Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-14 10:12 ama
From: ama @ 2020-04-14 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:

Im apologize for the OT but Im desperately looking for the answer to a
question regarding BitKeeper and, since I heard about its vitues and
also about it becoming open source in this list, I thought you guys
wouldn't mind helping me find the answer to my problem.

I've been using Git for some time now, but after hearing here about BK,
Im trying it out to see if I can change to it. At the moment I'm quite
happy with it and I very much like it's smaller than Git.

In Git I use a remote SSH "original" repo instead of a public (HTTP)
service, since I want to have distributed copies (several workstations
and laptops) and a "non interactive" copy on a server of mine. I'm not
sure I am making a lot of sense, since I'm not very expert on Git either
(I just use a few basic functions) and English isn't my first language.

What I actually need/want is to create a remote SSH repo from my local
(working) repo. I haven't found how to do that neither in the
documentation nor the Users Forum. Alas I havent found a mailing list to
subscribe to and ask for help. That's why I'm asking you guys for help.

Again sorry for the OT and thank you so much for reading until here. :)

Cheers,
Ángel

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-14 14:33 ` lm
From: lm @ 2020-04-14 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I'm the BitKeeper guy, so asking here or me is fine.  dev at bitmover.com
also works.

Does

	bk help url

not answer your question?  I think you can do

	bk clone local_repo ssh://<host>/<pathname>

and maybe

	cd local_repo
	bk parent ssh://<host>/<pathname>

but that depends on how you want things to flow by default.

I'm happy to answer questions here, seems like Dave is looking at BK
too, but I'm also happy to not spam the list and take it offline.

--lm

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-14 21:27   ` ama
From: ama @ 2020-04-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Larry,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 07:33:14AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Does
>
>	bk help url
>
> not answer your question?  I think you can do

It does, now that I know what to look for.  Thank you so much for your
help here and by your direct email (I replied to your email address
instead to the list address before, as I intended).

Cheers,
Ángel

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-14 21:46     ` lm
From: lm @ 2020-04-14 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:27:48PM +0200, Angel M Alganza wrote:
> Hello Larry,
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 07:33:14AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> >Does
> >
> >	bk help url
> >
> >not answer your question?  I think you can do
>
> It does, now that I know what to look for.  Thank you so much for your
> help here and by your direct email (I replied to your email address
> instead to the list address before, as I intended).

Happy to help.

bk helptool

is sort of useful because it has categories.

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-14 23:51       ` dave
From: dave @ 2020-04-14 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Larry McVoy wrote:

> bk helptool
>
> is sort of useful because it has categories.

Wow!  In a previous life we had a doc tool something like that.

-- Dave

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-14 23:55         ` lm
From: lm @ 2020-04-14 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 09:51:25AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> >bk helptool
> >
> >is sort of useful because it has categories.
>
> Wow!  In a previous life we had a doc tool something like that.

It's fairly generic, you can stick any set of man pages in there.
Kinda point and clicky but it has served us well.  It's sorta like
a web browser, you can click on the stuff that look like links.

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-15  0:18           ` lm
From: lm @ 2020-04-15  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 04:55:44PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 09:51:25AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >
> > >bk helptool
> > >
> > >is sort of useful because it has categories.
> >
> > Wow!  In a previous life we had a doc tool something like that.
>
> It's fairly generic, you can stick any set of man pages in there.
> Kinda point and clicky but it has served us well.  It's sorta like
> a web browser, you can click on the stuff that look like links.

And all open source, it's just a tcl/tk app.  So if someone could
get use out of it I can tease it loose from the BK source tree.

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-15  0:30             ` athornton
From: athornton @ 2020-04-15  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Apr 14, 2020, at 5:18 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> And all open source, it's just a tcl/tk app.  So if someone could
> get use out of it I can tease it loose from the BK source tree.

I liked tk all right.

tcl on the other hand…it's like shell but much more hateful.  Like shell if the only thing you could use was nested evals.

Perl/tk on the other hand, I liked a great deal.

Adam

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-15  0:34               ` lm
From: lm @ 2020-04-15  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 05:30:08PM -0700, Adam Thornton wrote:

> > On Apr 14, 2020, at 5:18 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> >
> > And all open source, it's just a tcl/tk app.  So if someone could
> > get use out of it I can tease it loose from the BK source tree.
>
> I liked tk all right.
>
> tcl on the other hand???it's like shell but much more hateful.  Like shell if the only thing you could use was nested evals.

You and I would get along great.  I *hate* tcl, love tk.  I hate tcl so
much that I paid some guys to create a C-like language that compiles down
to tcl byte codes.  It is quite pleasant IMHO, has some perl stuff too.

Check it out at

http://little-lang.org

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-15  0:53             ` ama
From: ama @ 2020-04-15  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 05:18:41PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> [...]

Very much so.

>> It's sorta like a web browser, you can click on the stuff that look
>> like links.

But without a web browser or an internet connection, which is great.

>And all open source, it's just a tcl/tk app.  So if someone could
>get use out of it I can tease it loose from the BK source tree.

That might be useful for some people who would read on a graphical
interface rather than the cli.  I prefer the cli so, I've copied over
the man pages to /usr/local/man/, which interface Im much more
confortable (mainly pagination keys) with than TK or bk help.

I'm really liking BitKeeper.  I'm so glad I decided to ask my original
question to you guys (been hesitating for a few days).

Cheers,
Ángel

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-15  1:05               ` lm
From: lm @ 2020-04-15  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm really liking BitKeeper.  I'm so glad I decided to ask my original
> question to you guys (been hesitating for a few days).

I'm a kernel guy first, got sucked into source management because they
all sucked.  BitKeeper is the first distributed source management system,
Git and Hg copied the ideas from BK (poorly).  BK is what you get when
you put a systems guy on source management.  I built a solid team of A
level players and we went to town.

There is some cool systems shit in BK, be happy to talk about it if
it is not boring people.

* [COFF] OT BitKeeper: Creating a remote SSH repo
@ 2020-04-15  4:24                 ` dave
From: dave @ 2020-04-15  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Larry McVoy wrote:

> You and I would get along great.  I *hate* tcl, love tk.  I hate tcl so
> much that I paid some guys to create a C-like language that compiles
> down to tcl byte codes.  It is quite pleasant IMHO, has some perl stuff
> too.

Woo-hoo!  I hate TCL but love Perl/Tk and am using it for a simple Gooey
front-end for some scripts that I have.  I mean, about a page to write a
simple "Hello, world" in X11?  That BTW is my benchmark for any language;
not only does it demonstrate its complexity but also its fundamental
structure, and I'm very much a learn-by-example person (it's something
weird in my brain that I can pick up a new language just by seeing a few
examples of it).

Number of programming languages I've used over 50 years:

     aneurin% wc -l ~/languages
 	  48 /home/dave/languages

And that's counting all assembly languages as one, etc; 360, PDP-8,
PDP-11, Z-80, VAX, 2650, Intel...  Currently looking at ARM for something
or other.  I collect programming languages like some people collect
stamps.

I was also pretty good at French in school :-)

-- Dave