categories - Category Theory list
* Re: pragmatic foundation
@ 2009-11-11 16:38 Colin McLarty
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Colin McLarty @ 2009-11-11 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

2009/11/6 Andre Joyal <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>:

writes

> I invite everyone to read the interesting interview of Yuri Manin
> published in the November issue of the Notices of the AMS:

Manin is always entertaining but not very careful about what he says.

André says:

> The foundational framework of Bourbaki is very much in the tradition
> of Zermelo-Fraenkel, Godel-Bernays and Russell.
> I am aware that Bourbaki was more interested in the development of
> mathematics than in its foundation.

I agree.  Naturally Bourbaki was in a better situation to make up a
system that would work, since they had the others behind them.  And
still their system did not work in fact.

Russell was more concerned with philosophic issues of logic, but his
touchstone for logic was that it should work!  (He was very clear
about this by 1919, in his Principles Of Mathematical Philosophy.)  He
knew a lot less than Zermelo about what would work for two reasons:
Russell got into it much earlier, and Russell studied math as a
philosopher at Cambridge while Zermelo studied it as a mathematician
with Hilbert in Göttingen and in debates with Poincaré.

All these people sought a foundation that would make sense in itself
and would work.  Naturally they had different emphases, partly shaped
by the different resources they could draw on.  Russell, Zermelo, and
Gödel all read each other (recalling that Russell was 59 years old,
and two decades past his work on logic, when Gödel published the
incompleteness theorem, and everyone took years absorbing it).

> In the interview, Manin also said that:
>
>>And so I don’t foresee anything extraordinary
>>in the next twenty years.

Of course we do not expect to *foresee* extraordinary things.

>> Probably, a rebuilding of what I call the “pragmatic
>> foundations of mathematics” will continue.

That is a pretty safe bet.

>>By this I mean simply a
>>codification of efficient new intuitive tools, such
>>as Feynman path integrals, higher categories, the
>>“brave new algebra” of homotopy theorists, as
>>well as emerging new value systems and accepted
>>forms of presenting results that exist in the minds
>>and research papers of working mathematicians
>>here and now, at each particular time.

Yes, there will be progress on all of these things.

I myself am also confident that people will calm down and notice that
axiomatic categorical foundations such as ETCS and CCAF work perfectly
well, in formal terms, and relate much more directly to practice than
any earlier foundations.  One hundred and fifty years of explicitly
foundational thought has made this progress possible.  By now, that
can hardly qualify as "extraordinary"!

best, Colin

* Re: Re: categorical foundations
@ 2009-11-16 14:54 Colin McLarty
From: Colin McLarty @ 2009-11-16 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

2009/11/15  <Andre.Rodin@ens.fr>:

Suggests a better take on CCAF than the one he has been taking.  That
would be a take based more on Bill's published work on CCAF, and less
on the philosophical objection that Geoff Hellman used to make about
CCAF.  Geoff himself has given up this objection.

> AR: True, the most general notion of “collection” one can imagine may cover
> “category” and what not. But, I claim, the preformal notion of collection
> *relevant to the axiomatic method in its modern form* is more specific, and
> does NOT cover the preformal notion of category. I’m talking about “systems of
> things” in the sense of Hilbert 1899 rather than sets in the sense of ZFC or of
> any other axiomatic theory of sets.

This is the Hilbert conception where axioms are not asserted as true
but offered as implicit definition; and so they are not about any
specific subject matter but may be applied to whatever satisfies them.

Lawvere from 1963 on has always been clear that his first order axioms
ETCS and CCAF can be taken this way for metamathematical study -- but
that he does assert them as true specifically of actual sets and
categories.   (Now Bill is not talking about any idealist truth or
objects.  He takes a dialectical view.  But that is another topic.)

> In ETC (the Elementary Theory of Categories in the sense of Bill’s 1966 paper)
> categories are conceived as collections of things called “morphisms” provided
> with relations called “domain”, “codomain” and “composition” (I hope I nothing
> forgot).

This is one use of ETC, and indeed a use made daily in mathematics.
But it is not the use in CCAF.  The fragment of CCAF you are calling
ETC is asserted of specific things.  Bill says it deals with: "the
category whose maps are ‘all’ possible functors, and whose objects are
‘all’ possible (identity functors of) categories. Of course such
universality needs to be tempered somewhat."  The requisite tempering
is very like that familiar in set theory, and Bill describes it.  (The
quote is his dissertation p. 26 of the TAC reprint.)

> Even if there are pragmatic reasons to build
> theories of sets like ETCS and other mathematical theories on the basis of ETC
> rather than use axiomatic theories of sets like ZFC for doing category theory
> and the rest of mathematics, this doesn’t change the above argument.

What does change it though, is the interpretation of ETC in CCAF. That
interpretation does not use The "Hilbert conception."

Actually, it is best regarded as a single interpretation with a
parameter: interpret "object" in the ETC axioms as "functor from 1 to
X" where X is a fixed free variable of identity functor type in CCAF,
interpret "morphism" as "functor from 2 to X" and so on always with
the same free variable X.  Interpreting the ETC axioms in CCAF this
way is not at all treating them in the Hilbert way.

But even take the interpretation corresponding to any one object A of
CCAF.  That amounts to specifying X as A in the parametrized
interpretation.  This interpretation does not deal with "the
collection of objects of A" and "the collection of morphism of A".  It
never refers to any such collections.  It deals with categories
A,1,2,3, and functors among them.

If you want to push this line:

> Every major historical shift in foundations
> of mathematics so far involved a major change of the notion of axiomatic
> method. (I can substantiate the claim if you'll ask.)

Then you would do better to notice the novelty of these parametrized
and single-category interpretations of ETC in CCAF and take this as
the kind of major change that you expect to see.

> AR: I called ETC “formal basis” of BT (“Basic Theory of Categories” in the
> sense of Bill’s 1966’s paper) meaning the two-level structure of BT. BT is ETC
> plus some other axioms. Conceptually the order of introduction of these axioms
> matters. My point (or rather guess) is that BT involves a prototype of a
> new axiomatic method (different from one I described above), which, however,
> doesn’t work in the given form independently.

This different axiomatic method is explicit in CCAF, and does work
independently there.

Specifically what is supposed to "not work" about it?  Is it supposed
to be formally inadequate to interpreting mathematics?  (That is a
non-starter, and even Feferman only made vague hints that it was so
and never tried to fill them in.)   Is it not really comprehensible?
(Bill comprehended it already around 1960, and so do many of us now.
Feferman argues well that he does not comprehend it, but falsely
concludes that no one can.)

best, Colin