categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Combining monads
@ 1998-01-16 18:20 categories
From: categories @ 1998-01-16 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:21:27 +0100
From: Jan Juerjens <juerjens@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE>

> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:21:51 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Tom Leinster <T.Leinster@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
>

> Is the pullback of a monadic functor along a monadic functor
> necessarily monadic?
> Is the diagonal of the pullback square monadic?
> Does this work if your restrict yourself to, say, finitary monadic
> functors?
>
> (E.g. it works for finitary monads on Set: the theory of sets with
> both ring and lattice structure (not interacting in any particular
> way) comes from a monad.)
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Leinster

Hi Tom,

if I'm not mistaken, this reduces for full isomorphism-closed embeddings to the
(finite) Intersection Problem (of full iso-closed subcategories) answered
negatively by Trnkova, Adamek, Rosicky ("Topological reflections revisited",
ProcAMS 108,3 (1990) p605; see also Tholen "Reflective Subcategories" TopAppl 27
(1987) p201, Adamek, Rosicky "Intersections of reflective subcategories" ProcAMS
103 (1988) p710).

Full iso-closed subcategories of locally lambda-presentable categories are
reflective and closed under lambda-directed colimits iff they are
lambda-orthogonal, so intersections of such subcategories are reflective
(Adamek, Rosicky "Locally presentable and Accessible Categories" CUP 94).

Bye, Jan

[ + thanks again for the supervisions ... :-) ]

* Re: Combining monads
@ 1998-01-15 21:10 categories
From: categories @ 1998-01-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:44:30 +1100 (EST)
From: Steve Lack <stevel@maths.usyd.edu.au>

> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 15:10:43 -0400 (AST)
> From: categories <cat-dist@mta.ca>
>
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:21:51 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Tom Leinster <T.Leinster@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
>

> Is the pullback of a monadic functor along a monadic functor
> necessarily monadic?
> Is the diagonal of the pullback square monadic?
> Does this work if your restrict yourself to, say, finitary monadic
> functors?
>
> (E.g. it works for finitary monads on Set: the theory of sets with
> both ring and lattice structure (not interacting in any particular
> way) comes from a monad.)
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Leinster

Let K be a complete and cocomplete category, and Mnd(K) the category
of monads on K and strict morphisms of monads. If T and S are monads
on K which preserve (alpha-)filtered colimits (for a regular cardinal
alpha), then
	(i)the coproduct T+S exists in Mnd(K)
	(ii)this coproduct is ``algebraic'', meaning that the diagonal
	    of the pullback square
			       K^S

			  K^T-->K
	    is the forgetful functor K^(T+S)-->K
	(iii)the projections K^(T+S)-->K^T and K^(T+S)-->K^S are
            monadic.
Much can be done without completeness, but the proofs become a bit harder.

See the paper
	G.M.Kelly, A unified treatment of transfinite constructions for
	free algebras, free monoids, colimits, associated sheaves, and so on,
	Bull. Austral. Math. Soc. 22(1980):1--83
for a survey of many such results.

In fact if K is locally finitely presentable then the category
Mnd_f(K) of finitary monads on K and strict morphisms of monads
is itself locally finitely presentable; for this see my paper
``On the monadicity of finitary monads'', to appear in JPAA, but
in the meantime available at
http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/res/Catecomb/Lack/1997-29.html.

Regards,

Steve.

* Re: Combining monads
@ 1998-01-14 23:38 categories
From: categories @ 1998-01-14 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:58:50 +1100
From: Ross Street <street@mpce.mq.edu.au>

>Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:21:51 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Tom Leinster <T.Leinster@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
>

>Is the pullback of a monadic functor along a monadic functor
>necessarily monadic?

No. And I seem to remember this was one of the main points of the thesis
(under Lawvere) of Michel Thie'baud. The thesis title was "Self-dual
structure-semantics & algebraic categories" (Dalhousie University, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, August 1971). Comonads (= cotriples) in Mod (= Bimod = Prof =
Dist) are the subject. Using these to define "algebraic", Michel obtained
stability under pullback.
--Ross

* Combining monads
@ 1998-01-14 19:10 categories