categories - Category Theory list
From: Michael Shulman <shulman@uchicago.edu>
To: John Baez <john.c.baez@gmail.com>
Subject: re: the definition of "evil"
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:14:32 -0600	[thread overview]

It looks to me like there are (at least) two different ideas of "evil"
floating around.

1. A property or structure (on objects of a 2-category) is "non-evil" if
it can be transported along equivalences.

This is clearly a property of a forgetful 2-functor, which I agree that
it makes the most sense to formulated as a lifting property for entire
(adjoint) equivalences, including both functors and the unit and counit.
 (I'm surprised that Peter didn't require (F,G,e,h) and (F',G',e',h') to
be *adjoint* equivalences in his definition; that seems to me likely to
be the more correct notion.)  Thus, whether a given structure is "evil"
in this sense depends on what you are forgetting down to.  Dagger
structure is evil as structure on a category, but it is not evil as
structure on a "category equipped with a distinguished subgroupoid."
(Of course, a distinguished subgroupoid is evil as structure on a category.)

I also think that this notion must necessarily be "2-evil" in the way
that makes John sad, for anything at all is always "transportable along
an equivalence up to equivalence"!  In other words, if we are serious
about avoiding evil, even at a higher-categorical level, then we
shouldn't even be talking about evil in the first place.  (-:

(Of course, that also suggests that we probably can't construct, by
purely non-2-evil (e.g. bicategorical) means, the 2-category of dagger
categories from the 2-category of categories.  But we can construct
something pretty close, e.g. if we weaken "distinguished subgroupoid" to
"faithful functor with groupoidal domain.")

2. A categorical structure is "evil" if it involves talking about
equality of objects.

For this sense, one has to be careful, because lots of notions in
category theory involve equality of objects.  In order to compose two
morphisms f:A-->B and g:B-->C one has to know that the target of f is
*equal* to the source of g.  Likewise, to say that f:A-->B is an
isomorphism, one has to say that there is an inverse g:B-->A whose
source and target are *equal* to the target and source of f,
respectively.  However, as Toby says, there is a precise way to say that
something is "not evil" in this sense while still admitting all of these
"natural" constructions.  Namely, we work in a dependent type theory
with a type Ob of objects, and for each pair of objects x,y a dependent
type Hom(x,y) of arrows, and stipulate that our theory contains an
equality predicate only for the types Hom(x,y) and not for Ob.
(Makkai's FOLDS, which Toby mentioned, is a generalization of this
appropriate for higher-categorical structures.)

The point is that specifying the source and target of an arrow should
not be thought of as "talking about equality of objects," but rather as
a *typing assertion*.  What is forbidden is rather asking whether two
already *given* objects are equal, not introducing an arrow whose source
and target are ("equal to") some pair of already given objects.  The
notion of "dagger category" can be formulated in this dependently-typed
language, as Toby has said, so it is *not* evil in this sense.  This is
related to the observation that dagger-categories are still
"implementation-independent" relative to membership-based set theory,
e.g. for the dagger-structure on Hilb it doesn't matter whether you
define the real numbers as Cauchy sequences or Dedekind cuts.

The relationship between these two notions is not immediately obvious to
me.  Clearly evil (1) does not imply evil (2), because of the example of
dagger-categories.  Does evil (2) imply evil (1)?

Best,
Mike