categories - Category Theory list
From: Ross Street <ross.street@mq.edu.au>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Enriched adjoint functor theorem?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 21:56:17 +0200	[thread overview]

By Yoneda, what you are asking for is an isomorphism

x@(a@b) =3D~ (x@a)@b

since

V(x,[a@b,c]) =3D~ V(x@(a@b), c)

and

V(x,[a,[b,c]]) =3D~ V((x@a)@b,c).

In general, I see no way around proving a certain associativity constraint i=
nvertible.

Monoidal categories give promonoidal categories via p(a,b;c) =3D V(a@b,c).
On the other hand, closed categories almost give promonoidal categories via p=
(a,b;c) =3D V(a,[b,c]) except that the associativity constraint may not be i=
nvertible.

Ross

Begin forwarded message: