categories - Category Theory list
* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-16 17:17 F William Lawvere
From: F William Lawvere @ 2009-12-16 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Stacey, categories

Dear  Andrew
The conceptual definition of lamba ring given by Andre',
(for which a presentation by useful but complicated identities
is  theorem rather than a definition) solves an important one of
a  generic class of problems that I proposed in the article that is
bundled with my thesis in TAC Reprints.

A simple pedagogically convincing example is given by the
following dialogue :
 I have an example of a general category C and a functor U from it to finite sets;
moreover I have a particular object X in C : what information about X
can I find using U ? Well, you could count the points of U(X).Yes but
that is by no means all. The functor U has a group G of all natural
automorphisms, and so U can be lifted across the category of G-sets,
 thus  that number is actually a sum of more refined invariants
indexed by the subgroups of G.

The generic problem (for the doctrine of algebraic theories rather than
for the subdoctrine of permutation representations) considers a
specific assignment of an algebraic theory to any morphism of algebraic
theories (from Andre's example it should be clear which assignment) and asks
for specific calculation (eg a presentation in terms of given presentations,
or indeed any information). The construction involves the natural structure
of a functor that is not representable in general but hope comes from
the  fact that this functor preserves filtered colimits and reflexive coequalizers
and that some examples are representable or otherwise computable.

Bill

On Tue 12/15/09  3:14 PM , Joyal, André joyal.andre@uqam.ca sent:

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-28 10:07   ` Reinhard Boerger
From: Reinhard Boerger @ 2009-12-28 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hello,

I still like to add some remarks. Category theory is one part of
mathematics, and it should be treated not better, but not worse than others.
It looks more important to me that categorical thinking becomes popular in
other areas in mathematics. Some years ago, a functional analyst needed half
an our to prove that homeomorphic Banach spaces have homemorphic duals, a
simple consequence of the fact that all functors preserve isomorphisms.

Another example from my own experience: People, who worked about
orthomodular lattices noticed that they have no tensor product. So they
tried to weaken the notions and ended up with effect algebras, but
unfortunately they did not admit a tensor product either. Su people looked
for other notions. But they had already shown that a tensor product of
effect algebras exists if one admits 0=1; i.e. the tensor product my
collapse. But because they did not admit this, they had to formulate their
result more complicated.

Later I saw that tensor products of orthomodular posets exist if one admits
0=1; the easy proof uses the Adjoint Functor Theorem and does not give much
insight into the structure. It also seems to work for orthomodular lattices.

My preference for orthomodular posets rather than lattices is also inspired
by categorical thinking. The idempotents of an arbitrary ring with 1 form an
orthomodular poset, and this construction yields a functor. This is the
non-commutative analogue to the Boolean algebra of idempotents of an
arbitrary ring. But most people were inspired by quantum dynamics and were
looking for an abstraction for the set of projections of a Hilbert space.
Here joins and meets exist (somehow accidentially) because projections
correspond to closed subspaces. But they are not continuous and have no
physical meaning in general. I think it is often better to look for
functorial notions than to use ad-hoc-abtractions.

Greetings
Reinhard

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-23 15:30 ` Andrew Stacey
From: Andrew Stacey @ 2009-12-23 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I would just like to say thank you to all those who responded to my request
for some ideas for a story to tell on category theory.  I intended to reply to
each one but got swamped by grading exams and didn't get round to it before
the holiday (I still intend to reply but it will have to wait a week now) so
this is a "holding email" just to say that I'm grateful for the ideas and to
apologise for not responding (yet) individually.

God jul og godt nyttår!

Andrew

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-22 16:39 Andree Ehresmann
From: Andree Ehresmann @ 2009-12-22 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Here are some comments on the discussion about category theory:

1. I testify that categories can be fruitfully introduced to
undergraduates. In the late sixties, I followed 3 cohorts of students
from their entrance at the university (just after the Baccalaureat) up
to their graduation. I introduced category theory in the mid of their
first year and thoroughly used it later on in my courses on Algebra,
Topology, Differential Calculus and functional spaces, and Algebraic
Topology. (All these courses have been multigraphed in Amiens.) Since
the university in Amiens was only beginning to develop, there were not
many students, but most of them seemed to enjoy categories and about
10% of those who completed the cycle went on to do research (generally
using categories) and obtained university positions.
However I had to stop my experiment because several of my colleagues
did not appreciate categories:(t was a very bad time for them in
France in the early 70's.

2. Applications of categories begin to be welcomed in the most varied
scientific domains. An example is our general model "Memory Evolutive
Systems" for 'natural' complex autonomous systems, such as biological
or social systems; when we first introduced it in the 90's, people
were somewhat skeptical, but now more people accept it, in particular
cognitive scientists are taking a real interest in its application to
cognitive systems (our model MENS).

3. Thus, though one of the older living "veterans" of the 60's "war",
I am not pessimistic (as John Baez seems to imply). I think my
generation has lost a battle, partially because of too much
precipitation and not always enough diplomacy, but I feel that the
youngsters are winning the war and I'ld try to help them as much as
possible for I have kept all my enthusiasm.

So best wishes to the categories and to all their friends for 2010
Andree

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-15 20:14   ` Joyal, André
From: Joyal, André @ 2009-12-15 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Stacey, categories

@ 2009-12-14 19:52 ` Dusko Pavlovic
From: Dusko Pavlovic @ 2009-12-14 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

i am wondering why is the public image of category theory so important for
us.

i mean, if category theory is a powerful and useful tool, as it is, then
it should be able to take care for itself. bread does not need
advertising.

i have been with categories for many years. i think in categories, and i
used them in each and every one of my research projects, in every piece of
software that i designed, in every paper that i wrote. but sometimes it is
easier to get to the point without spelling out all definitions in full
generality. and without tackling the opprobium.

e.g., i worked on networks, and have papers about trust networks, and
reputation networks, and recommender systems. a network is a weighted
graph, and it composes to some extent, because a friend of a friend is
almost like a friend, but a friend of a friend of a friend etc, six hops
removed --- is probably not a friend. but you can do with networks a lot
of what you can do with categories: make arrow networks, adjoin
colimits... anyway, i defined all that, and mentioned categories, but did
not really advertise them. was that a mistake? maybe it wasn't such a good
work, and i would have done a disservice to category theory by advertising
it in a bad paper.

i have been using categories in my little crypto modules, and in serious
reduction proofs, for more than 5 years (cryptography is a theory of
functions after all!), but i first gave a crypto talk using categories
last week. and this was not a talk to hard-core cryptographers.

i think category theory sometimes suffers from our advertising. even in a
good paper, advertising is advertising. there are places for that, and
there are places where it is better not to do.

i do understand that we need to take care for the public image of our
work. funding depends on that, hiring depends on that. but maybe we should
clearly state that this is a matter of advocacy and of influence, and not
mix it up with Promoting the Truth. i somehow think that the truth can
take care for itself.

but as always, maybe i am wrong.

-- dusko

* re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-13  7:01           ` Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2009-12-13  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Michael Barr wrote:
>  First, I was around all through the 70s (and most
> of the 60s) and I have no idea what categorists did to earn the opprobrium
> described below.

My experience with CT may give some insight here.

When I joined the MIT faculty in 1972 it was already 8 years since I'd
taken Max Kelly's category theory class, and the only bit of it that I
had retained by that time was that categories weren't required to have
an underlying set functor (and I couldn't in 1972 even phrase that much
of my recollection in the language of CT I used just now).

Now skip the next two paragraphs (which are only there to preserve
chronological order) unless you want all the boring details.

In between I spent a year taking mathematics honours (fourth year), in
which Max taught us topology (he had planned to teach us algebraic
topology but realized we weren't prepared for it) and we got many other
courses from John Mack (number theory), T.G. Room (axiomatic geometry),
Bruce Barnes (group theory), etc.  I then spent a year doing physics
honours (a second fourth year, I did maths honours first because I
wanted to be a theoretical physicist and had sensed that without maths
honours the physics honours year would be insufficient grounding for a
theoretical physicist).

But then the next year I noticed that computer science was an
as-yet-untapped gold mine of important yet easily solved problems,
whence my career move from physics into CS.  (A pity in some respects
since I've always been good at solving hard problems once they engage my
interest and the problems in physics had by then become quite hard and
therefore should have been right up my alley.)  So I became a CS grad
student at Sydney then Berkeley then Stanford, and then Don Knuth's
postdoc in 1971-72, and then spent a few months at IBM Yorktown Heights
in a visiting faculty position in 1972.

In 1972 the only person in the whole of 545 Technology Square (a 9-story
building on the "other side of the tracks" from the main body of MIT)
who talked about categories was Mitch Wand.  Mike Fischer was his
advisor.  I lived out Mike's way and commuted to work with him much of
the time, a half hour ride each way, so we got to discuss many things,
but I don't recall category theory ever coming up.  We mostly talked
about algorithms and program verification and programming language
design and group theory and other technical things, along with the
vegetable gardens we were growing in our back yards as a joint project
that also involved Albert Meyer.  We both were totally oblivious to
politics, which never came up.  And it never occurred to either of us
that we should discuss CT.

While still a grad student Mitch gave a graduate course on CT.  I didn't
attend any of it, being rather busy as a junior faculty and having no
occasion to, but I would occasionally hear feedback from those who did.
  The general feeling seemed to be that this was "mathematics made
difficult," a way of obfuscating the obvious.  I had no reason to defend
CT at the time and simply accepted these reports as putting CT in the
same ballpark that Rene Thom's chaos theory was later put by some of its
detractors.

In 1979, finding logic problems becoming more challenging, I
(re)discovered algebra by way of universal algebra.  I learned UA from
Rasiowa and Sikorski, which I found to my surprise I could speed-read
(must have been the excellent Sydney algebra courses), and successfully
applied it to the logic problem I'd previously been stuck on.

In 1983 I realized that category theory was the algebra of functions.  I
tried very very hard to understand Chapter 1 of CWM, which seemed far
more obscure than universal algebra.  Speed-reading that chapter was out
of the question for me.

Eventually I gave up and moved on to Chapter 2 and beyond, and after
that it was just as easy as universal algebra.

----------
So I would say that the opprobrium could well have originated from the
impression that CT was obfuscation, which Chapter 1 of CWM did nothing
to dispel.  Two four-syllable words beginning with the same letter, one
leading to the other.
----------

So what do I think today?  Well, I would rank three related concepts as
being of fundamental but not equal importance, in the following order,
most important first.

1.  2-categories

2.  Dense functors

3.  Natural transformations

The algebra of 2-categories is barely algebra, it is really the
associativity intrinsic to geometry.  If you cut a string, even one with
colored ink marks on it, in two places you can't tell after the fact in
which order the cuts were made.  If you cut a painting by Picasso
vertically then horizontally into four pieces, the same holds even
though the painting has depreciated.  These are respectively
associativity and middle-interchange.  I hardly recognize these as
algebra, they're geometry as far as I'm concerned, but they're the
algebra of 2-categories.  They suck, e pur si muove.

Dense functors are important because they expose what is "natural" about
natural transformations as an instance of 2-cells.  To see how this
works see http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/yon.pdf , "The Yoneda lemma as a
foundational tool for algebra."  I imagine Steve Lack et al have some
equivalent way of describing this viewpoint which I'm still waiting to
hear about (my 1962-1965 classmate Ross Street promised he'd get back to
me on this but that was a while back).  Meanwhile I've received
enthusiastic feedback about it from Ronnie Brown and also a response
from William Boshuk ("very enjoyable pamphlet"), though that's it so far.

I've felt for at least 15 years that the notion of natural
transformation as traditionally defined is a complicated concept.  This
I believe whether one thinks of them as a category theorist or (in their
manifestation as homomorphisms) as an algebraist.  Either way the idea
is subtle.  This subtlety of the concept is why I don't rank it higher.

My ranking makes it ironic that transformations that are called
"natural" should end up third.  But then that's just my ranking, YMMV as
they say.

Vaughan

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-13  3:30       ` Zinovy Diskin
From: Zinovy Diskin @ 2009-12-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joyal, André, categories

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Joyal, André <joyal.andre@uqam.ca> wrote:
> Category theory is a powerful mathematical language.
> It is extremely good for organising, unifying and suggesting new directions of research.

one important point is missing: design and design patterns. Design
from scratch is for geniuses while ordinary people design by adapting
and developing preexisting patterns. Category theory created a
powerful system of design patterns for math and beyond (computer
science, physics, engineering). It seems it changed the very
nature of mathematical design.

Z.

> It is probably the most important mathematical developpement of the 20th century.
>
> But we cant say that publically.
>
> André Joyal

* RE:  A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-13  3:17             ` Wojtowicz, Ralph
From: Wojtowicz, Ralph @ 2009-12-13  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Jim Stasheff wrote:
> we need to build that bridge

The paper linked below is an example of a "success story" that I have recently described to sponsors who want to know what use category theory has been to other parts of mathematics.  In my opinion, the fact that category theory provided not only new insights into semantics of full first-order S4 modal logic but also semantics of higher-order S4 helps build the bridge mentioned above.
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/awodey/preprints/FoS4.phil.pdf

One sponsor had his own example (see the link below which he brought to my attention) which has generated a lot of interest among my colleagues at work since "network analysis" is one of our primary business areas.
http://comptop.stanford.edu/preprints/clust-functorial.pdf

I am still working through the following but think it also contributes to the bridge.
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/awodey/preprints/homotopy.pdf

Ralph Wojtowicz
Metron, Inc.
1818 Library Street, Suite 600
Reston, VA  20190
www.metsci.com

* Re: A well kept secret
                           ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-12 19:00         ` Zinovy Diskin
From: Zinovy Diskin @ 2009-12-12 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Taylor, categories list

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Paul Taylor <pt09@paultaylor.eu> wrote:

> The fact is that category theory alienated the rest of the mathematical
> world.   Since the damage had been done in the 1970s, well before my
> time,
> I have never managed to work out how this happenned, or who was
> responsible.

Had it been really  *done*?  It may be just in "the nature of things"
when a community A provides abstract models for community B. Something
similar appears in relations between physicists and mathematicians, or
between physicists/computer scientists and engineers.

When a mathematician is building a math model for some physical
theory, his main driving force is a question "What do they *really*
do?"  As the work is progressing, the question develops into a thesis
"they don't actually understand what they do", and with this attitude,
the mathematician finally brings something structurally neat to
physicists. In a typical good case, the reaction would be like Manin
recently formulated in his interview "we always knew that but thank
you for attention". In a bad case, ... you know.

Isn't it similar to the math vs.category theory case?  For some people
structural clarity and elegance is a matter of life and death, for
others it's a dispensable luxury (it's a rephrasing of Edsger Dijkstra
if I remember right).

zd

* re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-12 15:57     ` jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2009-12-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Spivak, categories

> this stuff is interesting and
> worthwhile to us.
>
> but that doesn't imply

> category theory is probably the most important
> mathematical developpement of the 20th century.

we need to build that bridge

jim

* re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-12  0:13           ` jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2009-12-12  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, categories

Michael Barr wrote:
> There are several comments I could make to this posting, but I will
> confine myself to two.  First, I was around all through the 70s (and most
> of the 60s) and I have no idea what categorists did to earn the
> opprobrium
> described below.

I have my suspicions as to what categorists did to earn the opprobrium
described below.

The high density of new vocabulary in many research papers.

Not enough published at the level of Saunders Cats for teh Working
mathematician

Too many papers doing category theory for its own sake

apologies ahead of time to anyone whose ox is being gored

jim

* Re: A well kept secret
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-11  8:36         ` Greg Meredith
From: Greg Meredith @ 2009-12-11  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Taylor, categories

Dear Paul,

Two more examples: when is some Australian going to write

"2-categories for the working categorist"?

Where is the textbook on universal algebra based on monads?

Absolutely. The latter would so greatly simplify a number of
cross-disciplinary conversations.

Best wishes,

--greg

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Paul Taylor <pt09@paultaylor.eu> wrote:

> I'm not too sure what the context was, but Andre' Joyal said on 7
> December,
>

> > Category theory is a powerful mathematical language.  It is extremely
> good
> > for organising, unifying and suggesting new directions of research.
>
> I completely agree.
>

> > It is probably the most important mathematical developpement of
> > the 20th century.
>
> It is too early to tell.
>
> [Comment attributed to Zhou Enlai (Chinese Communist leader 1949-76)
> when asked his opinion of the French Revolution.]

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-11  6:51         ` Michael Fourman
From: Michael Fourman @ 2009-12-11  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Taylor, categories

On 10 Dec 2009, at 14:49, Paul Taylor wrote:

>    In this, I stated without proof that the
> evaluation map   Sigma^X x X --> Sigma   is continuous (when the
> topology Sigma^X is itself given the Scott topology)   iff  X is locally
> compact,  and in this case Sigma^X is itself locally compact and
> obeys the adjunction   Yx(-) -| Sigma^(-).    The referee quite
> reasonably asked for a reference to a proof, but, so far as I can
> gather, no such proof exists in the literature.

Not in the compendium?

Professor Michael Fourman FBCS CITP
Informatics Forum
10 Crichton Street
Edinburgh
EH8 9AB
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mfourman/
For diary appointments contact :
mdunlop2(at)ed-dot-ac-dot-uk
+44 131 650 2690

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-11  1:46         ` Tom Leinster
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom Leinster @ 2009-12-11  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Taylor, categories

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Paul Taylor wrote:

> Two more examples: when is some Australian going to write
> "2-categories for the working categorist"?

This seems like a good candidate:

Stephen Lack, "A 2-categories companion"

http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0702535 (73 pages)

There's also Kelly and Street's excellent "Review of the elements of
2-categories" (1974), but doubtless you know about that, and I guess it's
not as comprehensive as what you're envisaging.

Best wishes,
Tom

* re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-11  1:44         ` Michael Barr
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Barr @ 2009-12-11  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Taylor, categories

There are several comments I could make to this posting, but I will
confine myself to two.  First, I was around all through the 70s (and most
of the 60s) and I have no idea what categorists did to earn the opprobrium
described below.  A colleague of mine commented one day maybe 25 years
ago, that it seemed in the 60s that category theory would be important,
but it hasn't turned out that way.  I am not sure what didn't turn out
that way, but that seemed to have been the general opinion.

Second, a couple of papers by Linton and Manes in the Zurich Triples Book
(LNM #80) makes very explicit the connection between triples and universal
algebraic theories.  Although doubtless out of print, a dozen of us put a
lot of effort into retyping it in tex and republishing it as a TAC
reprint.  If someone wants to go ahead and replace every instance of
"triple" by "monad" go ahead.  Also Beck's tripleableness theorem is in
Beck's thesis, another TAC reprint also retyped by volunteers.

Incidentally (although Paul is well aware of this) every paper of mine
later than 1985 and every earlier paper of which I had an electronic
trace, is available on my personal ftp site.  Also incidentally my wife
and I retyped Grothendieck's Tohoku paper and are waiting only for
proof-reading by the Van Osdols to post it (hint, hint, since I know Don
reads this group).

Michael

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Paul Taylor wrote:

> I'm not too sure what the context was, but Andre' Joyal said on 7
> December,
>
>>  Category theory is a powerful mathematical language.  It is extremely
> good
>>  for organising, unifying and suggesting new directions of research.
>
> I completely agree.
>
>>  It is probably the most important mathematical developpement of
>>  the 20th century.
>
> It is too early to tell.
>
> [Comment attributed to Zhou Enlai (Chinese Communist leader 1949-76)
> when asked his opinion of the French Revolution.]
>
>>  But we cant say that publically.
>
> I think we should be wary of slapping ourselves on the back too much.
>
> The fact is that category theory alienated the rest of the mathematical
> world.   Since the damage had been done in the 1970s, well before my
> time,
> I have never managed to work out how this happenned, or who was
> responsible.
>
> Probably it was the result of haughty claims about being the "most
> important mathematical development",  and about being the foundations
> of mathematics before any serious technical work was done to justify
> this.
> Of course the ignorance and arrogance of mathematicians outside our
> subject
> had a lot to do with it too.

* A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-10 14:49       ` Paul Taylor
                           ` (4 more replies)
From: Paul Taylor @ 2009-12-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list, joyal.andre

I'm not too sure what the context was, but Andre' Joyal said on 7
December,

 > Category theory is a powerful mathematical language.  It is extremely
good
 > for organising, unifying and suggesting new directions of research.

I completely agree.

 > It is probably the most important mathematical developpement of
 > the 20th century.

It is too early to tell.

[Comment attributed to Zhou Enlai (Chinese Communist leader 1949-76)
when asked his opinion of the French Revolution.]

 > But we cant say that publically.

I think we should be wary of slapping ourselves on the back too much.

The fact is that category theory alienated the rest of the mathematical
world.   Since the damage had been done in the 1970s, well before my
time,
I have never managed to work out how this happenned, or who was
responsible.

Probably it was the result of haughty claims about being the "most
important mathematical development",  and about being the foundations
of mathematics before any serious technical work was done to justify
this.
Of course the ignorance and arrogance of mathematicians outside our
subject
had a lot to do with it too.

Indeed, I believe that there is nothing wrong with pre-1980 category
theory that cannot be attributed to the fact that it was done by pure
mathematicians,  and nor is there anything wrong with the post-1980
subject that is not the result of its having been done by computer
scientists.

However,  discussion on that is not going to get us very far.  What is
more relevant and able to be fixed is the point in Andre's title, that
category theory is a
       WELL KEPT SECRET.

Secrecy, like charity, begins at home.   For example, the notion of
       ARITHMETIC UNIVERSE
was one of the most insightful developments of 1970s categorical logic.

It captures exactly what is taught as "discrete mathematics" to
computer science students (and is relevant to combinatorial
mathematics),
namely products, equalisers, stable disjoint sums, stable effective
quotients of equivalence relations and FINITE powersets.  It is the
least structure that is capable of constructing the free internal gadget
of the same kind,  so the original idea was to prove Godel's
incompleteness
theorem categorically.

Recently I was looking though the archives of the "Foundations of
Mathematics" (FOM) mailing list at   cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/
and, amongst all of the personal abuse directed at Colin McLarty and
Steve Awodey, came across an interesting argument against category
theory, namely that the notion of elementary topos was merely an
aping of the axioms of set theory.   Arithmetic universes answer that
objection extremely well.

The work on arithmetic universes was done THIRTY SIX YEARS AGO, and
many people since then have been nagging the author to write it up,
indeed I myself have been doing so for half of that time now.

I don't want anybody to read this as a personal attack -- it is
simply an example of a general phenomenon, albeit an important example
because of the importance of the material.   Anybody in my generation
or younger can cite lots of examples of "well known"  "folklore"
results that were supposedly discovered in the 1970s but have never
been written up.   The worst thing is that any younger person who
is so impertinent as to write out a proof of one of these results
has their paper rejected.

To give another example, the theory of continuous lattices is crucial
as background for my work on Abstract Stone Duality.   I asked exactly
the people who should have written it whether there was an introduction
to continuous lattices suitable for analysts.   There isn't, so
I had to write my own.   In this, I stated without proof that the
evaluation map   Sigma^X x X --> Sigma   is continuous (when the
topology Sigma^X is itself given the Scott topology)   iff  X is locally
compact,  and in this case Sigma^X is itself locally compact and
obeys the adjunction   Yx(-) -| Sigma^(-).    The referee quite
reasonably asked for a reference to a proof, but, so far as I can
gather, no such proof exists in the literature.

Two more examples: when is some Australian going to write
"2-categories for the working categorist"?
Where is the textbook on universal algebra based on monads?

So, to answer Andre's question about why category theory is such a well
kept secret -- it is because category theorists KEEP it as a secret.

Each of us can help to leak this secret by doing two things:

PUBLISH (= make freely available on the Web) all of the papers that
you PRIVATISED by handing them over to commercial journals.

WRITE textbook or encyclopedia accounts of your work for resources
like the "n-cat lab",   ncatlab.org/nlab/show/HomePage

Paul Taylor

* re: A well kept secret
       [not found]   ` <7b998a320912090812x60551840r641fe9feb75efaee@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-12-09 17:02     ` Robert Seely
From: Robert Seely @ 2009-12-09 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, categories

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh wrote:

> I have read that  Dirac had no empathy, not even for his family. I think the
> story goes the same  for many other famous mathematicians/scientists. Why is
> it being so promoted that being a good mathematician and a good human being
> is impossible? Is it really true?

Certainly Farmelo's book gives that impression - Dirac wasn't exactly
warm and cuddly.  But I'd say that from my experience with
mathematicians, there's no reason to assert that one cannot be both a
good mathematician and a good human being - but maybe that's just
because most mathematicians I know are category theorists ...

... (there are exceptions, of course) ...

-= rags =-

> -Mehrnoosh
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Robert Seely <rags@math.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
>> Well, we might not say that, but Voevodsky did.  Link on the triples
>> page: http://www.math.mcgill.ca/triples/  (or directly
>> http://claymath.msri.org/voevodsky2002.mov) where he says "Categories:
>> one of the most important ideas of 20th century mathematics".
>>
>> BTW - the Farmelo book, The Strangest Man, is one I recommend to my
>> students - it's well worth looking at.  But one thing that struck me
>> was how *little* Farmelo plays the "strange man" theme - Dirac was
>> indeed strange, but that's not what makes him worth reading about, nor
>> was it what made him a great theoretician.  Farmelo doesn't (IMO) make
>> the same mistake so many documentary producers do ...
>>
>> -= rags =-

* re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-09 16:12     ` Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh
From: Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh @ 2009-12-09 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Seely, categories

--
Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh
EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-09 14:18         ` Charles Wells
From: Charles Wells @ 2009-12-09 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: catbb

To add to Steve Vickers' remarks:  Category theory is definitely out
of the closet.  A substantial number of the questions on MathOverflow
involve categorical concepts and many of them are questions about
category theory itself, not merely applications.  The n-category café
blog and its ancillary n-labs has lots of category stuff, both
applications to physics and about category theory itself.

Charles Wells

--
professional website: http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/wells/home.html
blog: http://sixwingedseraph.wordpress.com/

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-08 17:31       ` Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2009-12-08 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André, categories

Dear Andre,

I think category theorists have done an excellent job at publicizing the
secret. I am very much struck at category meetings what a variety of
backgrounds the participants come from, lots from computer science of
course, and now increasingly many physicists. It seems to me this is
exactly because category theory has the qualities you describe. It
enables the pure category theorists, the computer scientists, the
physicists to meet and talk together with a high degree of mutual
understanding.

I don't think of myself as a pure category theorist, but I can't imagine
trying to do what I do without it.

All the best,

Steve.

Joyal wrote:
> Category theory is a powerful mathematical language.
> It is extremely good for organising, unifying and suggesting new directions of research.
> It is probably the most important mathematical developpement of the 20th century.
>
> But we cant say that publically.
>
> André Joyal

* re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-08  5:23   ` Robert Seely
       [not found]   ` <7b998a320912090812x60551840r641fe9feb75efaee@mail.gmail.com>
From: Robert Seely @ 2009-12-08  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joyal, André, categories

Well, we might not say that, but Voevodsky did.  Link on the triples
page: http://www.math.mcgill.ca/triples/  (or directly
http://claymath.msri.org/voevodsky2002.mov) where he says "Categories:
one of the most important ideas of 20th century mathematics".

BTW - the Farmelo book, The Strangest Man, is one I recommend to my
students - it's well worth looking at.  But one thing that struck me
was how *little* Farmelo plays the "strange man" theme - Dirac was
indeed strange, but that's not what makes him worth reading about, nor
was it what made him a great theoretician.  Farmelo doesn't (IMO) make
the same mistake so many documentary producers do ...

-= rags =-

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Joyal, André wrote:

> Category theory is a powerful mathematical language.
> It is extremely good for organising, unifying and suggesting new directions of research.
> It is probably the most important mathematical developpement of the 20th century.
>
> But we cant say that publically.
>
> André Joyal

* re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-08  4:09   ` David Spivak
       [not found]   ` <7b998a320912090812x60551840r641fe9feb75efaee@mail.gmail.com>
From: David Spivak @ 2009-12-08  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joyal, André, categories

I think we should say it publicly.  Gays get to have gay pride, why
shouldn't categorists get to have category-theory pride?  Perhaps
we've just been in the closet too long.  I think it's the right thing
to do to explain to people that this stuff is interesting and
worthwhile to us.

Worst of all would be to let the fear of shame keep us from saying
what we hold as true.  If I consider category theory to be good,
beautiful, valid math, then I shouldn't be shy about saying as much.
If someone else doesn't consider it to be "real math," he or she can
challenge me -- I'm up for that discussion.  The worst they can do is
not give me a job, but this is not an issue because I don't belong at
a place that doesn't respect category theory.

Andre is right -- category theory is probably the most important
mathematical developpement of the 20th century.

David

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Joyal, André <joyal.andre@uqam.ca> wrote:
> Category theory is a powerful mathematical language.
> It is extremely good for organising, unifying and suggesting new directions of research.
> It is probably the most important mathematical developpement of the 20th century.
>
> But we cant say that publically.
>
> André Joyal

* A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-07 14:13     ` Joyal, André