categories - Category Theory list
From: Richard Garner <rhgg2@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: equality is beautiful
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 02:26:17 +0000 (GMT)	[thread overview]

Dear André

> Many people seem to distrust the equality
> relation between the objects of a (large) category.
> Is this a philosophical conundrum or a mathematical problem?
>
> Can we define a notion of (large) category without supposing
> that its (large) set of objects has a diagonal?

Yes, this is precisely what one does in formalising category
theory in an (intensional) dependent type theory. (Mike
Shulman has alluded to this in a previous message to this
list.)

Since in such a type theory one does not have quotients of
equivalence relations, one typically works not with raw types
but with setoids (=types equipped with an equivalence
relation in the internal logic).

The category of such setoids is well behaved---at least an
LCC pretopos---but the notion of internal category in this
pretopos is generally not what one is interested in.

Instead one takes a category internal to the type theory to
be given by a type of objects O, together with an OxO indexed
family of hom-setoids O(x,y), composition and identities
which are maps of setoids, and associativity and unitality
witnessed by elements of the hom-setoid equality. In this
setting, we may not talk of equality of objects (since O is
not a setoid but only a type) but may talk of the equality of
any pair of parallel arrows.

This notion is due to Peter Aczel and there is a fairly
extensive development of it in the proof assistant Coq by
Gérard Huet and Amokrane Saïbi. Some consequences of the
definition are, e.g., that the collection of all small
categories does no longer forms a category, but only a
bicategory (since one cannot speak of equality of functors,
since this would require equality of objects in the
codomain). Some work on this has been done by Olov Wilander.

Since the category of sets is a model of extensional, and so
also intensional, type theory, one may interpret what the
above means in this context to obtain, within a classical (or
at least impredicative) metatheory, a notion of category
meeting your requirements. In fact such non-standard
categories may be seen as special kinds of tricategory (in
the usual sense).

Indeed, in the set-based model of type theory, a setoid is
given by a set X; for each pair of elements x,y in X, a
further set X(x,y); and arrows of composition X(y,z) x
X(x,y)-->X(x,z), inverse X(x,y)-->X(y,x) and identity
1-->X(x,x) subject to no axioms. But this is precisely to
give a bigroupoid which is locally chaotic, in the sense that
between any two parallel 1-cells, there is a unique 2-cell.
[From a constructive perspective, not every such bigroupoid
would be "OK". The constructively valid ones would be the
cofibrant ones, since these may be inductively generated.]

From this it follows without difficulty that a category in
the constructive sense is precisely a tricategory (in the
sense of Gordon-Power-Street) whose every hom-bicategory is a
locally chaotic bigroupoid.

The use of these non-standard categories is pertinent with
regard to Bill Lawvere's comments on the distinction between
presentations and the things (theories) that they present.
There is a model structure on the category FPCat of small
categories with chosen finite products and strict
product-preserving maps whose cofibrant objects are, up to
retracts, the (many-sorted) Lawvere theories. One may define,
in a similar way, a category FPCat' whose objects are
non-standard categories with finite products, and whose
morphisms are strict structure-preserving maps: and on this
there is a model structure (or at least the
cofibration-trivial fibration half of a model structure)
whose cofibrant objects are "equational presentations of
Lawvere theories": one has not only the sorts, and the
generating operations, but also the generating equalities
between composite operations. There is an adjunction between
FPCat and FPCat' which is the left-hand of the two
adjunctions described by Bill.

Richard