categories - Category Theory list
* Re: "weakened" operads
@ 1997-11-20 19:51 categories
From: categories @ 1997-11-20 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:02:49 -0500 (EST)
From: James Stasheff <jds@math.upenn.edu>

perhaps relevant is the recent developments of bar constructions
for operads
cf the special case of going fromt he dg Lie operad to the L_\infty operad

	Until August 10, 1998, I am on leave from UNC
		and am at the University of Pennsylvania

	 Jim Stasheff		jds@math.upenn.edu

	146 Woodland Dr
        Lansdale PA 19446       (215)822-6707

	Jim Stasheff		jds@math.unc.edu
	Math-UNC		(919)-962-9607
	Chapel Hill NC		FAX:(919)-962-2568
	27599-3250

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, categories wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:07:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: john baez <baez@math.ucr.edu>
>
> In their book "Homotopy invariant structures on topological structures",
> Boardman and Vogt construct from any topological operad O a new one WO,
> which can be thought of as a "weakened" version of O in which all the
> laws of O now hold only up to homotopy in a coherent way.
>
> Has there been any subsequent work clarifying this construction?  Here
> I'm not interested so much in all the *other* approaches to infinite
> loop space machines, as in the notion of "weakening" a topological
> operad.  For example, Boardman and Vogt point out that their construction
> can be used to discuss homotopy colimits, which makes me wonder if the
> construction of WO from O could be done slickly using homotopy colimits.
> Has anyone discussed this?
>
> Best,
> John Baez

* "weakened" operads