twist in binding together the two
directions of an undirected edge.  (I assume this is history repeating
itself and not the email counterpart of a standup routine the experts do
from time to time for our edutainment.  In standup, timing is as
important as content.)

My own excuse for not noticing Marco's 1999 posts, or for that matter
Francois Lamarche's citation question sparking that whole thread, is
that I was in Hanover that week exhibiting at CeBIT what Guinness
Records 2000 subsequently listed as the world's smallest webserver
(p.162, nestled interestingly when the book is closed).  Bad timing on
my part, that was a useful thread.

It's impressive what can come out of a simple request for citations on
this list.

Vaughan

* Re: Undirected graph citation
@ 2006-03-07  1:04         ` George Janelidze
From: George Janelidze @ 2006-03-07  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Bill,

> By a presentation in mathematics I mean generators and relations for an
> algebraic structure of a certain kind. Occasionally we are fortunate to
> have also another more direct description of the same algebra, which it is
> useful to make explicit; a well known example of the usefulness of making
> explicit such a conceptual (as opposed to syntactical) description is the
> pair of definitions for the algebra of operators that defines the notion
> of simplicial set.

By a presentation in mathematics I mean exactly the same thing, I agree with
every word you said in this paragraph, and I know that what we call today
Lawvere theories was your beautiful discovery along this lines to thoughts.

> In your 2001 book with Borceux, Definition 7.2.1 involves five generators
> and five relations. Sometimes this is augmented by symmetry.
>
> What is actually being presented ?  a certain full finite subcategory of
> the category of finite sets.

I am sorry, what is "presented" in Definition 7.2.1 can of course be
considered as a subcategory of the category of finite sets, but certainly
not full (because, say, there are no arrows from C_1 to C_2). I suppose you
have noticed this, and so you are suggesting to modify the Definition
7.2.1 - since in "all" examples in fact there are more arrows. Well, one
could do so, but there is also a good reason not to do so: those five
generators and five relations is exactly the minimum needed to define
internal actions (I have actually first used this definition in my CT90
paper "Precategories and Galois theory" and many other people used similar
definitions for other purposes, probably long before).

Having said this, I again agree with every word of the rest of your message.
Can you accept the fact I agree with it and at the same time I do like
Definition 7.2.1? Note that if we go one step down in dimension, there will
be reflexive graphs whose "theory" is a full subcategory of sets and just
graphs whose "theory" is not. Are you telling me that this is a good reason
to forget the notion of graph, and use only reflexive graphs?

George

@ 2006-03-06 20:08       ` wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2006-03-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear George

@ 2006-03-05 19:15     ` George Janelidze
From: George Janelidze @ 2006-03-05 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Bill,

[...]

are beautiful examples where R is an equivalence relation and F(R) is a

From: F W Lawvere @ 2006-03-05  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

@ 2006-03-03 17:59 ` George Janelidze

@ 2006-03-03  9:04 Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2006-03-03  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Undirected versus directed

Going along with the last messages of C Berger and FW Lawvere, I
would like to list the following parallel notions, undirected versus
directed. Of course, it is not a question of saying which is better,
but only of separating them to make things clearer.

---

Undirected:

- symmetric simplicial sets (sss)
- simplicial complexes (classical)
= sets with distinguished subsets
= sss where each simplex is determined by its vertices
- undirected graphs
- groupoids (fundamental groupoids)
- abelian groups (homology groups)
- spaces
- classical metric spaces
- undirected algebraic topology
---

Directed:

- simplicial sets
- "directed simplicial complexes" (not classical)
= sets with distinguished words
= simplicial sets where each simplex is determined by (the family of)
its vertices
- directed graphs
- categories (fundamental categories)
- preordered abelian groups ("directed homology groups")
- "directed spaces" (preordered, locally preordered, etc.)
- generalised metric spaces (Lawvere)
- "directed algebraic topology"
---

Spaces are plainly an undirected structure. Note that their singular
simplicial set already has a natural symmetric structure (by
"permuting vertices" on tetrahedra); there is no need of symmetrising
it and loosing information.

Classical algebraic topology is mostly undirected (since spaces,
groupoids, abelian groups are so), but it has also used directed
structures, like simplicial sets, for undirected purposes: simulating
spaces and computing undirected algebraic structures, like groupoids
and homology groups.
The study of "directed algebraic topology" is quite recent. (There
are some papers on that in my web page, from which one can see the
literature; present applications are concerned with concurrency and
rewriting. But the general aim should be modeling non-reversible
phenomena.)

Finally, I would like to point out - once more - that the term
"simplicial complex" is highly confusing: this notion (as Bill
recalls) is a simplified version of a symmetric simplicial set, while
the corresponding simplified version of a simplicial set is a "set
with distinguished words" (the reflexive cartesian closed subcategory
of "objects determined by their vertices", in the presheaf topos of
simplicial sets). But I have noticed that people can get nervous
about terminology, and it might be better to forget about this last
point.

Marco Grandis

* Re: Undirected graph citation
@ 2006-03-02 18:32 F W Lawvere