categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Enriched adjoint functor theorem?
@ 2011-05-23 19:56 Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2011-05-23 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

By Yoneda, what you are asking for is an isomorphism

x@(a@b) =3D~ (x@a)@b

since

V(x,[a@b,c]) =3D~ V(x@(a@b), c)

and

V(x,[a,[b,c]]) =3D~ V((x@a)@b,c).

In general, I see no way around proving a certain associativity constraint i=
nvertible.

Monoidal categories give promonoidal categories via p(a,b;c) =3D V(a@b,c).
On the other hand, closed categories almost give promonoidal categories via p=
(a,b;c) =3D V(a,[b,c]) except that the associativity constraint may not be i=
nvertible.

Ross

Begin forwarded message:

@ 2011-05-23 20:23 Gabor Lukacs
From: Gabor Lukacs @ 2011-05-23 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Street; +Cc: categories

Hi Ross,

On Mon, 23 May 2011, Ross Street wrote:

> By Yoneda, what you are asking for is an isomorphism
>
> x@(a@b) =~ (x@a)@b

You are quite right. The reason that I prefer to seek

[a,[b,c]] =~ [a@b,c]

is because Kelly showed in "Tensor Products in Categories" that the latter
implies associativity, as well as coherence (Theorem 11).

While I understand the structure of [-,-] very well (and for example, I
was able to show that [a,[b,c]] =~ [b,[a,c]]), I do not know much about
the structure of a@b, and I expect its structure to be extremely
complicated.

> In general, I see no way around proving a certain associativity
> constraint invertible.

My question could be rephased as: Is there an extra condition on [-,-],
which can be expressed only using [-,-], that will imply associativity of @ ?

Of course, the alternative way of phrasing this was to seek a
left-V-adjoint for [a,-]. That was the starting point for my question.

Best,
Gabi

* Re: Enriched adjoint functor theorem?
@ 2011-05-23  8:13 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-05-23  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

As I recall, tho' it's a fallible memory by now 4 decades or more old,
the enrichedness of the left adjoint in an adjunction that starts with
an enriched functor in the first place follows automatically in the event
that V's underlying-set functor is faithful, i.e., that the unit object
for the internal hom-functor [-,-] is a generator.

Seems to me I probably have that in an old SLNM proceedings volume -- not
# 80, I'd think, but maybe # 99, or not much later.

HTH, and that I'm not mistaken, -- Fred

@ 2011-05-23  2:51 Gabor Lukacs