categories - Category Theory list
From: Ronnie Brown <ronnie.profbrown@btinternet.com>
To: William Messing <messing@math.umn.edu>
Cc: André <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>,
	"Graham White" <graham@eecs.qmul.ac.uk>,
	categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Explanations
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:05:21 +0100	[thread overview]

I put it in an email to Jean-Pierre Marquis that a proof is conducted in
a conceptual landscape: an analogy is that to describe the way to the
station we may say: go right, then left and turn right again at the
first traffic light. We do not describe the cracks in the pavement; but
we might say: beware of the road works.

Constructing (finding?) landscapes was Grothendieck's amazing
contribution, as suggested by Bill's comments.

I am told that computer assisted proofs have had some success, for
example in Boolean algebra (every Robbins algebra is Boolean.): we can
see that a computer can find its way through a maze, and analogous
things should be useful in mathematics generally. The problem seems to
be that the computer needs a way of prescribing the appropriate
conceptual landscape, analogously to the way we do mathematics, and
there is here a need for programming languages  which can manage the
construction of the variety of hedges in the appropriate high level
maze!  (see Bill's comments).  Even at a given level, it is easy to give
problems which are too hard to do by hand: I gave a course at Bangor in
which one of the exercises was to find a polynomial in x,y over the
reals which had at least 5 critical points, to classify them, and to
produce an illustration of the surface (using Grobner basis methods in
Maple).

There is also an aesthetic element: what do we mean by a good proof? My
own route to groupoids (and then higher groupoids), came about because I
was trying to write a book on topology in the 1960s including the
fundamental group and got fed up with having to get the fundamental
group of the circle by an entirely different method, which really needed
a development of its own.

Raoul Bott said that Grothendieck was amazing in that he was prepared to
work very hard to make things tautological: this was also by playing
with concepts and producing remarkable things. (I overheard this at the
1958 ICM in Edinburgh.)

But Grothendieck wrote to me saying that
"Throughout my whole life as a mathematician, the possibility of making
explicit, elegant computations has always come out by itself, as a
byproduct of a thorough conceptual understanding of what was going on. "

Ronnie