categories - Category Theory list
* RE: stacks (was: size_question_encore)
       [not found] <CAOvivQyUb8LfzWP-+ecki2WV2Fq8_qm-vCA0GNiu_nkC31nF-w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-07-12 12:30 ` Marta Bunge
       [not found] ` <SNT101-W529E9B5A38EF9C90E0B787DF440@phx.gbl>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marta Bunge @ 2011-07-12 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Shulman; +Cc: David Roberts, joyal.andre, categories

Dear Michael,
I remind you that it was Benabou who observed (and proved) the equivalence between anafunctors and representable distributors, reproduced in the nLab as "folklore", from which I concluded (without any knowledge of anafunctors) that the stack completion of a category C in S represents anafunctors with target C. I am glad that Makkai is now aware of this fact, which gives a universal flavor to his subject, whatever "morally" means. I know nothing about the "axiom of cardinal selection".

As for there being an example of an elementaru topos which does not satisfy  the "axiom of stack compleitons", Joyal gave one lomg ago and Lawvere mentioned it in his 1974 Montreal lectures. Take a group G with a proper class of subgroups having a small index in G. The topos [G, Sets] is an example. Also, so far as I know, it is not yet known (Hyland, Robinson, and Rosolini,"The discrete objects in the effective topos", Proc. London Math. Soc. (3) 60 (1990, 1-36)) whether the full internal subcategory Q on the subquotients of N in Eff (the effective topos) has an internal stack completion. The stack completion is identified as Orth(Delta 2), families of discrete objects.
 Regards,Marta

@ 2011-07-12 14:33   ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2011-07-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marta Bunge; +Cc: David Roberts, joyal.andre, categories

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am glad that Makkai is now aware of this fact, which gives a universal flavor to his subject, whatever "morally" means.

The paper I was referring to is the one that first introduced
anafunctors, so I think he's been aware of it since the beginning (I
suspect it was a primary motivation, even).  The word "morally" was my
own weasel word, to cover the fact that I didn't have time to look up
the paper and remind myself what precisely he actually wrote.  (-:

> As for there being an example of an elementary topos which does not satisfy  the "axiom of stack completions", Joyal gave one long ago and Lawvere  mentioned it in his 1974 Montreal lectures. Take a group G with a proper class of subgroups having a small index in G. The topos [G, Sets] is an example.

Ah, thanks.  That makes sense.  The question about the effective topos
is also intriguing!

Are there any interesting non-Grothendieck elementary toposes which
are known to satisfy the axiom of stack completions?  (By
"interesting" I mean to exclude toposes such as the category of sets
smaller than some strong limit cardinal -- not to say that such
toposes are not interesting for other purposes.)

Mike

@ 2011-07-12 18:45   ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2011-07-12 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marta.bunge; +Cc: David Roberts, joyal.andre, categories

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com> wrote:
> As for stacks being the primary motivation Makkai had for anafunctors, that is not the impression I got from people attending his course,

Okay, thanks for the correction.

> I forgot to mention that an elementary formulation of ASC ("axiom of stack completions") is till missing.

Does it not work to say that every internal category admits a weak
equivalence functor to an internal category which is a stack?

Mike

* RE: stacks (was: size_question_encore)
       [not found] ` <SNT101-W50F2D8CAE24ED9DBB14F95DF440@phx.gbl>
@ 2011-07-13  2:24   ` Michael Shulman
       [not found]   ` <16988_1310523866_4E1D01DA_16988_150_1_CAOvivQw6wf9CV0bwd0SbOJ=_5umAcXhTGwVJbMp0tV3oHXk+SQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Michael Shulman @ 2011-07-13  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marta.bunge; +Cc: categories

I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "elementary".  You wanted a
single statement that can be expressed in the internal logic of the
topos?  Many other properties that people refer to as "elementary",
such as the existence of finite limits or power objects, are defined
by quantifying over all objects and morphisms of the category in
question.  Is AC "elementary"?

@ 2011-07-13  9:16     ` Marta Bunge
From: Marta Bunge @ 2011-07-13  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Shulman, categories

Dear Mike,

Yes, AC is elementary. Of course, so is ASC by the same token. Quantifying over all epis is not a problem. Thanks for questioning me on that point. I remembered incorrectly what the problem was. Bob Pare and I wanted to posit something like the existence of a "representative (or universal) cover" as an axiom (RC), such that GT => RC => ASC, and also (ET + AC) => RC. We hoped to show that RC had good properties, and more importantly, that Eff satisfied it but this did not work. What is still open is  whether Eff satisfies ASC.
All the best,
Marta

       [not found] ` <SNT101-W37B84477F7D0AC1746F41CDF470@phx.gbl>
@ 2011-07-15  6:51   ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2011-07-15  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marta.bunge; +Cc: categories

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:16 AM, Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Bob Pare and I wanted to posit something like the existence of a "representative (or universal) cover" as an axiom (RC), such that GT => RC => ASC, and also (ET + AC) => RC. We hoped to show that RC had good properties, and more importantly, that Eff satisfied it but this did not work.

That's a very interesting question!  There seem to be a lot of axioms
of this flavor, which say in various different ways that AC fails "in
only a small way".  Some that I am aware of include:

* Small Violations of Choice (Blass):
   http://nlab.mathforge.org/nlab/show/small+violations+of+choice
* Small Cardinality Selection (Makkai):
   http://nlab.mathforge.org/nlab/show/small+cardinality+selection+axiom
* Axiom of Multiple Choice (Moerdijk & Palmgren):
   http://nlab.mathforge.org/nlab/show/axiom+of+multiple+choice
* Weakly Initial Sets of Covers (Roberts):
   http://nlab.mathforge.org/nlab/show/WISC
* The ex/lex completion of Set (or the topos in question) is well-powered
* The ex/lex completion of Set is a topos, i.e. Set has a generic proof

Some of these hold in any Grothendieck topos, but others apparently
need not, and I have no idea which of them might hold in Eff.  It
would be interesting to know if any of them imply ASC (or André's
proposed strengthening thereof).

Mike

* RE: stacks (was: size_question_encore)
       [not found]   ` <alpine.LRH.2.00.1107141113440.7062@siskin.dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
@ 2011-07-15 19:01     ` Eduardo Dubuc
From: Eduardo Dubuc @ 2011-07-15 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: categories

Is interesting to compare Joyal and Johnstone examples of Giraud faux
topos, which are very similar and very different at the same time.

Take a proper class (large set) I, and let

   A = N (natural numbers)   or  A = Z/2Z (cyclic group of order 2)

Let  M = A^(I) = {f | f(i) = 0 except for finitely many i,  A = N }.

or   M = A^I = { all f, A = Z/2Z }.

For any (small) subset K c I, let M_K = A^(K) or A^K respectively. We
have a continuous surjective morphism M ---> M_K.

M_K is a (small) set with a continuous action of M.

Let E = \beta M.  E is a Giraud topos. M_K \in E.

(A = N is Johnstone example,  A = Z/2Z is Joyal's)

In Johnstone case M_K has at least K different subobjects, used to
disprove that E is an elementary topos (can not have a subobject
classifier).

In Joyal case, all these subobjects dissappear, M_K is connected, and
does not have any non trivial subobjects.

Joyal knows that in this case (i have not tried to prove it) E has a
subobject classifier, and it is an elementary topos.

However we still have all the M ---> M_K, in particular one for each
singleton {i} c I, used to disprove the axiom of stalk completion.

****************

For any K, M_K is a monoid (group in Joyal case), and for K c J, a
continuous surjective morphism M_J ---> M_K, thus a large strict
promonoid (or progroup), and we have a large pro-object of Grothendieck
topoi E_K = \beta M_K and connected transition morphisms. It is known
(Kennison, Tierney, Moerdijk) that in this case \beta commutes with the
inverse limits, denoted lM, lE respectively,

\beta lM = lE (provided the KTM result holds for large limits).

We have a cones M ---> M_K   and  E ---> E_K, which determine arrows

M ---> lM,  E ---> lE. In Joyal case both arrows are isomorphisms (seems
easy for M, then by KTM it follows for E), which may be behind the fact
that E = lE is an elementary topos.

The category lE may not even have small hom sets in Johnstone case.

****************

Let now MA, EA be Joyal's case, and MP, EP be Johnstone case.

We have dense continous morphisms MP ---> MA  and  MP_K ---> MA_K which
determine arrows:

             EP ---> EA      (as categories EA Full ---> EP)

            EP_K ---> EA_K   (as categories EA_K Full ---> EP_K)

              lEP ---> lEA   (as categories lEA Full ---> lEP)

The indexed by K are Kosher, the others are False, some more false than
others.

***************

* RE: stacks (was: size_question_encore)
@ 2011-07-15 10:27 Marta Bunge
From: Marta Bunge @ 2011-07-15 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Shulman, Marta Bunge; +Cc: categories

Dear Mike,

Thank you for the information. It would take me a while to check them all.   "Weakly initial covers" sounds a bit like "RC" or like one of its variations.
All the best,
Marta

@ 2011-07-12 19:56 Marta Bunge
From: Marta Bunge @ 2011-07-12 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Shulman, categories

Dear Mike,

@ 2011-07-12 19:12 ` Eduardo Dubuc
       [not found]   ` <alpine.LRH.2.00.1107141113440.7062@siskin.dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
From: Eduardo Dubuc @ 2011-07-12 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Joyal; +Cc: mshulman, martabunge, categories, david.roberts

Dear all:

If we take the filtered poset of finite subsets of I, then taking the
finite products of C(2) gives an strict pro group, and this is the
example of a "Faux topos", SGA4 SLN 269 page 322.

Now, this example is exhibited as what we some times call Giraud topos
(all exactness properties but without generators)

My question is (answer probably well known to the experts):

Are Giraud topoi elementary topoi (that is, do they have an Omega and
exponentials) ?

greetings   e.d.

@ 2011-07-12 14:56 Marta Bunge
From: Marta Bunge @ 2011-07-12 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Shulman; +Cc: David Roberts, joyal.andre, categories

Dear Mike,

As for stacks being the primary motivation Makkai had for anafunctors, that is not the impression I got from people attending his course, as they not only expressed interest in this comment of mine, but also someone suggested reducing the theory of stacks to that of anafunctors. In fact, I was told by another that the introduction of anafunctors was quite different  from that of stacks, as it had more to do with expressing anafunctors in  FOLDS. Since you are interested in this, why don't you try getting it directly from the horse's mouth?

The answer to your other question (Are there any interesting non-Grothendieck elementary toposes whichare known to satisfy the axiom of stack completions?) is still open. Bob Pare and I investigated this question a long time ago (more than 30 years ago, actually) and in our attempts to formulate  this axiom, all we could say was that every Grothedieck topos satisfied it. I forgot to mention that an elementary formulation of ASC ("axiom of stack completions") is till missing. All I mean by it at the moment is that it holds for an elementary topos S if, for any category C in S, the stack completion \tilde([C]) of the fibration [C] over S which is the externalization of C, which is explicilty constructed, is equivalent to the externalization [\tilde(C)] of a category \tilde(C) in S.

Regards,Marta

@ 2011-07-12  1:20     ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2011-07-12  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marta Bunge; +Cc: david.roberts, joyal.andre, categories

       [not found] ` <1310362598.4e1a8be6a7800@webmail.adelaide.edu.au>
@ 2011-07-11 12:32   ` Marta Bunge
From: Marta Bunge @ 2011-07-11 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.roberts, joyal.andre; +Cc: categories

Dear David,

Whatever is published in categories is
of public domain so anyone can intervene. You have nothing to apologize for.

I am not acquainted with recent work of
Dorette Pronk, but I read her 1995 Utrecht thesis in detail since I was asked
to do so by her advisor. In it, she refers to my paper (Marta Bunge, "An
application of descent to a classification theorem for toposes" , Math.
Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 107 (1990) 59-79), where I prove, in Corollary 5.4 to
the main Theorem 5.1, the following, which is, oin the case of groupoids, what
you call the third way. It says that, if W is the class of isomorphisms classes
of weak equivalences of etale complete groupoids (ECG), then W admits a
calculus of right fractions, and the functor B from Gpd to Top induces an
equivalence ECG[W-1] \iso [Top], where [Top} denotes the category of
Grotehndieck toposes (over a base S not necessarily Sets) and isomorphism
classes of geometric morphisms. So, the purpose of the third way, in my  view,
is to prove classification theorems. However, I am not au courant of more
recent developments.

As for the other two approaches I
mentioned in my correspondence with Andre Joyal, their equivalence is not  that
obvious. In the 1-dimensional case, this is done in Bunge-Pare (1979)
Proposition 2.7, and in the 2-dimensional case it is done in Bunge-Hermida
(2010) Theorem 4-9.

Concerning size matters, let me observe
that my construction of the stack completion (Bunge, Cahiers 1979) is
meaningful regardless of size questions, that is, for any base topos S.  The
outcome, however, of applying it to an internal category need no longer  be
internal. For this reason I introduce an "axiom of stack completions"
which guarantees that stack completions of internal categories be again
internal,and which is satisfied by any S a Grothehdieck topos. The question of
stating such an axiom as an additional axiom to the ones for elementary toposes
was proposed as a problem by Lawvere in his Montreal lectures in 1974.

Good luck with your projects.

Marta

@ 2011-07-11  5:36 ` David Roberts
       [not found] ` <1310362598.4e1a8be6a7800@webmail.adelaide.edu.au>