categories - Category Theory list
* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-22 16:39 Andree Ehresmann
From: Andree Ehresmann @ 2009-12-22 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Here are some comments on the discussion about category theory:

1. I testify that categories can be fruitfully introduced to
undergraduates. In the late sixties, I followed 3 cohorts of students
from their entrance at the university (just after the Baccalaureat) up
to their graduation. I introduced category theory in the mid of their
first year and thoroughly used it later on in my courses on Algebra,
Topology, Differential Calculus and functional spaces, and Algebraic
Topology. (All these courses have been multigraphed in Amiens.) Since
the university in Amiens was only beginning to develop, there were not
many students, but most of them seemed to enjoy categories and about
10% of those who completed the cycle went on to do research (generally
using categories) and obtained university positions.
However I had to stop my experiment because several of my colleagues
did not appreciate categories:(t was a very bad time for them in
France in the early 70's.

2. Applications of categories begin to be welcomed in the most varied
scientific domains. An example is our general model "Memory Evolutive
Systems" for 'natural' complex autonomous systems, such as biological
or social systems; when we first introduced it in the 90's, people
were somewhat skeptical, but now more people accept it, in particular
cognitive scientists are taking a real interest in its application to
cognitive systems (our model MENS).

3. Thus, though one of the older living "veterans" of the 60's "war",
I am not pessimistic (as John Baez seems to imply). I think my
generation has lost a battle, partially because of too much
precipitation and not always enough diplomacy, but I feel that the
youngsters are winning the war and I'ld try to help them as much as
possible for I have kept all my enthusiasm.

So best wishes to the categories and to all their friends for 2010
Andree

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-16 17:17 F William Lawvere
From: F William Lawvere @ 2009-12-16 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Stacey, categories

Dear  Andrew
The conceptual definition of lamba ring given by Andre',
(for which a presentation by useful but complicated identities
is  theorem rather than a definition) solves an important one of
a  generic class of problems that I proposed in the article that is
bundled with my thesis in TAC Reprints.

A simple pedagogically convincing example is given by the
following dialogue :
 I have an example of a general category C and a functor U from it to finite sets;
moreover I have a particular object X in C : what information about X
can I find using U ? Well, you could count the points of U(X).Yes but
that is by no means all. The functor U has a group G of all natural
automorphisms, and so U can be lifted across the category of G-sets,
 thus  that number is actually a sum of more refined invariants
indexed by the subgroups of G.

The generic problem (for the doctrine of algebraic theories rather than
for the subdoctrine of permutation representations) considers a
specific assignment of an algebraic theory to any morphism of algebraic
theories (from Andre's example it should be clear which assignment) and asks
for specific calculation (eg a presentation in terms of given presentations,
or indeed any information). The construction involves the natural structure
of a functor that is not representable in general but hope comes from
the  fact that this functor preserves filtered colimits and reflexive coequalizers
and that some examples are representable or otherwise computable.

Bill

On Tue 12/15/09  3:14 PM , Joyal, André joyal.andre@uqam.ca sent:
> Dear Andrew,
>
> You wrote
>
> >Let me make these remarks a little more concrete
> with a request (or>a challenge if you prefer).  In my department,
> the colloquium is called>"Mathematical Pearls" (gosh, I actually
> wrote "Perls" first time round; I've>been writing too many scripts lately!).  I'm
> giving this talk in January.  My>original plan was to say something nice and
> differential, with lots of fun>pictures of manifolds deforming or knots
> unknotting, or something like that.>However, the discussion here has set me to
> thinking about saying something>instead about category theory.  It is a pearl of
> mathematics, it does have>a certain beauty, there's certainly a lot that
> can be said, even to a fairly>applied audience as we tend to have here (it is
> the Norwegian university of>Science and Technology, after all), even without
> talking about programming>(about which I know nothing).
>
> >But for such a talk, I need a story.  I don't
> mean a historical one (I'm not>much of a mathematical historian anyway), I mean
> a mathematical one.  I want>some simple problem that category theory solves
> in an elegant fashion.  It>would be nice if there was one that used category
> theory in a surprising way;>beyond the idea that categories are places in
> which things happen (so perhaps>about small categories rather than large
> ones).
> A colloquium is a good place for expressing wild ideas.
> But they must be related to something everyone can understand and
> touch.I suggest you talk about "The field with one element" if you
> think the subject can fit your audience.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_with_one_element
> Many things in this subject are very speculative
> but there are also a few concrete developpements.
> One is the algebraic geometry "under SpecZ" of Toen and
> Vaquié.Another due to Borger is using lambda-rings.
> What is a lambda-ring?
> In their book "Riemann-Roch-Algebra" Fulton and Lang define a
> lambda-ringto be a pre-lambda-ring satisfying two complicated identities [(1.4) and
> (1.5)][Beware that F&L are using an old terminology: they call a lambda-ring
> a "special lambda-ring"and they call a pre-lambda-ring a "lambda-ring"]
> The notion of lambda-ring (ie of "special lambda-ring" in the
> terminology of F&L)can be defined in a natural way if we use category theory.
> Let Z[]:CMon ---> CRing be the functor which associates to a commutative
> monoid M the ring Z[M] freely generated by M (it is the left adjoint to the forgetful
> functor in theopposite direction). If we compose the functot Z[] with the forgetful
> functor U:CRing --->Setwe obtain a functor V:CMon --->Set. The algebraic theory of lambda-rings
> can be defined to be the theory of natural operations on the functor V.
> The total lambda operation V(M)--->V(M)[[t]] is the group homomorphism
> Z[M]--->1+tZ[M][[t]] which takes an element x\in M to the power series 1+tx.

> [...]

* categorical "varieties of algebras" (fwd)
@ 2009-12-13 21:46 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2009-12-13 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list, chirvasitua

I am forwarding this to the categories list, where I am sure there will be
many answers, but I have never myself delved into these interesting
questions.  Please be sure to copy your answers to him (although he should
probably subscribe to the list).

--M

From: Ronnie Brown @ 2009-12-09  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

What seems reasonable to do is analysis, namely what is behind the
success of category theory and how is this success  related to the
progress of mathematics.
Which implies asking questions of mathematics, some of which have been
aired in this discussion list. In this way, it should be possible to
avoid seeming partisan, but to ask serious questions, which should help
to steer directions, or suggest new ones. Of course lots of great maths
does not arise in this way, but by following one's nose, but that does
not mean that such analysis of direction is unhelpful.

I know some argue that this excursion into what might be called the
theory of knowledge, or into methodology,  seems unnecessary to some. In
reply I sometimes point to remarks of Einstein on my web site
www.bangor.ac.uk/r.brown/einst.html
or more mundanely retort that normal activities normally require some
meta discussion: if you want to go on a holiday, you do some planning,
you don't just rush to the station and buy some tickets. I develop this
theme in relation to the teaching of mathematics in an article
What should be the output of mathematical education?
on my popularisation and teaching page.

I gave a talk to school children on `How mathematics gets into knots' in
the 1980s, and a teacher came up to me afterwards and said: `That is the
first time in my mathematical career that anyone has used the word
`analogy' in relation to mathematics.' Yet abstraction is about analogy,
and very powerful it is too. This was part of the motivation behind the
article
146. (with T. Porter) `Category Theory: an abstract setting for analogy
and comparison', In: What is Category Theory? Advanced Studies in
Mathematics and Logic, Polimetrica Publisher, Italy, (2006) 257-274. pdf

There is also interest in the question of how category theory comes to
be successful, and more successful than, say,  the theory of monoids.
This seems connected with the underlying geometric structure being a
directed graph, i.e. allowing a `geography of interaction'. A category
is also a partial algebraic structure, with domain of definition of the
operation defined by a geometric condition. Is this enough to explain
the success?

It is worth noting that the article
Atiyah, Michael, Mathematics in the 20th century, Bull. London Math.
Soc., {34},  {2002}, 1--15,
suggests that important trends in the 20th century were:
                              higher dimensions, commutative to non
commutative, local-to-global, and the unification of mathematics,
but does not include the words `category' or `groupoid', let alone
`higher dimensional algebra'!

This kind of analysis needs to be presented to other scientists, and to
the public, not only to mathematicians. There is a hunger for knowing
what mathematics is really up to, in common language as far as possible,
what new concepts, ideas, etc., and not just `we have solved Fermat's
last theorem'.

If your analysis of what category theory should do suggests some gaps,
then that is an opportunity for work!

Good luck

Ronnie Brown

Joyal wrote:

Category theory is a powerful mathematical language.
It is extremely good for organising, unifying and suggesting new directions of research.
It is probably the most important mathematical developpement of the 20th century.

But we cant say that publically.

André Joyal

* Dangerous knowledge
@ 2009-11-29 23:31 Joyal, André
From: Joyal, André @ 2009-11-29 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

I wonder if you have seen the BBC "documentary" called "Dangerous knowledge"?
It is divided in ten parts:

1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-zNRNcF90&feature=related

2)